What's new

The Magician - Bill Bixby (1 Viewer)

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It's Tuesday night, let's all gather around the television and watch the Amazing Tony Blake!

I'm now on episode 9, which originally aired on Tuesday, December 18, 1973. You can read Doug Wallen's synopsis and review here

I did enjoy that the episode took a behind-the-scenes of Tony Blake's magic as he trained the assistant's for an upcoming show. But I must confess that I didn't think this one was as good as last week's episode, and it dragged on a bit longer than I wanted it to.

Looks like I'll take a hiatus next week as it appears that they showed a repeat of episode one, The Manhunters.

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
Thanks to all the good vibes on this forum I'd been thinking I would invest in the Magician at some point. Thanks to the largesse of my employer I found myself with a little extra cash this week, and "some point" became today. Just watched the pilot and what a fun slice of 1970's tv Americana. Great guest stars to boot. I'd never seen the Magician but am definitely hooked and will look forward to more adventures with Tony Dorian (Blake) as I have the chance.

Thanks also to VEI for seeing through to completion all the shows they licensed from CBS. VEI has its flaws (I avoided the Nero Wolfe issue, but my first disc of Longstreet had to be exchanged) but they have chugged out a bunch of stuff that CBS apparently wasn't gonna touch with a ten foot pole, and I'm very glad to own the five or so of those releases I purchased this year. Here's hoping early 2018 brings announcement of another cluster of classic shows to be brought to dvd.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Thanks to all the good vibes on this forum I'd been thinking I would invest in the Magician at some point. Thanks to the largesse of my employer I found myself with a little extra cash this week, and "some point" became today. Just watched the pilot and what a fun slice of 1970's tv Americana. Great guest stars to boot. I'd never seen the Magician but am definitely hooked and will look forward to more adventures with Tony Dorian (Blake) as I have the chance.

Thanks also to VEI for seeing through to completion all the shows they licensed from CBS. VEI has its flaws (I avoided the Nero Wolfe issue, but my first disc of Longstreet had to be exchanged) but they have chugged out a bunch of stuff that CBS apparently wasn't gonna touch with a ten foot pole, and I'm very glad to own the five or so of those releases I purchased this year. Here's hoping early 2018 brings announcement of another cluster of classic shows to be brought to dvd.

I'll probably purchase that Magician release sometime in the future, as well as Nero Wolfe-- I have not seen either one, and I think both will be very entertaining.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave

I've loved watching my set of The Magician in recent weeks after reading so many positive comments about the series over the years. It was a great blind buy.

As for VEI, hopefully 2018 will finally see the release of Evening Shade. It's the last series on VEI's 2015 list that still remains to be seen. Once that's out, maybe VEI will have a new list of shows they're preparing.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
After a few weeks hiatus, yesterday was another Tuesday, and another time for Anthony Blake, The Magician.
I'm now on episode 10, which originally aired on Tuesday, January 8, 1974. You can read Doug Wallen's synopsis here.
I'm in agreement with Doug, this was more of a by the numbers episode, and not nearly as good as the last couple of episodes. It was nice to see Leslie Parrish and Joe Camponella in this one.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Tuesday night, and a new episode of The Magician. Episode 11 originally aired on Tuesday, January 15th, 1974.
A brand new opening credits for the show that I liked, but I was dismayed to see that Max and Dennis Pomeroy are no longer around. I like Joe Sirola but he's no Keene Curtis, who I thought did a wonderful job.
This one had a great group of actors: John Colicos, Joe Maross, and the great Lloyd Nolan. What a voice!

So instead of living on the plane, it appears that Tony has moved into the Magic Castle. The great thing about that is it gives them the opportunity to showcase real magicians on the show. Along with Anthony Blake we get magic from Dai Vernon and Mark Wilson.

This is the first of a two-parter, so I will have to wait until next week to see how this ends. Also, I am not linking Doug Wallen's post on this episode as I haven't read it yet, as I want to stay away from any spoilers.

I'll be back next week. until then, keep the magic alive!

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It's another Tuesday night and a chance for me to catch the 2nd part of The Illusion of the Curious Counterfeit, which originally aired on Tuesday, January 21, 1974. You can read Doug Wallen's synopsis here.
I really liked this two-part episode. More magic from Mark Wilson, and we even get to see his son Greg. I hope we continue to see these small clips of other magicians in the later episodes.

Oh, and Barbara Rhoades in a bathtub is always a delight.

