The HTF Blues Club

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Lin, a DAD is a music disc recorded on the DVD format and compatible with all DVD players. The extra space allows for higher resolution.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
Anson Funderburgh and & The Rockets

Jack Handy Awards:

Blues Band of the Year Anson Funderburgh & the Rockets with Sam Myers, 1994

Blues Band of the Year Anson Funderburgh & the Rockets with Sam Myers, 1992

Blues Band of the Year Anson Funderburgh & the Rockets with Sam Myers, 1988

Contemporary Blues Album of the Year: Sins: Blacktop 1988

Blues Song of the Year: Changing Neighborhoods 1988

Blues Song of the Year: Change in My Pocket 2000

I recommend:

Sins (1987)

Live at the Grand Emporium (1995)

Change in My Pocket (1999)

Mike Witko

Stunt Coordinator
Awsome review Jeff. I can't wait to sit down and really listen to this disc. John Lee Hooker is one of the best.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
cool, this is one club that even Groucho would join.
Just call me Blind Boy Bishop

Went to see Eric Clapton 82 while I was still in HS. Muddy Waters opened for him and I still think he is the coolest on earth and in Heaven.
A few years later whil in college I saw he was playing a small club in San Francisco with Willie Dixon. I went there, half expecting to be turned away since I didn't have a ticket.
I was wrong but was shocked to see the place empty. I was a few feet away ....and they both played like they were playing to a full house.
It's great to like someone's music and not be ashamed of them because they are aholes.
Give Slim Harpo a shot, great stuff not normally heard!

Lin Park

Second Unit
Picked this up the other day and am very impressed with the versatility of Mr. John Lee Hooker (God rest his soul). Most of the stuff I have by him prior to this purchase is acoustical Delta Blues which to the untrained ear means every song sounds the same. This album however has a wide range of styles and I've only listened to the first 5 songs!!!! A real treat here is that Johnny Johnson plays piano on several of the tracks. This guy has got to be one of the best blues pianist alive today. Check out Jimmy Rogers' Blue Bird album for even more of Johnny's fine work. Another thing that suprised me on this album is that Mr. Hooker's voice doesn't have that rough edge that I'm used to on some of the songs. Overall, I would have to say that this is my favorite John Lee Hooker album now and that this is a fine addition to my continually growing Blues Collection - thanx for recommending it.

Lin

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
Honestly, I preferred the more spare, raw acoustic Hooker. Hooker is a true artist, though, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the album, alongside earlier work. I'll give it another go around....

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lmersmary