What's new

The Invisible Man season one (1 Viewer)

Sean D.

Agent
This is one of the reasons I love tv shows on dvd, I get to watch shows I would never see. I will probably get this maybe not right away though. Anyone else planning on getting this?

GlennWD

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Glenn DelRossi
This set is going to be a blind buy for me the day of release, can't wait to see it for the first time.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
If you're talking about the Sci-Fi Channel series, I know season 1 has been available in the UK for ages. I do wish they would release it in the USA (Come on, Universal).

Sean D.

Agent
I am talking about the 1958 version. This show really does sound neat, and I am looking forward to it. If anybody has seen it an opinion or two will be greatly appreciated me and several other people on here.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
Thanks for clarifying the matter. I have wondered about the 1958 series too. The Invisible Man has been made into a series at least three times (the one not mentioned in this thread is the short-lived 1970s series with David McCallum).

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
The 1958 "Invisible Man" series is a lot of fun. The Sci-Fi Channel used to air reruns of it late at night, as part of some kind of vintage mix. The IM series emphasized espionage, and tends to have a nifty Cold War flavor. Nonetheless, this Invisible Man (named 'Brady') is also a happy-go-lucky sort, and he's invariably also rescuing his sister and young niece, who are also semi-regulars. I really enjoyed the series, and I'm looking forward to the dvd set. The only qualm is that improved prints might really make the 'strings' much more noticeable!

I don't know why, though, the whole series wasn't just released altogether. There are only 26 episodes, I believe. I didn't even know it was considered a two-season show, until now.

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
This series has an interesting history. At the time the series first showed, the identity of the actor who played Peter Brady was never disclosed. (Although actor Michael Goodliffe's name was suggested) However, some fifteen or more years later it was disclosed that character actor Tim Turner played the role. Turner did not come in at the beginning of the series and it is still a mystery who played it first. Although Robert Beatty's name has come up as the first voice used and another actor, Johnny Scripps, was mentioned who I know nothing about. It is easy to see that different actors played the role as the bandages enhanced the shape of the head of the actor. Turner is seen in one episode playing a criminal posing as the Invisible Man and there is a scene where he removes his bandages, with the audience being totally unaware that he is the actor who actually plays the role! I can't remember the title of the episode, unfortunately. Turner was famous in England for his voice and narrated many trailers in the 50's 60's and 70's. His voice work career followed many small parts in British films during the 50's. It is amusing to know that he revoiced actor Todd Armstrong in "Jason & The Argonauts" and that he also narrated the theatrical trailer. I met him in the early seventies and confronted him about playing the role of Brady and he freely admitted to playing the role. He said an Australian actor first played the role.
I saw the series when it first aired and was determined to find out who it was. One night I saw an episode of "White Hunter" and Brady's voice came on and Tim Turner's name was in the cast. Then, later, in many trailers and the British Rank series called "Look At Life", his name showed up as narrator. This confirmed that the actor I saw was the owner of the voice!
In many of the early episodes, Brady is seen wearing just his coat and no bandages. As the show progressed, he was either fully clothed or totally invisible. Actors had to be proficient at behaving as if they were being punched or were simply interacting with thin air. The series was shot at the old National Studios Elstree in Borehamwood, Hertfordshire, England.

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
I received the DVD a few days ago. So far I have only seen two episodes and I have to say that I was not impressed. Nevertheless, I was pleased that "Secret Experiment", the pilot, seemed to be from a superior source than the region 2 disc.
The english audio which is presented in 5.1 and 2.0 mono, has annoying noise gating in places.
The other episode "Shadow on the Screen" looked awful. There were many shots that were horribly blown out destroying any detail that might have been present. There was absolutely no evidence of any care to ensure shot to shot matching and these are supposed to be re-mastered!?!
I hope this is not representative of the rest of the episodes which I hope to watch this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks