What's new

The Man From UNCLE?? (1 Viewer)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I ordered just Season 1. Waiting on it to arrive sometime this next week.

Gary "since the first season is universally praised as the best, I thought it made sense to go with it" O.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
For those keeping track, my set arrived today, after shipping 12/3. Very nearly flawless box; some minor scratches on the side.

BobSchneider

Second Unit
Hmmmm I wondering if the people who are getting the trashed out sets are getting them shipped by the free USPS media mail (ie = parcel post) or by other methods? Or is t/L doing a pee poor job of packaging the sets so they get smash up reguardless of the shipping method? Like the set the reviewer on http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=31609 got his so smashed up it was lucky the dvds worked?

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
I think it is purely the luck of the draw on whether you receive a good one like I did. I didn't pay for any but the cheapest shipping possible. There are a lot of variables in the handling of these boxes all the way down to your local mailman. If he is exhausted and had a bad day delivering Xmas cards, he could decide to punt your box up on to your porch like I witnessed the other day.

troy evans

Screenwriter
Okay, That's completely unacceptable. If he's had a bad day, oh well. No one told him to persue a career in postal service. Postal carriers make damn good money and need to refrain from taking thier shit out on my or others mail. I think you should report the postal carrier you saw doing that. Sorry for the off topic rant.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I order a lot of stuff through the mail and the vast majority of it arrives in good shape. But once in a while, boxes get dinged, fall off the stack in the truck, whatever, and you get one that's not in good shape. I'd say if anyone is unhappy with how their UNCLE box arrived, contact Time Life. They were very accomodating with the Get Smart box sets last year.

I happen to think TL did a good job packing this up. Mine arrived in a hard cardboard inner shell, inside the packing box. Oh, BTW, I used a clear plastic wrapper that goes around Christmas cards as a "ribbon" to make it easier to remove season 3 from the box.

I watched a tiny bit yesterday, but today is the day when I get to go home and begin watching season 1.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory

A bit more off topic here but one of my postal carriers would lay a giant heavy box full of DVDs balanced on the curved top of my little mailbox. I saw him do this and was able to get to it before it fell in the street. This postal carrier bent an autographed photo of Dorothy Lee I had received in the mail marked do not bend all over and stiff enough that it might seem impossible to bend. Still, I have not received similarly damaged boxes from the postal service since I complained but a ups package of paint recently arrived looking severly water damaged, it was soggy but the box and the packaging paper took all of the water.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Watched The Vulcan Affair today, and I think the show looks great, especially for one that's 43 years old. I know older shows often look better than 80s and 90s programs, but I think this one is cleaned up nicely. If the first episode is an indication of how well TL cleaned it up, I am satisfied.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Season 1 Disc 11 has SOLO the 70 minute or so color version of "The Vulcan Affair". That was fun to see. The color theatrical "Vulcan" version, (not in this set), "To Trap A Spy" is even longer. Footage from "To Trap A Spy", the scenes with Luciana Paluzzi and the scene showing the attack on THRUSH headquarters from "The Spy With My Face" show up in the S1 episode,"The Four Steps Affair." My appetite is whetted for the release of the theatrical UNCLE 'movies'.

I was surprised to see Pat Harrington Jr. playing a character he created for his comedy act and seen on The Steve Allen Show, Guido Panzini, in "The Bow Wow Affair".

Ar3d

Auditioning
Real Name
Ared
I do like that series as it debuted on the 1st of September 1964 and ended on the 1st of January 1968. The series has four (4) seasons with 105 episodes and was based on a novel written by David McDaniel entitled U.N.C.L.E. It follows the exploits of two secret agents: one American and one Russian.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
I know the third season catches a lot of grief but Looking through them I would say it was the best of times and the worst of times. The best of times were two great Harlan Ellison episodes, The Do It Yourself Dreadful Affair and The Pieces of Fate Affair. The Suburbia Affair and The Hula Doll Affair are also a hoot to watch as well. On the other hand, when Uncle is bad, it is very bad. Watching Robert Vaughn and David McCallum in some of these episodes, I get the feeling they know how bad they are.

However I do think the thing that killed UNCLE in the third season was changing the time slot. If you look at television, changing timeslots with shows very rarely works. Mash was a ratings winner Tuesdays at 8PM yet
when CBS moved it to Fridays at 8PM to compete with Rockford Files, The Rockford Files clobbered Mash. Yet for the 4th season, it was moved to a completely different day. It looks like NBC wanted to kill the show.

Og Oggilby

Auditioning
Real Name
Greg
Ours shipped on Dec. 5th and arrived on the Dec. 21st. in good condition. Feeling a little better about Time Life now, but I still can't believe they don't use tracking numbers on their orders, and not shipping in the order of the placed orders is not good policy.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
Another UNCLE set is in the mail. This was apparently the online order that they couldn't find when I called them. The funny thing is that the order was made 4 days before it was supposed to be officially on sale but was only shipped on Dec 17.

BobSchneider

Second Unit
Well I took the series set plunge today and not though time life. My a favorite used dvd store in pasadena ca. had a pristine used season set (lol was probably the la times or la weekly reviewers copy LOL;) ). I got a insane deal , I got it for 140.00 and it case is clean , the set was obvious on view once for reviewing or ripping to their hard drive. It very cool package, Im in the process of watch disk one season three, LOL saving the best for last . So far the video capture varies greatly from very good to so so like the Ironside sets. Like I said in a earlier post T/L making good lemon aid with some very so so tapes or film. So far its very cool and I was blown away to find the Man of Uncle series set so soon, used , in such pristine condiction and for a great price:D . Well I got merry christmas to me gift Now , Santa came two days early for me
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
:) :emoji_thumbsup: :D

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
I've watched the first six shows from this huge set, and if this fantastic, briefcase, four season set is not the DVD Release of the year then there is no justice. I had never seen this show before, and I am completely blown away by the impossible coolness of it. What a great show, and worth every penny of the full retail release price. Time Life knows how to do things right. With last year's Get Smart and this year's Man From U.N.C.L.E. they have set a standard that will be hard to approach, let alone beat. Color me very impressed. If Route 66 could have been handled so well, wouldn't that have been great.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Is everyone else loving the DVDs as much as I am? I was off this week (always take the week after the holidays off, if you can; much more relaxing) so I have been watching UNCLE a lot.

Anyone know whatever happened to May Heatherly (Heather McNabb on the show)? Seems she faded away from US film and TV projects shortly after UNCLE. Her IMDb listing is lacking details. Just wondering whatever happened to her, and why the UNCLE producers stopped using her?

BobSchneider

Second Unit
Sam Favate said:
Is everyone else loving the DVDs as much as I am? I was off this week (always take the week after the holidays off, if you can; much more relaxing) so I have been watching UNCLE a lot.

Yeah Im having a blast watch'n my Man form U.n.c.l.e. set, Ive sampled eposides form S3, S2 and S1 and so far they all have been great fun, and I'm really really glad I spend the 140.00 for the pristine used series set I found dec 22 in my favorite used dvd store. It a great fun show as long as you dont take too seriously, I like to call it Wild Wild West in Brooks brother suits and Walther P38's.;) It very very Cool Fun worth the money spent in my books.:) :emoji_thumbsup: :D
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
Actually, you have it reversed. The Wild Wild West is The Man From U.N.C.L.E. in the Old West, since U.N.C.L.E. preceded WWW on the air by a year.

BobSchneider

Second Unit

Well yes true, but my really point is their both fun escapist tv dramas that should not be taken too seriously or over analyzed or you kill the fun of the shows. ;)

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Whew! Trying to place my order on the website was impossible: the site assumes you are in the US, so when entering my billing address, I got stymied with "State", which for obvious reasons none of the 50 options is going to match what actually appears on my credit card bills. Entering the mailing address I wanted it shipped to didn't work either, presumably when trying to verify it American Express's database responded that the address didn't match their records.

The good news though is that after spending nearly 25 minutes on the phone with a nice young lady at Time Life's customer service, she was able to place the order through at her end. Now here's hoping that it all actually works!

(The 15% coupon only applies to internet orders, but she gave me 10% and free shipping, which I think actually works out better than 15% off :D )

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks