What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The Irishman, to be released by Criterion (1 Viewer)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Why is this good news, if you can already stream these on NFLX?

Some of us don't have Netflix and have no interest in Netflix. I am a collector. I don't download or stream. For we "old school" types who collect, this is good news. Although I have zero interest in The Irishman (a screener copy I have remains unwatched), I look forward to both Roma and Marriage Story, both of which I've seen theatrically..

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
That would require serious changes to Criterion's niche market which so far doesn't accommodate 4k. Should also mention that Criterion announced they were jumping on the blu-ray bandwagon five months before they released anything. So far its radio silence.
If Vinegar Syndrome can release a 4K UHD of TAMMY AND THE T-REX, I think it's safe to say Criterion can release some of their titles on UHD. Re: "radio silence", not quite. In the video that was posted on this very forum, the guy from Criterion discusses how they've been preparing HDR grades of some of their 4K masters.

Vincent

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
Some of us don't have Netflix and have no interest in Netflix. I am a collector. I don't download or stream. For we "old school" types who collect, this is good news. Although I have zero interest in The Irishman (a screener copy I have remains unwatched), I look forward to both Roma and Marriage Story, both of which I've seen theatrically..
You already mentioned this upthread, almost word-for-word.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Excellent news.

(Next - not Netflix, of course - A Rainy Day in New York?)

Cees

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
So glad that this is coming to disc and even better that it's coming from Criterion.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Streaming will always take second place because physical media is total ownership of a movie.

Only if having total ownership of the movies you watch is important to you.

For most, including a growing number of people here, they are content with the plethora of content they have available to them in this digital age and are allocating any additional money they have to their other interests outside of movie watching.

Last edited:

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
Only if having total ownership of the movies you watch is important to you.

For most, including a growing number of people here, they are content with the plethora of content they have available to them in this digital age and are allocating any additional money they have to their other interests outside of movie watching.

In many respects that frame of mind defeats the existence of this entire forum. Why come here at all? People of that mindset can learn all they need to know from reading People magazine or CNET. Enthusiasts or purists, for lack of a better term, generally want something more.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
In many respects that frame of mind defeats the existence of this entire forum. Why come here at all? People of that mindset can learn all they need to know from reading People magazine or CNET. Enthusiasts or purists, for lack of a better term, generally want something more.

Thankfully I have found others at HTF to be open to all types of movie lovers.

Last edited:

Carol Mitchell

Auditioning
Real Name
Carol Mitchell
This is good news, but sorta expected. Not to sound ungrateful, but it sure would be nice if Netflix would also allow OKJA, MUDBOUND, BUSTER SCRUGGS and a dozen other highly-rated productions to see the light of Blu-ray, especially since they have all been streaming for quite a while..
Well, I feel the same way about Okja.

So, I was thinking we could start a campaign to make it happen.

What do you say?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SJeans123
Recent bookmarks