9c2bf2bf8b4435f379039749fff305f5--bubble-baths.jpg

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I've only watched a few episodes of the series, but I'm a Bixby fan, so I have it on my want list. I was watching The Incredible Hulk today; the episode was My Favorite Magician. I loved how they paid homage to The Magician by having him portray a magician, and it paid homage to My Favorite Martian by having Ray Walston guest star.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Oh, and Barbara Rhoades in a bathtub is always a delight.

9c2bf2bf8b4435f379039749fff305f5--bubble-baths.jpg

I have always enjoyed her ever since I saw her wiggle a dental instrument through her dress in "Shakiest Gun In The West". Maybe why I have had a lifelong fascination with redheads. :D I have enjoyed seeing her pop up in various roles on The Magician and Mannix as well as Petrocelli.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
It has been interesting to see all of the cross pollination between this show and Mission:Impossible (Barry Crane, Laurence Heath, Sutton Roley
I'm just starting to watch the show now. As near as I can tell from watching the end credits, the entire production team from Mission:Impossible was working on The Magician. It makes sense as MI had just finished the prior season. I kept thinking how much the shot composition looked very much like the 70's MI during "The Manhunters". Sure enough, Ronald W. Browne from the last three years of MI is the Director of Photography on this episode of The Magician. I recognized many other names in production as well.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Tuesday means...
BixbyIndividualCards-wm.jpg

The Magician
Episode 13: The Illusion of the Stainless Steel Lady
originally aired on Tuesday, January 28, 1974
You can read Doug Wallen's synopsis here.
This was a very enjoyable episode, and one I rate higher than the last five eps.
I was surprised about what happened to the reporter at the beginning of the episode, and that Anthony Blake actually took a beating. Also, this is the first episode I know of where he isn't using his driving gloves.
The cast was great in this one. Yes, a lot of the same people that were on MI. Very interesting. Would have liked to have seen more of Ian Wolfe. What a great character actor. And nice to see Mark Leonard without Vulcan ears. The Mark Wilson cameo at the end was nice as well.

One thing that puzzles me. Since Tony doesn't appear have a plane anymore, why is Jim the pilot still around?

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It's time once again for...

1973_television_the_magician_bill_bixby.jpg

The Magician
Episode 14: The Illusion of the Queen's Gambit
originally aired on Tuesday, February 4, 1974
This was a solid entry in the series. It was great to see Max Pomeroy again! I thought he was out now that they got Dominick in the show. Glad to see I was wrong here, but I wished they would have used him more. He disappears for the last half of the show.
Nice to see Shatner here, before getting his role on Barbary Coast. Also nice to see Paul Mantee, Brooke Bundy, and of course the magicians, Peter Pit and Mark Wilson.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Another time-traveling Tuesday with Anthony Blake as...

The Magician
Episode 15: The Illusion of Black Gold
originally aired on Tuesday, February 11, 1974​

Another enjoyable episode. Great to see some actors I haven't seen for a while. Lynda Day George, Milton Selzer, Eric Braeden. I am surprised this show didn't do better back in the day. I love the magic bits with Mark Wilson and his son.
This was the first one that I remember seeing David H. Chase name as the staff writer. Had no idea he was involved in this show.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Last night was another Tuesday with Anthony Blake night..

The Magician
Episode 16: The Illusion of the Lost Dragon
originally aired on Tuesday, February 18, 1974​

I am scratching my head why this series didn't do well enough back in the day. It has good storylines, great actors, and best of all, magic! The small bits with Mark Wilson and his son fit so well with the show. I have enjoyed most every episode.

I'm sorry to see that I now have only one disc of episodes left.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm a day late on this one.

The Magician
Episode 17: The Illusion of the Deadly Conglomerate
originally aired on Tuesday, February 25, 1974​

I agree with Doug about this episode being standard 70's fare. It was cool seeing Larry Anderson perform.

I do have to comment that I'm really tired of that "magic-dummy-wand-waver" with the music every time someone comes into Tony's apartment.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I missed watching last week, but I was lucky enough that this week was a re-run from last week, at least on RNN (Rodney's Nostalgic Network). :)

The Magician
Episode 18: The Illusion of the Fatal Arrow
originally aired on Tuesday, March 4, 1974​

Doug Wallen's synopsis here
I wish they wouldn't have relied on the psychic bit, I kept hoping they were going to explain it rationally somehow. Disappointing that David Chase relied on that as the hook for this story.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks