Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I’d say Cloverfield I love that movie.
Great sound. Great marketing.

I know a lot of people love Tremors but it bored the life out of me.
I love Tremors, not quite so much for Cloverfield. I don't dislike it, but I'm more entertained by other monster films.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't think it completely fits the 'monster' category, but in terms of horror / suspense films I would mention It Follows.

Haven't seen much followup on John's mention of A Quiet Place but it would fit the criteria and was really well done.

- Walter.
A Quiet Place is really good.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I don't think it completely fits the 'monster' category, but in terms of horror / suspense films I would mention It Follows.
That's getting into supernatural, rather than a physical "monster", I suppose. Though the genre does generally turn people into monsters. Then you get into movies like The Exorcist.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
So in your opinion, no good monster movies for 33 years. Interesting.... One of my favorites since Aliens is "Tremors". A fun little film.

I just judge "good" monster movies as something I will want to put in the effort to rewatch the entire movie from start to finish. Tremors is fine, if it is on cable I'll catch a scene or two and be happy. I have owned the Tremors movies on DVD disc for years. They never even made it to my player.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

I love Tremors, not quite so much for Cloverfield. I don't dislike it, but I'm more entertained by other monster films.
Hey, I get a kick out of both. It's been quite a while since I saw Tremors, but I've seen it several times and always enjoyed it.

And, Cloverfield is absolutely one of my favorite monster movies of the last 20 years.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I just judge "good" monster movies as something I will want to put in the effort to rewatch the entire movie from start to finish. Tremors is fine, if it is on cable I'll catch a scene or two and be happy. I have owned the Tremors movies on DVD disc for years. They never even made it to my player.
So does that mean you haven't re-watched an entire monster movie made after 1986 in its entirety? If so, interesting.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
And, Cloverfield is absolutely one of my favorite monster movies of the last 20 years.
I thought Cloverfield was a little overrated by some people and I watched it for the first time opening weekend. I should probably watch it again as I have the 4K/UHD disc.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie

I know lots of people like it and I just can't figure out why as I was totally bored with Cloverfield. For me, it was just another half-baked found footage movie, a format I don't particularly like. Mostly shaky cam video with people screaming and running, running and screaming, jumping and running and screaming. I kept looking at the clock wondering when it would end. That's why I was surprised that I actually enjoyed Trollhunter as it, too, is just another half-baked found footage movie. It's the only one of that format I'll choose to watch.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
No, I have seen a ton of them. And 99% are forgettable/mediocre.

Not good enough for rewatching.
That's what I said re-watched! So Aliens is the only monster film you have re-watched in its entirety made over the last 33 years?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I know lots of people like it and I just can't figure out why as I was totally bored with Cloverfield. For me, it was just another half-baked found footage movie, a format I don't particularly like. Mostly shaky cam video with people screaming and running, running and screaming, jumping and running and screaming. I kept looking at the clock wondering when it would end. That's why I was surprised that I actually enjoyed Trollhunter as it, too, is just another half-baked found footage movie. It's the only one of that format I'll choose to watch.
I can understand that reaction to Cloverfield. I like the movie, but it's not among my favorite monster movies made in the last ten years or so.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
So does that mean you haven't re-watched an entire monster movie made after 1986 in its entirety? If so, interesting.

Sorry, I misread this and responded incorrectly.

Yes, I have never rewatched a monster movie after Aliens except for Predator.
That is a good monster movie, but I have no desire to rewatch it again in my lifetime.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I thought Cloverfield was a little overrated by some people and I watched it for the first time opening weekend. I should probably watch it again as I have the 4K/UHD disc.
I always find statements like that interesting. What others think of a movie has no bearing on what I think of it. If I think it's decent and the rest of the world is raving about it, I still think it's decent, not worse than that because of the opinions of others. If I think it's great and most of the rest of the world think it totally sucks, I still think it's great.

Cloverfield needs a top notch sound system.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sorry, I misread this and responded incorrectly.

Yes, I have never rewatched a monster movie after Aliens except for Predator.
That is a good monster movie, but I have no desire to rewatch it again in my lifetime.
Well, I guess different strokes for different folks.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I always find statements like that interesting. What others think of a movie has no bearing on what I think of it. If I think it's decent and the rest of the world is raving about it, I still think it's decent, not worse than that because of the opinions of others. If I think it's great and most of the rest of the world think it totally sucks, I still think it's great.

Cloverfield needs a top notch sound system.
I never said it had any effect on what I think. I just said I think it's overrated by others compared to my film rating of it. My first viewing of Cloverfield was opening night so what others think of it had no bearing on my original thoughts about it. I just noted that I think it's overrated by other people. Please, don't misconstrue my comments.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I never said it had any effect on what I think. I just said I think it's overrated by others compared to my film rating of it. My first viewing of Cloverfield was opening night so what others think of it had no bearing on my original thoughts about it. I just noted that I think it's overrated by other people.
I should know better, that you are more open minded than that. I do see that reason as an excuse... a lot... for disliking movies.

Give it another shot, since you have it.

A have to confess, Lizzie Caplan might have a small influence on how much I like Cloverfield.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Thoughts on a few of the films mentioned in this thread.

Tremors - Saw this theatrically on the basis of the cast and was pleasantly surprised. Particularly loved the chemistry between Ward and Bacon. (Fred Ward is one of those actors who I have invariably enjoyed in nearly every role.) The throwback nature of the film to the creature features of the '50s was a nice touch, with the desert locales recalling so many of those films.

King Kong - I thought the Peter Jackson version while a bit long was a nice homage to the original classic. The jungle sequences worked really well, and I thought the money was definitely on the screen with this feature. The Kong / reptile fight on the island felt a little too choreographed, but it was still pretty frickin' cool.

Cloverfield - I was ready for the 'shakey-cam' when I saw this for the first time on home video. It was fine as a survival story - which I always like - and I enjoyed it, but honestly haven't re-visited it in years. I probably should watch it again, because it was good enough to warrant a revisit.

I don't watch as much film these days so I don't revisit much. (Too much sports and cable programming along with a lot of time on video games consumes most of my appreciable leisure time.)

- Walter.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I should know better, that you are more open minded than that. I do see that reason as an excuse... a lot... for disliking movies.

Give it another shot, since you have it.
I've seen the movie at least twice, but I haven't watched it since it was released on 4K/UHD. I actually like 10 Cloverfield Lane more, but that's probably because I love a certain actress that stars in that particular film.:)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've seen the movie at least twice, but I haven't watched it since it was released on 4K/UHD. I actually like 10 Cloverfield Lane more, but that's probably because I love a certain actress that stars in that particular film.:)
She is mighty cute.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thoughts on a few of the films mentioned in this thread.

Tremors - Saw this theatrically on the basis of the cast and was pleasantly surprised. Particularly loved the chemistry between Ward and Bacon. (Fred Ward is one of those actors who I have invariably enjoyed in nearly every role.) The throwback nature of the film to the creature features of the '50s was a nice touch, with the desert locales recalling so many of those films.

King Kong - I thought the Peter Jackson version while a bit long was a nice homage to the original classic. The jungle sequences worked really well, and I thought the money was definitely on the screen with this feature. The Kong / reptile fight on the island felt a little too choreographed, but it was still pretty frickin' cool.

Cloverfield - I was ready for the 'shakey-cam' when I saw this for the first time on home video. It was fine as a survival story - which I always like - and I enjoyed it, but honestly haven't re-visited it in years. I probably should watch it again, because it was good enough to warrant a revisit.

I don't watch as much film these days so I don't revisit much. (Too much sports and cable programming along with a lot of time on video games consumes most of my appreciable leisure time.)

- Walter.
Video games??? I man of your age being hooked on video games.;) Just kidding!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks