What's new

The Horror Movie Appreciation Thread (1 Viewer)

JasonRoer

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason Roer
My wife and I finished season 10 The Walking Dead yesterday and it went out with a whimper. The final 3 episodes, while good (especially the season finale about Neegan's history), did nothing to move the story forward. We were both very surprised and disappointed at the conclusion of the season, as nothing major happened. It was the weakest season finale yet. No stakes were raised, nothing about the group that they have been teasing us with for a few seasons, no return of Rick. .

Anyway, when I get home tonight we will begin season 11. Hopefully it gets back on track and starts answering some questions! Season 11 is the longest of the series so they have a lot of time to work with. Now I want to point out, even the weakest of the episodes in this show are really good. So I'm not complaining. I just thought they should have ended this season with a bang. I mean, all seasons of all shows should. But with the bar they set in this series, I was hoping for more.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
My wife and I finished season 10 The Walking Dead yesterday and it went out with a whimper. The final 3 episodes, while good (especially the season finale about Neegan's history), did nothing to move the story forward. We were both very surprised and disappointed at the conclusion of the season, as nothing major happened. It was the weakest season finale yet. No stakes were raised, nothing about the group that they have been teasing us with for a few seasons, no return of Rick. .
The last 8 episodes of S10 were shot before the vaccine was available so there were a bunch of obstacles that the production simply couldn't overcome. The biggest must have been that the actors could only interact with a very limited number of other actors and that must have completely hamstrung the writers. That's why those episodes are basically just a bunch of one-offs focusing on a couple of characters rather than having a story arc.

As for the show, I watched it all and while there were things I didn't like, I enjoyed myself overall. I'm a massive fan of the comic book so I'm biased because I'm always going to be partial to the source material or whine about some change they made. Still, there were definitely times that it was really cool to see memorable moments come to life.

JasonRoer

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason Roer
The last 8 episodes of S10 were shot before the vaccine was available so there were a bunch of obstacles that the production simply couldn't overcome. The biggest must have been that the actors could only interact with a very limited number of other actors and that must have completely hamstrung the writers. That's why those episodes are basically just a bunch of one-offs focusing on a couple of characters rather than having a story arc.

As for the show, I watched it all and while there were things I didn't like, I enjoyed myself overall. I'm a massive fan of the comic book so I'm biased because I'm always going to be partial to the source material or whine about some change they made. Still, there were definitely times that it was really cool to see memorable moments come to life.
I hadn't thought of that. Glad you mentioned it. That makes so much sense. I hadn't read the comic before, so I don't know the changes. Now I'm curious. I'll have to read the comics when we're done with the series. I'm sure it'll be like reading Darkly Dreaming Dexter and then watching first season of the show. Except this time in reverse.

We're thinking of going directly into Fear the Walking Dead, then Dead City, and then the new Daryl Dixon series. Have you watched any of the spinoffs?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
We're thinking of going directly into Fear the Walking Dead, then Dead City, and then the new Daryl Dixon series. Have you watched any of the spinoffs?
The original series is easily the best one. Fear was frustrating to me because there'd be episodes that I thought were really great and I'd HATE the next one. Honestly, at this point, I'm just watching to see how it ends and because I've seen all the other episodes of all the other series.

There was also a two season series called World Beyond. Unfortunately, that was not particularly good.

I love Negan (and Jeffrey Dead Morgan) and Maggie so I liked Dead City. My only gripe was that at six episodes, it was too short but that's TV today.

I haven't seen Daryl Dixon yet but c'mon, it's Daryl, it must be cool.

JasonRoer

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason Roer
The original series is easily the best one. Fear was frustrating to me because there'd be episodes that I thought were really great and I'd HATE the next one. Honestly, at this point, I'm just watching to see how it ends and because I've seen all the other episodes of all the other series.

There was also a two season series called World Beyond. Unfortunately, that was not particularly good.

I love Negan (and Jeffrey Dead Morgan) and Maggie so I liked Dead City. My only gripe was that at six episodes, it was too short but that's TV today.

I haven't seen Daryl Dixon yet but c'mon, it's Daryl, it must be cool.
I love Daryl (my favorite character) and Neegan (my second favorite character), so those series were a lock for me. I really like Morgan and from what I understand he's a big part of Fear. I'm likely to watch all of the 3 of those series.

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
Out of Four
1694716150241.png

09/12/2023

Twisted Nerve (1968) 1694716150241.png 1694716150241.png 1694716150241.png

Psychopath adopts a "slow witted" alternate personality so he can insinuate himself into the life of the girl he likes. It also helps him set up an alibi for his stepfather's murder. Well-acted, engrossing thriller is deliberately paced but never uninteresting. The sudden moments of violence are truly powerful. Also worth noting is Bernard Herrmann's memorable whistle theme. (Umbrella Entertainment Blu Ray)

The Witches Mountain (1973) 1694716150241.png 1694716150241.png 1/2

Photographer on assignment in the Pyrenees Mountains meets beautiful writer who agrees to accompany him. Unfortunately, mysterious events put a stop to their blooming romance. Beautiful, slow burn, atmospheric film has a decidedly nightmarish quality given the seeming incoherence. However, the story ultimately makes a certain sense when one considers the pre-credit murder of a cat-killing child in conjunction with the very last shot of the film, which reveals the hero’s fate. (Mondo Macabro Blu Ray)

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
Out of Four
1694717013626.png

09/13/2023

Nightmares in Red, White, and Blue: The Evolution of the American Horror Film (2009) 1694717013626.png 1694717013626.png 1694717013626.png

Most enjoyable documentary narrated by Lance Henriksen covering Edison's Frankenstein (1910) through The Mist (2007). Talking heads who discuss the culture's impact on horror films and vice versa include film directors, historians, and former Fangoria editor Tony Timpone. Hard core fans won't necessarily learn anything new. But at looking at almost 100 years of horror this doc does rather well. (Kino Lorber DVD)

Mister Frost (1990) 1694717013626.png 1694717013626.png

Serial killer Mr. Frost (Jeff Goldblum) is committed for psychiatric care after 24 bodies are found buried on his property. He remains silent for two years, finally speaking to female psychiatrist, shocking her with his claim that he is the devil. At first she doesn't believe him, until a colleague, a patient, and her own brother experience shocking life changes. This should have been so much fun. But there's not enough Goldblum, and the filmmakers force a romantic subplot that's hardly worth the time. (Wendover DVD)

The Pack (1977) 1694717013626.png 1694717013626.png 1694717013626.png

Vacationers of Seal Island have habitually left their dogs behind when returning home, and now the canine pack is pissed. They go on a rampage, terrorizing the latest guests as well as the locals. Solid entry in nature’s revenge subgenre. The cast is great and there is genuine suspense during the film’s cabin showdown. (Shout! Factory Blu Ray)

American Scary (2006) 1694717013626.png 1694717013626.png 1694717013626.png

Fine documentary looking at the horror host phenomenon that started in the 1950s. flourished in the '60s and '70s, and then started to fade around the mid 1980s. The usual suspects are here (Vampira, Zacherle/Roland, Elvira, Count Gore de Vol), and the doc can do only so much with the older hosts who are no longer with us, and whose hosting footage doesn't even exist. But in terms of conveying the importance of these hosts to those who watched/grew up with them, this really scores. (Cinema Libre DVD)

I Married a Monster From Outer Space (1958) 1694717013626.png 1694717013626.png 1/2

An alien race that can no longer procreate comes to earth and takes over the bodies of virile, married men, hoping to mate with their host's spouses. One of those spouses notices changes in her partner while wondering why she can’t get pregnant. She investigates and eventually discovers the truth. Low-key sci-fi thriller piles on the paranoia as aliens take over more and more people. Obviously, a variation on the superior Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956) but still enjoyable. A Sci-Fi thriller in the noir tradition, with scenes set in bars and alleyways, and a couple of sleazy characters to boot. (Shout! Factory Blu Ray)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
and Neegan (my second favorite character)
New to this thread but just wanted to say, no offense @JasonRoer, I HATED the Neegan character so much that I stopped watching TWD cold. Perhaps it was a combination of the character and JDM’s performance but I’ve rarely reacted to a character so negatively.

And I loved the early seasons of TWD.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I tapped out halfway through season 6 and not sure if I'll start it back up again. Season 4 & 5 had some twists that made near zero narrative sense and really put me off it. I liked the first season of FTWD, but now with all these other side series to follow, it feels like a lost cause time commitment for me haha. Not deleting the series yet, but it's daunting to think about catching up.

JasonRoer

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason Roer
New to this thread but just wanted to say, no offense @JasonRoer, I HATED the Neegan character so much that I stopped watching TWD cold. Perhaps it was a combination of the character and JDM’s performance but I’ve rarely reacted to a character so negatively.

And I loved the early seasons of TWD.
I think it's because I'm such an asshole and have somehow redeemed myself that I just connected with the fella.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I think it's because I'm such an asshole and have somehow redeemed myself that I just connected with the fella.
Negan is the man you love to hate. Despite being a monster, I loved the Negan character in the comic book and Jeffrey Dean Morgan rocks so combining the two was shooting fish in a barrel for me.

JasonRoer

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason Roer
I think I should clarify about the above statement. Yes I'm a slightly redeemed asshole. But as of yet, I have not killed a whole heck of a lot good folks. As a forensic psychologist, I work with serial killers. But I'm not one of them. As Homer said to Bart - "Yet." ;)

JasonRoer

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason Roer
My wife and I finally finished TWD. We both loved it. I enjoyed the story, of course, but like Lost, I enjoyed the characters equally to the story. While there may have been a bit of meandering periodically, I felt the narrative moved forward, and it didn't feel like there was much repetition. For such a long running show, I was impressed that they were capable of delineating the various nefarious groups and challenges that sprung up during the series, keeping it fresh. The acting was in general excellent, with a surprising standout for the young girl who played Judith. For such a young actress, she really conveyed rich emotions well.

Favorite 2 characters continued to be Daryl and Neegan. I also have affinity for Maggie, Carol, Rick, and Michone. Many others deserve a mention, but honestly, there really are too many to include in a post.

We are now watching Dead City, and I like the overall darker tone being presented. We have 1 more episode left and then it's on to Fear the Walking Dead, which should easily stretch through the entire upcoming Horror Movie Challenge and beyond. On that note - I'm really looking forward to the challenge and the month of October! My favorite month of the year.

JasonRoer

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason Roer
As an aside, I began watching The Mortuary Collection with Clancy Brown on AMC+ last night. It's an anthology. So far, I'm really enjoying it. Clancy is as always fantastic. I'll write up a review whenever I get a chance to finish it. But man it's nice and atmospheric, and it has other good reviews so I'm hopeful for an engaging grouping of stories.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
I'm currently towards the end of my first re-watch of TWD, though I admittedly still haven't seen Season 11 yet. Excellent show, and I like how it creates this fully realized post apocalyptic world.

I'm also re-watching FTWD, which I consider very underrated & unfairly compared to TWD. I think it's interesting in that it shows the beginning of the virus in L.A. - something you didn't really see in TWD.

Both TWD & FTWD have some of the best zombie effects I've ever seen - extremely well-done. You can also definitely see an improvement as TWD progresses.

There is a "guide" on how to watch both shows in "chronological order". This makes sense, given that both shows exist in the same universe & do have characters that cross-over - notably Morgan & Dwight.

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
Out of Four
1695753699271.png

Bold denotes first time viewing

09/14/2023

Terror at Tenkiller (1986) 1/2 1695753699271.png

Woman takes her bestie, who is having boyfriend issues, on weekend getaway. Unfortunately there's a bland psycho killer on the loose. Very lame late entry in the slasher sweepstakes. The killer's motivation is nonsensical and the film lethargically paced. Might work well as a sleep aid. (Vinegar Syndrome Blu Ray)

Final Exam (1981) 1695753699271.png 1/2

Here's another slasher that features a motiveless killer. He just shows up and starts killing, and he waits too long at that. The previews announced, "He's come back!" but we have no idea who the hell "he" is. Even worse, the film contains mostly time-eating dialogue scenes before we get to the slaughter. There is some decent attempt at character development but this effort is still a mostly bland affair. (Dark Force Blu Ray)

Going to Pieces: The Rise and Fall of the Slasher Film (2006)192) 09/14/2023 D Going to Pieces: The Rise and Fall of the Slasher Film (2006) 1695753699271.png 1695753699271.png 1/2

Solid if not exactly enlightening look at the golden era of the slasher film and its return with 1996's Scream. The talking heads include directors, producers, special effects people, and actors. What's missing is a meaningful discussion of why these particular kinds of films resonated with audiences as much as they did. (The 2012 documentary Slice and Dice: The Slasher Film Forever had the same problem.) Some good clips and a creative interview style (a fluid camera during interviews) can do only so much in what is essentially a "preaching to the choir" doc. (Image DVD)

09/15/2023

Scream (1981) 1695753699271.png 1/2

A group on rafting trip set up camp in a ghost town. Soon, a mystery killer starts...well, you know. There is some fine atmosphere here and the performances are petty good. But it doesn't appear that the story was that well thought out and the viewer's interest wanes. Ending is unsatisfactory also. (Code Red Blu Ray)

The Oracle (1985) 1695753699271.png

Young couple discover strange device in their new apartment that can contact the dead. The missus soon becomes obsessed/possessed with/by spirit of murdered businessman who wants revenge on his killers. Poor acting and direction are sometimes overcome by enjoyably gloppy special effects, even if the kitchen sink approach to the material doesn't always make narrative sense. Bad but amusingly so. (Media Blasters Blu Ray)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks