What's new

The Man From UNCLE?? (1 Viewer)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Thanks again, Mark T., for posting this link for me in another thread. It's quite an interesting read. :)

I hope the four seasons are eventually available through Amazon.com. I don't care for the briefcase packaging (I prefer the way these are packaged on Amazon.com), but that's just me.

But beyond this, Amazon.com has been excellent about allowing for returns whenever I receive dinged or otherwise damaged packages. And I've had to return several DVDs over the years. Thank goodness they let you keep the initial shipment until the second one arrives. That way, one can mix and match as they need.

I searched on Amazon.com for the series today, and I see that there are nine copies available from sellers (Complete Season One). I'm assuming that Time-Life has the sole distribution rights at this point? I don't know for sure.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
There are also two bonus discs in the briefcase that are not part of any season. They're in cardboard sleeves under the four season sets.

The box may be somewhat clumsy, but it is a cool package and the complete series and its extras can't be beat.

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
Ditto. The price still stings a little, but is little more than I paid for the whole run of Star Trek Classic.

BobSchneider

Second Unit
Hmmmm there's going to be alot of PO buyers of the time life set that will feel they got burned buy T/L and may not be willing to shell out a top dollar on the next T/L series set only yo have the price cut dramatically a few months later. I got lucky and found a pristine use man from uncle season set used around christmas time for $150.00 but if I bought full price from T/L and got one of damage in shipping sets I be really really cheesed off right now and have serious doubts about buying anything again from T/L . It not good bussiness if you care about the long term.:frowning:

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

That should be me. Indeed, my set was very slightly dinged in shipment, so the cardboard attache case was a bit bashed, but not enough to affect the sets inside. And I should be extra miffed because I had to jump through hoops to get this: Time-Life doesn't ship outside USA, so I had to use one of the many re-shipment services available (where you ship to a US address, and the service ships it the rest of the way to Singapore). Further, Time-Life's website simply could not handle a non-US credit card (billing address couldn't be entered properly since they automatically assume you are in the US and "require" you to select a state, so I had to telephone and place the order that way. Finally, the re-shipment service went and paid the (SG) government sales tax on the purchase: we are allowed tax-free imports up to S$400, and the price alone after conversion was below S$400, but after shipping costs were added it exceeded S$400. The really stupid thing is that shipment within the US was actually free, but because of that a notional shipping cost was added... :angry:

Oddly, I feel rather sanguine about it. After all, if I was going to get worked up about price decreases, I'd be even more depressed about the fact that I paid S$9,000 for my Pioneer 434 4 years ago, when a 508 today goes for under S$5,000...

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
If the set would have been released to all retailers last year then it probably would have lowered by $50 by October anyway. Those who ordered from Time Life shouldn't feel to burnt. :)

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
I'm in for this one if the online (Amazon, etc) price drops to the $125 range for the set. Otherwise, "Santa" will bring this one to me in Dec.

Anthony_Munn

Auditioning

Personally,I'm just going to wait and see if Deep Discount carries it,and snag it at a much lower price during their big November/December sale.

michael_ks

Screenwriter

Be sure to purchase early into the November sale to ensure delivery by Christmas...

Michael "Wondering now if next week is too optimistic to expect 'Invaders' from Deep Discount"_ks

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

I bought the set from Time Life back in November and am still watching it, and enjoying every minute. One of the best TV box sets ever produced, IMO.

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
Cheers Sam, you've pushed me over the edge, just pre-ordered the set. :D

What are the extras like? Also, how sturdy is the cardboard briefcase?

Seymour Uranowitz

Stunt Coordinator
Many people who ordered it last year were aware that T/L's exclusive on this title was going to expire this fall, and street prices would be lower as a result. I'm just glad I was able to use a coupon to lessen the pain.

DavidHAN

Agent
I was one of the people that had to have TMFU as soon as I could get my spy loving hands on it.
Still haven't watched very many episodes. I do that all the time. Buy and it sits on the shelf.

As for the briefcase, be very carefull. Don't use the handle to hold it. I could see the handle coming off quite easily. The briefcase is made of thickish cardboard but not made for briefcase usage, if you get my drift.

However it does look cool on the shelf. And functional at holding all the seasons as it was meant to do.

BTW; my handle hasn't broken yet.

Kenneth V

Stunt Coordinator
I was one of the first to get mine and just started watching season 3. The set is fantastic. The packaging is good, but like DavidHAN, I wouldn't use the briefcase for real. My handle has not snapped yet either, but you never know.

The one thing that gets me is the 2 bonus discs....I thought that would be exclusive to TimeLife. :frowning:

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
How's the PQ?
The same, worse, or better than other TV shows of its time?
Thanks.
Yeah, don't buy Pioneer!!!
JJ
Enjoy your 508.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks