What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Disney+ The Mandalorian (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
It’s refreshing to have a show returning for a new season in a new year. I can’t be the only one frustrated with the Netflix/HBO model of waiting two or more years between seasons.
I think a couple reasons for it to be back in a year is because DIsney wants some kind of live action Star Wars this year and because Dave Filoni must be used to getting things done since he was doing 20-some episodes a year for the animated shows.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I'd bet the show returns in early October, so its 8-episode run can be finished by December, which is when Disney plans the WandaVision show to air.

If these streaming services keep a number of popular shows going (once a week) through the year, they're much more likely not to lose paying viewers.

However, I continue to believe that showing The Falcon and the Winter Soldier in August is a bad idea. Most people are on vacation in August, families are returning kids to school, etc. No one is really paying attention to movies or television. I still think much of Netflix's failure with The Defenders show was that it premiered in August (2017). I'm the kind of person that would watch the show immediately (once a day) and I was away when Defenders premiered, so I had no choice but to wait. Judging from the results, I wasn't the only one. If it's true that Netflix measures social media reaction to a program as one of its metrics for a show's success (that's long been the rumor), then it makes sense that such reaction would be soft in August.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Why does it matter if the show is watched the day it is released or months later, why is this a big deal for streaming services? Seems like this is still a mentality that is stuck in the old way of broadcast TV and ratings. The great thing about streaming services is that it will be there when you are ready to watch. An August release shouldn't matter. If you are on vacation, it will be there waiting for you when you get back. If you are like me, and can't afford vacations, it gives me something to do during the summer.

I think we need to move beyond this notion that a streaming show is only successful if it is watched in huge amounts right out of the gate. I have still only watched the first episode of "Picard" because I am further along in some other stuff that I'm trying to finish up. That doesn't mean "Picard" isn't a hit in my house. The only problem for me is I can't really participate in the discussion on forums but, that's not that big of a deal and I'll catch up eventually.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I think we need to move beyond this notion that a streaming show is only successful if it is watched in huge amounts right out of the gate.

I agree here, but the streamers don't. They want to make a splash, hopefully big enough that it boosts their subscriber base.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I would rather all season episodes be dumped at once so I can subscribe, binge over the weekend, then cancel my sub the following week. As it is, I’m having to pay for three months of service rather than a single month to watch the only show on the service I care about.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I would rather all season episodes be dumped at once so I can subscribe, binge over the weekend, then cancel my sub the following week. As it is, I’m having to pay for three months of service rather than a single month to watch the only show on the service I care about.

Couldn't you just wait to subscribe and binge until all episodes have been released?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

The goal of these streaming services is to keep subscribers, which is why the one-per-week model works best for them. Disney+ has a pretty aggressive plan of rolling out new shows, so subscribers will want to keep the service all year.

Another reason to not put them all up at once is that it severely limits social media exposure, which is something the streaming services count on.

I personally do not like the "dump 'em all" approach.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I personally do not like the "dump 'em all" approach.

Same. It's easier for me to do one episode a week than try to race through 10 or 13 in a weekend and avoid all social media of any kind. Because you know someone waited until the minute they were posted, watched all of them and then started writing articles with spoilers in the titles.

The weekly strategy helps to build anticipation for the next week, giving the series some breathing room.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I have not yet tested it myself, but I just read a post on AVS saying that Mando when played via an AppleTV 4K is now working in Atmos. It was always flagged for Atmos, but it only played in 5.1.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Couldn't you just wait to subscribe and binge until all episodes have been released?
I could, but then I would have to basically go on a 10 week social media blackout and there’s always that one guy who walks in to work the day after episode 7 airs and says, “Man, I can’t believe they killed off blah-blah-blah!”

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
Mandalorian breaking the boundaries on shooting SFX series.

The Mandalorian was shot on a holodeck-esque set with Unreal Engine, video shows

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020...eck-esque-set-with-unreal-engine-video-shows/

We got a tremendous percentage of shots that actually worked in-camera, just with the real-time renders in engine, that I didn’t think Epic was going to be capable of. For certain types of shots, depending on the focal length and shooting with anamorphic lensing, there’s a lot of times where it wasn’t just for interactive – we could see in camera, the lighting, the interactive light, the layout, the background, the horizon. We didn’t have to mash things together later. Even if we had to up-res or replace them, we had the basis point and all the interactive light.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Same. It's easier for me to do one episode a week than try to race through 10 or 13 in a weekend and avoid all social media of any kind. Because you know someone waited until the minute they were posted, watched all of them and then started writing articles with spoilers in the titles.

The weekly strategy helps to build anticipation for the next week, giving the series some breathing room.

I don’t binge, and was clueless about the practice of dumping a complete season at once. I learned the hard way with the Lost in Space reboot. I watched S1/EP1 and when I went to join an online discussion, there were participants that had watched the whole season the minute it dumped and were talking about it.

That was it for me. I actually hated EP1 anyway, so on to other shows. I enjoy reading various articles and discussions for shows that benefit from having time to digest and analyze what one just saw....I am thinking Westworld, here.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It also doesn’t seem to be a great way to maximize your investment. Every time Netflix or someone else does one of those big full season all at once releases, they get a bunch of the same press leading up to it that they’d get with a regular style of release, and then it all falls off a cliff a couple days afterwards.

The Mandalorean was front and center in pop culture talk for eight weeks. By contrast, Netflix’s new season of Stranger Things was a topic of discussion for a couple days and then fell off the pop culture radar. It certainly wasn’t dominating discussions in its eighth week of release, as it might have been if they came out one at a time.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
From a personal POV, discussions are easier with shows released one episode at a time. There's time to get a discussion going about just that one episode, and anticipation builds for the next one. And we only need discuss one episode at a time.

Whereas a show dumped at one go, the die-hards watch it all in a day or two (OK, maybe three), and get on the forums etc to discuss it. Slowpokes like me can't binge so quickly, so I have to stay off those forums to avoid spoilers, and finally go in only when I've finished, by which time firstly it's a pain to catch up, and secondly those die-hards have already finished discussing, so anything I have to say has probably already been said, or even if I say something new/different, the die-hards have moved onto something else and don't respond, so it isn't much of a discussion.

Also, trying to discuss an entire season's worth of developments probably means only the big story points get much traction, and finer points get missed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sp2024
Recent bookmarks