Thomas T

Producer
Reaction score
Why is this good news, if you can already stream these on NFLX?
Some of us don't have Netflix and have no interest in Netflix. I am a collector. I don't download or stream. For we "old school" types who collect, this is good news. Although I have zero interest in The Irishman (a screener copy I have remains unwatched), I look forward to both Roma and Marriage Story, both of which I've seen theatrically..

Vincent_P

Cinematographer
Reaction score
That would require serious changes to Criterion's niche market which so far doesn't accommodate 4k. Should also mention that Criterion announced they were jumping on the blu-ray bandwagon five months before they released anything. So far its radio silence.
If Vinegar Syndrome can release a 4K UHD of TAMMY AND THE T-REX, I think it's safe to say Criterion can release some of their titles on UHD. Re: "radio silence", not quite. In the video that was posted on this very forum, the guy from Criterion discusses how they've been preparing HDR grades of some of their 4K masters.

Vincent

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Sean
Some of us don't have Netflix and have no interest in Netflix. I am a collector. I don't download or stream. For we "old school" types who collect, this is good news. Although I have zero interest in The Irishman (a screener copy I have remains unwatched), I look forward to both Roma and Marriage Story, both of which I've seen theatrically..
You already mentioned this upthread, almost word-for-word.

Worth

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Streaming will always take second place because physical media is total ownership of a movie.
Well, until the format dies or the disc rots.

Reactions: Josh Steinberg

Cranston37

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Real Name
Streaming will always take second place because physical media is total ownership of a movie.
Only if having total ownership of the movies you watch is important to you.

For most, including a growing number of people here, they are content with the plethora of content they have available to them in this digital age and are allocating any additional money they have to their other interests outside of movie watching.

Last edited:

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Only if having total ownership of the movies you watch is important to you.

For most, including a growing number of people here, they are content with the plethora of content they have available to them in this digital age and are allocating any additional money they have to their other interests outside of movie watching.
In many respects that frame of mind defeats the existence of this entire forum. Why come here at all? People of that mindset can learn all they need to know from reading People magazine or CNET. Enthusiasts or purists, for lack of a better term, generally want something more.

Cranston37

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Real Name
In many respects that frame of mind defeats the existence of this entire forum. Why come here at all? People of that mindset can learn all they need to know from reading People magazine or CNET. Enthusiasts or purists, for lack of a better term, generally want something more.
Thankfully I have found others at HTF to be open to all types of movie lovers.

Last edited:

Carol Mitchell

Auditioning
Reaction score
Real Name
Carol Mitchell
This is good news, but sorta expected. Not to sound ungrateful, but it sure would be nice if Netflix would also allow OKJA, MUDBOUND, BUSTER SCRUGGS and a dozen other highly-rated productions to see the light of Blu-ray, especially since they have all been streaming for quite a while..
Well, I feel the same way about Okja.

So, I was thinking we could start a campaign to make it happen.

What do you say?

battlebeast

Producer
Reaction score
Website
www.oscarmovs.com
Real Name
Warren
For those who can't or won't get Netflix or who just prefer physical media.
Like me, who has Netflix AND collects all best picture nominees on Blu.

I want all the bonus features, the (sometimes) beautiful packaging, and, most importantly, I want to show off my collection!

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarikatrneha