What's new

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Disney finally releases its first catalog title on 4K UHD Blu-ray with Brad Bird’s The Incredibles, likely to tie-in with the theatrical release of its sequel.

The Incredibles (2004)

Released: 05 Nov 2004
Rated: PG
Runtime: 115 min

Director: Brad Bird
Genre: Animation, Action, Adventure

Cast: Craig T. Nelson, Holly Hunter, Samuel L. Jackson, Jason Lee
Writer(s): Brad Bird

Plot: A family of undercover superheroes, while trying to live the quiet suburban life, are forced into action to save the world.

IMDB rating: 8.0
MetaScore: 90

Disc Information

Studio: Disney
Distributed By: N/A
Video Resolution: 2160p HEVC w/HDR

Aspect Ratio: 2.39.1
Audio: Dolby Atmos...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Peter McM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
I have read two other reviews of this 4K upgrade, both of which give really lackluster marks. It's encouraging to hear something more positive.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Personally I think it's a significant, but subtle, upgrade over the Blu.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
True, but to be honest I don't know how much computer animation that's 14 years old would benefit from a true 4K render. It looks REALLY great here IMO.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
True, but to be honest I don't know how much computer animation that's 14 years old would benefit from a true 4K render. It looks REALLY great here IMO.
Yeah, I'm going to watch my 4K disc tomorrow because I plan on seeing the sequel tomorrow evening.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
They couldn't do Coco in 4k and that was from last year!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
No, there was talk about them converting it to 3-D like Ratatouille and releasing a 3-D Blu-ray, but nothing came of it.

Wow. When Pixar stops producing 3D for their theatrical releases, that really does put a large dent in the format. So far, Marvel and the Star Wars titles so far are still 3D theatrically and overseas on 3D Blu-ray.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Regarding those who have slagged the IQ of this 4k disk: I saw I1 on 4k last night. I disagree with those who have argued about the video quality entirely. Asking for it to have boosted colors in all scenes would have devastated the very particular 60s Bond palette they were going for. There ARE scenes where boosted colors and HDR are employed, particularly lava, explosions and sparks. It looked great -given- the very intentional look.

I think @Todd Erwin was right on in his write up!

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I also thought it looked and sounded great.

And a much better film than Incredibles 2 (which was fun).

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I watched about 30m the other night. Yes it’s not a huge difference in resolution. To be honest, HDR difference didn’t blow me away either (probably a testament to how good the original BD was). But what was improved? I noticed zero color banding in the 30m I did see. That made it worth the upgrade alone (assuming no banding appears in the rest of the movie).

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Wow. When Pixar stops producing 3D for their theatrical releases, that really does put a large dent in the format. So far, Marvel and the Star Wars titles so far are still 3D theatrically and overseas on 3D Blu-ray.

Pixar does continue to produce 3D for theatrical - "Incredibles 2" is 3D.

The first film predates the modern-day 3D revival - it was an "after the fact" rejiggering of it that didn't see the light of day...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks