What's new

Pre-Order The Incredibles Collector's Edition (4k UHD) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
So you're saying that Disney titles HAVE shown up on Amazon as preorders briefly?

Wasn't aware of that - I thought they were DOA period!

Sure. It;s not predictable and you;re never sure how long the order period is active, but it happens. Some items are only up for a few hours before going "Unavailable."

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
SWEET!!! Possibly my favorite Pixar film. Pre-ordered the steelbook from BB (sorry Robert).

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
The Amazon link says unavailable and is 1 disk. The Best Buy Steelbook shows 3 disks. Eh?

So, the preorder period lasted almost 20 hrs.

Says one disc, but pic show UHD+BD so it's mislabeled or at least two discs. I can't tell if the 3rd disc in the SB is a bonus disc that might be in both packages or possibly even a DVD. I'm betting they'll just repackage the Bonus Blu-ray Disc from the 1st release and it will be in the Reg and SB release.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Did anybody actually try to pre-order it? Did it get kicked out of your orders?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm betting they'll just repackage the Bonus Blu-ray Disc from the 1st release and it will be in the Reg and SB release.

Yeah. The standard Blu-ray edition of The Incredibles is 2-disc (movie + bonus), so I'm sure this one is the UHD plus those existing discs. And Amazon is obviously just misinformed about the number of discs. Since they're in a feud with Disney and the pre-order option is removed now, they don't really need to be accurate, do they?

That steelbook is really cool-looking. Objectively, I don't need it since I'm not 4K equipped right now, and I know I won't get it, but it does look awesome. The Blu-ray artwork on my copy of The Incredibles is just Mr. Incredible's big had, so the steel is a big step up from that.

Even though I don't do UHD right now, I'm glad to see this represents Disney's first UHD catalog release, and hopefully more follow sooner rather than later.

I used to buy a lot more steelbooks back whenthey were the same price as the basic edition, before stores got the idea that they could charge more for them. Since upcharging has become more common practice, there have only been three that I've wanted badly enough to pay extra, for special reasons specific to those films. Other than those, I generally agree with Robert's stance that they aren't worth extra, and I haven't bought one in over a year. I've kind of gotten over the whole retailer exclusive thing altogether.

Last edited:

Scamp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
But I don't own many, and the artwork on this version of the incredibles isn't exactly screaming at me. All of the great artists at Pixar and this is the best anyone could do?

They're actually using the stylized artwork from the film's end credits. It's actually making it very tempting for me to pick this release up.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
My understanding is that Pixar completed 3D conversions of all of their films, including WALL-E, A BUG'S LIFE and THE INCREDIBLES. It would be nice if this was released in 3D at least in Europe, as Disney has abandoned us in the U.S.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Anybody know if they went back to the original files and re-rendered this for 4K? Finding Nemo was rendered at 1600x900 a year before, So I'd imagine that The Incredibles was rendered somewhere between 1600x680 and 2048x872.

They're actually using the stylized artwork from the film's end credits. It's actually making it very tempting for me to pick this release up.
Agreed. I love that Steebook design. But I just can't justify $35 for a catalog title from a major studio.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Anybody know if they went back to the original files and re-rendered this for 4K? Finding Nemo was rendered at 1600x900 a year before, So I'd imagine that The Incredibles was rendered somewhere between 1600x680 and 2048x872.
At the end of the day, wouldn't that just be an upscale?

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I don't quite understand the popularity of steelbooks.

It's just not worth the extra monies to me as I'm not one to gaze at my film collection in a bookshelf, but instead spend my time actually watching the films in those disc cases.

Hey I have no problem with anybody buying steelbooks, it's just not my thing as those extra monies add up that I can use on other releases.

Personally I feel the steelbooks have a much nicer appearance than the cheap plastic cases. That being said I agree with you about gazing at ones collection as I doubt hardly anyone does. But for me if I see a good price/ sale price on a steelbook edition where it may be a few dollars extra to bellow the cost of the plastic case edition I would in most cases go with the steelbook case. How every I also agree with you that I am not going to pay a premium for steelbook when I could use that money to buy another movie. And I also agree that if one was to purchase a few steelbooks at premium prices that money does add up. At the end of the day I would rather have more movies with quality transfers than over paying for steel books that is why I believe I only have two titles currently with steelbook cases.

If I see a really good price at Target for the steelbook edition compared to the regular plastic case edition I will go for it. Otherwise I will be more than happy with the regular case because it is more important to have the movie and be able to enjoy it than what the case looks like on my media shelving.

Agreed. I love that Steebook design. But I just can't justify $35 for a catalog title from a major studio.

I have a hard time justifying spending $35 and up for any release especially since finances have been not so great for many years. And especially for older titles it would have to be a title that is in my top 10 and a perfect 4K transfer for me to consider spending that much. But for most titles I also can not justify spending that much on a particular release! And there was no way I was going to spend $33.99 on Die Hard on 4K Blu-ray. I had the best buy price on my phone for them to price match but I ended up getting it for less than that. And honestly $28 for Grease was kinda pushing it but because I never purchased this title before and because of the reviews I have read I said what the heck.

20180525_130434a.jpg

Last edited:

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Since I do not have The Incredibles on HD Blu-ray unless the transfer is flawed I will be picking up the 4K Blu-ray! It seems to be an upconversion most likely from a 2K DCP but to bad it couldn't be from a 4K DCP.

Increibles 4k.jpg

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Everything I've read indicate it's done from a 2K Intermediate, but the initial reports I've read have been extremely positive on both the PQ an AQ side. Audio seems to be much better reports than the last several new releases from Marvel and SW.

The Bluray and Bonus disc appear to be either direct copies of the old files if not the same discs repackaged.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The Bluray and Bonus disc appear to be either direct copies of the old files if not the same discs repackaged.

Disney last repackaged the Blu-ray in 2016 when they dropped the DVD and DVD-ROM digital copy from the previous combo pack and added a non-disc based digital copy download code. I have that edition, and it's the same discs authored in 2011, which you can tell because it still opens with a preview for then-upcoming theatrical release of Cars 2. I would be really surprised if they bothered to change anything, so I'm sure they're just the same discs. Which is fine, because there is really nothing more you could want in terms of quality for that format.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Agreed that the original Incredible Bluray was already excellent.

I've got he 4K Steelbook to support the idea as much as anything and Peter Pan Steelbook on order b/c I love the looks for pickup tomorrow. Not surprising that I'm exceedingly weak and ended up with the Wrinkle in Time as well.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I've got he 4K Steelbook to support the idea as much as anything and Peter Pan Steelbook on order b/c I love the looks for pickup tomorrow.

If I were going to get discs I don't need due to fancy-looking steelbooks, it would probably be for The Incredibles and Peter Pan. But I don't have 4K so don't need to upgrade The Incredibles, and don't need this Peter Pan either since I have the Diamond Edition. So I'm not in the market for these. But those steelbooks look awesome. Enjoy them.

I wish The Lion King one for the Signature Collection had been that good last year -- I actually would have been willing to pay extra on that one, as it's one of my very favorite movies and I double dipped for that disc for the new extras -- but I actually opted for the standard keepcase version because the front of the steelbook was ugly. It looks like they've learned their lesson on these, but not quickly enough for that one to be improved.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks