What's new

The HTF Blues Club (1 Viewer)

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
Mike - That sounds great. I'll pickup Mr. Lucky sometime this week, hopefully by the weekend! :)

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
Two other albums that came to mind. For some reason, I was reminded of Elmore James, one of the great slide players, and wanted to recommend:
Elmore James/Brim - Whose Muddy Shoes
Elmore James - The Sky is Crying
There are some compilation albums on a label called Fire and Enjoy. Worth seeking out.
I'm your ice cream man/Stop me when I'm passin' by....

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I picked up Mr. Lucky today. I already had a compilation and knew his most famous songs. This albums was different than what I've heard because it sounds very modern. The collaborations are fun, but I feel that some of the grit and soul of the younger JLH is diluted. However, it's still and overall pleasant listen.

In the store, I also saw Boom Boom on DAD or DVD-A (don't remember which). I've never heard the album. Does anyone have this?

If someone is inclined to shell out a little extra cash, I highly recommend a box set I have by Chess Records. In some folks don't know, Chess was the top blues label during the 50s from Chicago, and featured such legends as Sonny Boy Williams, Little Walter, Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Water, Koko Taloy, Willie Dixon, etc, all recorded some of their classic stuff there. This 4 CD set compiles their most important songs in chronological order. It is the quickest way to get yourself familiar with some of the blues standards that were covered by countless musicians afterwards. For instance, you'd get to hear the real Ice Cream Man.

I would love to have a few selections from Elmore James discussed. I don't have any of his stuff, but I've heard his songs covered time and again.

I'm a little more familiar with Muddy Waters, but still need to get some of his music.

Mike Witko

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Willie Dixon Box set. Really great compilation. I got it about 7 years ago when I was really into Zeppelin. I was reading a lot of books on Led Zeppelin and trying to track down thier influences. One of my favorite Zep songs "You Shook Me" was written by Willie Dixon and it is performed by Muddy Waters on this box set. Muddy Waters voice almost fits this song better then Robert Plant. Other Artists on the Box set that would be great to go into more detail with some albums are Howlin' Wolf "Backdoor Man", Little Walter "Dead Presidents", Bo Diddley, Sonny Boy Wiliamson "Bring it on Home", Otis Rush, and Little Milton. Some great stuff.

Just picked up a couple of new albums today at Borders. Guy Davis which is an acoustic Style blues. Listening to it right now. He has that perfect gruff blues voice when singing. Sounds like he has had a tough life. Just gotta love the first song "Good Liquor's" "I just keep on drinking, yeah man, well I keep on driking. Well, I just keep on drinking, 'til good liquor carry me down"

I also picked up some Muddy Waters. Two albums on one disk The Real Folk Blues, More Real Folk Blues. I will write more on them once done listening.

Frank_S

Supporting Actor
How about Sam McClain-Give it up for love?
That is a great album. I have another one of his CD's which is an XRCD, can't think of the title, I'm at work right now.
Also, Jimmy Rodgers-Bluebird and his son, Jimmy D Lane-Long Gone, this guy sounds a lot like Stevie Ray.
Here's a link for some more fine blues:
www.analogueproductions.com/apo/index.html

Mike Witko

Stunt Coordinator
Samuel,

Ice Cream Man. Isn't that on Van Halen I. No wonder they are soo good, big time blues influence. At least thier old stuff used some classic blues lines.

Good call on the Elmore James. I love the slide guitar. One question to ask to everyone in this group. Does anyone play guitar. I started taking lessons about 1.5 years ago but quit because I just was not commited enough. It is amazing how difficult the blues are to play when you don't have any talent. I thought I would be the next Stevie Ray Vaughn but unfortunalty I never got past many blues progressions.

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
Oh, I've picked up the guitar, but I suck -- I don't mind sucking though. :) I'm glad that you enjoy slide guitar as well! :emoji_thumbsup:
I was reading a lot of books on Led Zeppelin and trying to track down thier influences.
I've heard their version of Travelin' Riverside Blues -- I think it was a B-Side. Liked it! :) The Stones did a REALLY raw version of it that i really love, but the version I'm thinking of is only on boots of the 1969 Hyde Park concert for Brian Jones.

Lin Park

Second Unit
I've been collecting Blues albums for quite sometime and have probably 50 different artists spread across a couple hundred albums and I've found that you really can't go wrong no matter what you pick up. Here are some of my favorites:
B.B. King - check out Blues is King if you can find it; one of the best live performances ever
Duane Allman - if you like slide this guy is God so try An Anthology I & II; most guys like Clapton, Beck, and other great guitarists consider this guy the best of all time
Sonny Boy Williamson - great quality harmonica recordings so try Portrait of a Blues Man; Sonny played alot with the Yardbirds and other British bands because no one in here in the States really liked him and one of my favorite quotes from him concerning the early British musicians is "They wanted to play the blues very badly, and they did play them very badly." :)
Big Mama Thornton - original singer of "Hound Dog" and some rare performances with Muddy Waters' band; also, had big influences on Janis Joplin
Memphis Slim - best piano player you'll find and did some work with Matt Guitar Murphy early in his career; Memphis actually believed that there was NO room for a guitar player in any blues band until he met Matt
Buddy Guy - the best living guitarist around as far as versatility goes; check out Buddy's Baddest for an overview and then start delving into his old stuff like Live at the Checkerboard Lounge; usually get Junior Wells with him which is a bonus
I could go on and on, and I'm sure I've left out a number of other really big names (some intentionally like Waters, Hooker, Dixon, etc.) but I've tried to hit on some of the ones that weren't mentioned yet and some that are just too good to pass up on. I'll be watching this thread with great interest and it really doesn't matter which album we pick each month because it will be enjoyable.
Lin

Mike Witko

Stunt Coordinator
The original Travelin Riverside Blues by Robert Johnson is awsome. "Squeeze my lemmon babe, squeeze it till the juice run right down my leg" Robert Johnson has influence tons of artists even The Blues Brothers. Sweet Home Chicago.

Mark F Hall

Agent
Great thread!

I've been a blues fanatic for over 30 years.T-Bone Walker is one of my all time favorites. He was the one of the first electric bluesmen. He and Buddy Guy are the ones who influenced me most on guitar. I love playing the blues when I get the chance.

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
Hey Mike -- Have you worked out any songs? What guitar do you have? I have a Takamine, but I can't remember the model. I love it. Very fast... but goes out of tune very fast, too. :laugh:

Mike Witko

Stunt Coordinator
Samuel,

I have a takamine acoustic. Which I love. Great guitar great sound. I also agree it goes out of toon really fast. I also have a really cool hollow Epiphone Electric that I bought when I started to learn. It has a great Blues sound. Looks a lot like a BB King model. I learned some blues progressions and I can play some popular songs. I kind of quit the lessons because I was not willing to devote the time it took to progress. I want to start up again but I am waiting for a lull in my life so that I can focus on the guitar again. My dream would be to play in some shady blues bar in a band. My reality is that I have no talent. but whose to say that has stopped anyone. There are plenty of musicians out there without any talent so I do have some hope.

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
My reality is that I have no talent. but whose to say that has stopped anyone.
:laugh: But don't sell yourself short. It requires some talent to manipulate the guitar; there is some skill in learning to appreciate music. It is always interesting to hear a musician's take on another artist, whether amateur or "profesional." :)
Will try to pickup Mr. Lucky today or this weekend. :emoji_thumbsup:

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
John Lee Hooker - Mr. Lucky
Awesome.
I have very little knowledge of Blues music; I guess that's what I'm here for. I've always liked blues-influenced rock such as Led Zeppelin, but have never known where to jump from there. So if my review sounds like a bunch of, "I like that. That one's good. Great. Great." then too bad for you. :D
I was expecting to listen to some music that I wasn't used to, maybe learn something along the way, expand my horizons, recognize talent, yadda yadda. All of that is out the window. From the minute I put this in my player, I fell in love with this disc (I got the DAD). I've listened to it 6 times already, and will listen to it 600 times more. It simply pulls you in.
There is no doubt in my mind that this is the "real" thing. There is no showing off (a la Zeppelin) or any emotional posturing. From the first track I was convinced that Hooker is simply "telling it like it is". He has a great voice, obviously, and sings with an honesty I just don't hear in most music. It seems almost effortless, but powerful.
The songs display a great variety, in part due to different collaborations with his "friends". I was sort of expecting a blues album to contain 10 tracks that more or less felt the same. Not so. On this album, John cheers with joy and shouts his sorrow. Some songs have a rocklike rhythm and punch, while others just curl around your feet and dream.
The sound of his disc blows me away as well. This is my first Hi-Res disc, and if the sound of this DAD is any indication will will dive in head first. It doesn't hurt that I have a new pre/pro (the Anthem) to sweeten the sound, but I really can hear the difference from the CDs I've heard to this (wasn't sure I would). Instead of fighting with the volume control to get a balanced sound, I find myself just turning it up and up and up. That is a good sign, one that Vinyl lovers have probably felt for a long time. One could get used to this.
The mix is damn near perfect with great instument separation, but not isolation. You feel that no part of the band is "more important" than another. The sound is rich and full range, with great detail but a great warmth and sold bass.
I like it.

Lin Park

Second Unit
Not to seem completely ignorant here but what exactly is a DAD disk? I have the Panasonic RP-91 so if I get the DAD could I listen to it?

Also, is there somewhere to pick these up in NYC or are they only available on-line (like the link provided earlier in this thread)?

Thanx,

Lin

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm a Memphis Slim man myself!
How about the Bluebird Recordings 1941 - 1942? Excellent! :emoji_thumbsup:
Tampa Red and Petey Wheatstraw are other faves. I guess I'm old school! ;)

Lin Park

Second Unit
Be still my heart - another Memphis Slim fan.
The saddest thing about this entire thread will be that when it's been running for several months and we all look back at the artist that was chosen each month, 99% are not with us anymore :frowning: which means finding new recordings of them gets harder and harder unless you move to the bootlegs and even there you're going to run out eventually.
But the great thing is that most of them released tons of stuff and it's all great!!! :)
Lin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks