What's new

The Magician 1973 (Bill Bixby) DVD Campaign (1 Viewer)

Randi

Stunt Coordinator
I was watching a video tape last night of this show thanks to TV Land airing it awhile back. I would love to see this on dvd in the future without annoying commercials. A crime fighter who didn't use a gun but used magic- it seems a little nutty but it works. Bixby is such a likable guy that it seems plausable to do. Does anyone even remember this show?

Miss Randi

Bruce F

Agent
Real Name
Bruce
Absolutely, although I haven't seen it since the first run. I remember as a young person at the time being entranced with the idea that someone could have enough money to own his own jet, and be able to park a corvette in it.

Of course, I didn't end up doing magic in my life, as I realized that no magician made that much money ::sigh::

But I always enjoyed watching it. I'd probably pick up a season set if it were released.

Randi

Stunt Coordinator
I think it was only one season but can't remember. I saw an episode with William Shatner as the special guest so at least Trek fans would probably be curious about it. I would definitely pick up a season set of this. Paramount, are you listening?

Miss Randi

Rick P

Supporting Actor
(looks at stack tapes from original SciFi channel airing (before being hacked up). Sighs and moves them to the 'to be done' stack now that someone has reminded me of the show).

Likes the White Corvette he drove... license plate SPIRIT

Lee Davies

Agent
Hello Everyone.

I am searching for fans of The Magician, the 1973 action-adventure series starring Bill Bixby who would buy it on DVD.

Basically if you would buy this DVD, please help us to get it released.

Of course, please vote at Gord's site: tv shows on dvd . com
(I tried to paste URLs to video clips but the site would not allow me.)

There is more than one "Magician" there, so please make sure to vote for the 1973 one. Fans are asking for the Season set because only one season was made. This is what we prefer but vote as you please.

For more links on TM, go to tv tome .com (no spaces) and search "The Magician". There is a complete episode guide there and a list of TM links. The very last one on that list will take you to a page where you can view video clips of this series. Not the best clips, but at least it's something.

Please note than fans are also requesting that a soundtrack (theme & score) CD be released in conjunction with the DVD. I don't know if they will do it, but if you are also interested, it's worth a try. So please add that as comment at tvshows.

Thank you all.
Sincerely,
LEE

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
I'd suggest you remove Martin's email address since he's not in charge of releasing anything. When studio execs whose job has nothing to do with getting a show released are targetted, it ticks them off and prevents them from doing their jobs. Martin's job is to publicize titles they ARE releasing.

Gord

Lee Davies

Agent
Thank you Gord. Done as you requested.

However this is interesting as I phoned Paramount and was told that he was the VP in charge of releasing it. I assumed the more emails he got, the better...

Do you know whom at Paramount needs to be emailed??

LEE

PS: Tony D: yes, awesome Corvette. A lot of really cool stuff in The Magician. Perhaps would you vote right away? We need EVERY SINGLE vote to make this happen. Thank you.

Lee Davies

Agent
Dan, a nice thought but we need ACTUAL VOTES. If this DVD is ever to see the light of day, we need you!!!

Please take a moment NOW and vote at tvshows on dvd.com

Randy, thank you. However I urge you to go back and double check your vote: I am monitoring them closely and they haven't budged in 3 days!! Perhaps you didn't vote for the "1973" one?? (There is more than one "magician"..)

ALL: please click on "1970" in the drop box for "decade" otherwise several magicians appear: in that case Please MAKE SURE TO VOTE FOR THE 1973 MAGICIAN Thank you!!

LEE

Mark Lx

Second Unit
I don't remember seeing the show, but I love Bixby's other shows and TV from this era in general. I would certainly be interested in seeing it.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
All:

Lee's thoughts are nice, but please be sure you are only voting for this at TVShowsOnDVD IF YOU INTEND TO BUY IT. Please don't vote for it just to make Lee or anyone else happy, or with the otherwise nice thought of helping a show get released that you have zero interest in, "but you want to help out the fans".

Gord and I are trying to keep this a representative sample of how many people REALLY DO INTEND TO BUY THE DISC, out of the community of people who are registered at the site. That is the only way studios will get actual, honest feedback as to how popular a show really is.

It's how we show the studios that we're "no ordinary internet petition". Please help us out that way. Thanks.

Lee, if you are not seeing a change in voting numbers, and people assure you they are casting votes, then perhaps you need to check your cache settings on your browser. I cast a vote for a season set, saw the number change immediately, and then un-cast it and saw the number change back. No problem. My cache settings are to check for new updates to the page on every visit to the website. If you have a slower connection and use the stored old versions of the page (the "cache") except for occassional checks for updates, then perhaps that's why you don't see a change for a while. If you use a Windows unit running IE, you can usually check this easily by pressing the [F5] function key, which signals IE to go check the live page for an update.

Jon_Gu

Stunt Coordinator
I don't remember the show...let's see, I would have been about 6 or 7 at the time. I like Bill Bixby's work in other shows, and the premise sounds pretty good, so I would probably buy the show. I have to throw in a caveat here tho... I'd make the purchase for something in the $25-$35 price range (not MSRP but my Wal-Mart/Best Buy/Circuit City cost).

Yes, I have already voted for the season set release. :)

Lee Davies

Agent
To Kyle: I was replying to Randy's post who said he'd voted. My cache settings are fine, I've seen other votes right away.

To David Lambert: yes, please see my thread starter, that's what I've said: I've ONLY encouraged people who would BUY the DVD to vote.
The problem is there are so many people who would buy it but have no idea they can vote anywhere. Putting this in proper perspective, the show was released over 30 years ago! It's not one that people remember (esp. since it only lasted one season!) but yet there are people who saw it as kids who would definitely pick it up if they find it while browsing. Other people would pick it up for their kids because Bill Bixby was such a wholesome actor and it's a great series for kids to watch with their parents. The problem is how do you find those people who would definitely buy it and get them aware of the Tv shows website and get them to vote.

And on yet another note: I really wish Gord would make it easier to vote at the site because a lot of people can't even figure out the tutorial. It took me a while actually. I was searching for a place to click that would read "vote now" and to be taken to a page that says "Thank you for your vote". I've heard from other people who find the tutorial confusing ("too wordy" was another term used) and people who give up because they can't figure it out.

Again, young fans of a show that's currently on TV will stop at nothing to see their favorite series on DVD. Not so for 30-40-50 somethings when we're talking about an under-appreciated show that was broadcast 30 years ago and didn't get many re-runs at all on regular TV (and very few on cable!)

Gord: any thoughts on making it easier to vote and what to do to make potential buyers aware of your site???

Thanks
LEE

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
Lee...

Are you aware of the STUDIO AND MANUFACTURER FEEDBACK forum right here at HTF?

If not, just go to the home page, scroll down to the FEEDBACK/MISC area (near the bottom of the page), and you'll see the desription and guidlines for the forum. It seems to lean mostly toward movies, but TV show requests are also posted.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks