What's new

Highway To Heaven coming to Blu-ray, March 13, 2023 from VEI. (1 Viewer)

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A VEI E-mail told me so.

Wasn't expecting that. Ever. But I guess those remastered versions that are streaming are hanging around, so someone might as well make use of them.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I got the e-mail too. I'm going to pre order it later in the week.
Awesome stuff. Bring on more BD VEI, I'll buy it.

That's cheap! Ten dollars a season. I might pick it up!

How do the remasters look?
Pretty decent if the episodes look like the HD streaming versions. Better than DVD for sure. I'm so happy these are OAR, and not wide screen.

classictvfan40

Second Unit
Real Name
Ron
I got the e-mail too. I'm going to pre order it later in the week.
Awesome stuff. Bring on more BD VEI, I'll buy it.

Pretty decent if the episodes look like the HD streaming versions. Better than DVD for sure. I'm so happy these are OAR, and not wide screen.
I've only been able to find the HD version on widescreen. I'm also looking forward to seeing it in its original format.

Al_D

Stunt Coordinator
This was an instant purchase for me. I can’t believe that it is getting released. This almost feels like the golden age of tv releases again like early 2000s. Many of the same titles that started it all getting blu-ray releases now.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This was an instant purchase for me. I can’t believe that it is getting released. This almost feels like the golden age of tv releases again like early 2000s. Many of the same titles that started it all getting blu-ray releases now.

Y'know, It's going to sound strange to say considering they were once seen as the savior of classic TV on DVD, but unfortunately, Shout is sitting on quite a few titles that have been HDized that they're seemingly not going to do anything with that could maybe get a nice and affordable Blu release by Mill Creek or VEI or some other company... Dragnet, Adam-12, Leave it to Beaver, Ironside, Mr. Ed, Green Acres, Dobie Gillis, Kojak, Quincy, TJ Hooker, Simon and Simon...

But either way, it's nice to see anyone releasing any classic shows on Blu.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Shout's doing that with films, too.

For instance there's a beautiful HD transfer of The Night They Saved Christmas that Shout controls one way or another, but they're only licensing it out for streaming services (as well as their own such service). At least it's been free to watch such as on YouTube and Tubi, but it would be great to see it come out on Blu-Ray in its original aspect ratio (it's sadly cropped to 16:9 on streaming services).

I don't think Green Aces is Blu-Ray ready. Judging by Shout Factory own DVD's and what's being streamed for it, the show very much needs fresh transfers from the best surviving film elements to make a Blu-Ray release worthwhile. But otherwise I'm largely in agreement.

Last edited:

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Shout is sitting on quite a few titles that have been HDized that they're seemingly not going to do anything with that could maybe get a nice and affordable Blu release by Mill Creek or VEI or some other company... Dragnet, Adam-12, Leave it to Beaver, Ironside, Mr. Ed, Green Acres, Dobie Gillis, Kojak, Quincy, TJ Hooker, Simon and Simon...
How do you know the titles referenced above have been scanned in HD? I'm not saying they haven't, but this is the first I've heard anyone say they have. I always assumed they were just given SD masters.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
The Universal shows listed there have to the best of my knowledge all been scanned in HD and have been available in HD on channels like MeTV and streaming services.

I'm skeptical on the others though like Mr. Ed. If Green Acres is from modern HD scans for instance, the film elements must've been in very poor shape or many generations removed from the masters. Many episodes don't even look like they're from a 35 mm source to my untrained eye.

So I tend to think they're from videotape masters made from years earlier. Hopefully it gets remastered one of these days, but I imagine we'll have to be happy with what's on DVD (Which is acceptable and complete, but far off what we know it potentially could look like when compared with something like season 3 of Petticoat Junction).

Last edited:

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
The Universal shows listed there have to the best of my knowledge all been scanned in HD and have been available in HD on channels like MeTV and streaming services.
I only have access to streaming on Amazon Prime. There it appears all those shows are SD.

I don't know, but it is also possibly Shout! was only given access to tape masters, or the HD masters may have been done later.

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
1677741277118.png

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The price is attractive enough that I am going to take a chance on this and pre-order.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Received it today but it is not 4 x 3 aspect ratio as in the description.

Is your TV or player set to stretch stuff out? You're at a place like this, so I'd figure you know about all that and would've cycled through everything before reporting in, but I thought I'd make sure to ask.

And VEI screwing up would be no big surprise.

Either way, thanks for being the guinea pig.

Al_D

Stunt Coordinator
Is your TV or player set to stretch stuff out? You're at a place like this, so I'd figure you know about all that and would've cycled through everything before reporting in, but I thought I'd make sure to ask.

And VEI screwing up would be no big surprise.

Either way, thanks for being the guinea pig.
I checked all of that. There is more info on the sides but lost info on top and bottom. Compared it with original dvd release.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
It was streaming for free through FreeVee on Amazon Prime in HD. They were in 16:9 format. Now they are only in SD 16:9. Probably due to VEI licensing it for the blu-ray release. I would have considered it if in HD 4:3, but not if it is no different than the format streaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks