What's new

The Horror Movie Appreciation Thread (1 Viewer)

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
As someone who has participated in the October Scary Movie Challenge a few times, I thought it might be fun to do a catch-all discussion that can run all year. Some years have worked where I had time to participate, others, not so much. And with the pandemic I've been watching more movies thanks to Hoopla (through the Chicago Public Library), Tubi, Pluto, etc. Hopefully this will get you to explore or share movies that might be off-the-radar for others. Hope you enjoy and participate!

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
This one was surprisingly better than expected. Yes, it's low budget and the creature scenes that don't show much or last too long are most effective. But it's really more of a horror movie/character study. Six high school graduates go to Black Lake for one last party before heading off to college/becoming adults. But Johnny knows the legend of the lake. They get stuck on a boat with something in the water. It's actually along the lines of Hitchcock's Lifeboat, with the story focusing on how these people interact/react to the danger of the creature. I was surprised to see how horribly reviewed it was on Metacritic and IMDb. I enjoyed it! (Available for streaming on Amazon Prime.)

C98DB843-9C93-4B7C-86DF-C74D81BE5504.jpeg

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
YIKES!!! I generally like anthology horror. But this!!!! I couldn't make it through the whole movie. Humor mixed with horror is a really fine line IMHO. This one crossed it, destroyed it and completely ignored it. A drive in (the last one) is closing and the owner wants to go out with a bang, showing four movies that are rare and rarely seen. I wish they'd stayed that way. I kind of had an idea on how this was going to go with the opening wraparound story involving a guy whose "member" gets bitten off by a female corpse. And that's just the beginning.
0095C482-68BC-4E70-A3DC-CD2B7551A8B9.jpeg

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
YIKES!!! I generally like anthology horror. But this!!!! I couldn't make it through the whole movie. Humor mixed with horror is a really fine line IMHO. This one crossed it, destroyed it and completely ignored it. A drive in (the last one) is closing and the owner wants to go out with a bang, showing four movies that are rare and rarely seen. I wish they'd stayed that way. I kind of had an idea on how this was going to go with the opening wraparound story involving a guy whose "member" gets bitten off by a female corpse. And that's just the beginning. View attachment 92320
I haven't seen this movie but Adam Green, Joe Lynch, and I are all basically the same age and from hearing them talk on commentaries, it seems like we grew up similarly and have a lot of similar tastes in movies. Unfortunately, none of that has transferred over into me liking too many of their movies. The one exception is Green's Frozen which I thought was really good.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
YIKES!!! I generally like anthology horror. But this!!!! I couldn't make it through the whole movie. Humor mixed with horror is a really fine line IMHO. This one crossed it, destroyed it and completely ignored it. A drive in (the last one) is closing and the owner wants to go out with a bang, showing four movies that are rare and rarely seen. I wish they'd stayed that way. I kind of had an idea on how this was going to go with the opening wraparound story involving a guy whose "member" gets bitten off by a female corpse. And that's just the beginning. View attachment 92320
I can’t remember if I actually saw this, but if it’s what I’m thinking of it has a fun score by Bear McCreary that I have signed for the Zom-B Movie segment.

Reggie W

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Well, I'll throw out here the directing duo of Benson and Moorhead who may be familiar to some genre fans as they keep turning out some very good horror/sci-fi pictures. The latest of which is Synchronic which I thought was a very cool genre entry that mixes horror and science fiction. The story revolves around a pair of friends and coworkers that have discovered some bizarre things taking place while working as EMTs in New Orleans. These bizarre and gruesome incidents seem to involve the use of a new designer drug called Synchronic. The story has a very sort of Lovecraftian influence which really seems to be present in all of the work of Benson and Moorhead. Anyway, if you have not seen this or their other films I would highly recommend checking out their work as they seem likely to only become more well known as they go. I really enjoyed their picture The Endless, involving brothers returning to visit a strange cult they were once involved with as well as the horror love story Spring.

Their first picture Resolution showed their promise as genre filmmakers and serves as basically a prequel to The Endless.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Another stinker. The couple is pretty stupid (at least the woman feels uncomfortable a few times) and there are plot holes galore. No gore or scare. Long scenes that waste times, scene jumps that make no sense a completely ridiculous ending. Avoid this one!
888374A0-7596-47CA-A877-AC1B315B80A0.jpeg

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
A dysfunctional family gets together for Christmas but something traps them inside the house. Then mysterious messages start appearing on the TV. It’s creepy, claustrophobic and pretty fascinating until the last 20 minutes. On Netflix. F23D00EC-7C8E-4689-95CF-8EFA0F07061A.jpeg

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I’ve heard so much about this! The scariest and most disturbing found footage film EVER!

It wasn’t. Most of the gore and disturbing acts occur offscreen.

The movie is part documentary, part found footage. Far too many of the “doc” actors are pretty bad and unbelievable. This film’s reputation is much better than the actual movie.

Attachments

• 5C364060-63B3-4027-B3FA-AEC145E72814.jpeg
    5C364060-63B3-4027-B3FA-AEC145E72814.jpeg
    110.3 KB · Views: 6

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I've pretty much given up on any type of "found footage" horror. Been burned too many times. Often too much shaky-cam and too little payoff.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
1617075504141.png

Somewhat interesting take on the old body swap trope. Kind of a rough start when one of the characters being stalked by the killer finds a perfect hiding place. Then, instead of just staying there until it's safe, only spends about 30 seconds in there before coming out again. But it picks up after the opening with the leads really embracing each other's characters and their mannerisms while swapped. Some decent gore in quick flashes, but it's largely a raunchy high school comedy.

From the creators of the Happy Death Day franchise (writer, director, producer). If you enjoyed those, you'll probably enjoy this.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
1617160175682.png

Time Trap (2018)

A group of students and (for some reason) their young siblings and friends, enter a cave system to search for their professor who has gone missing in his search for some other people who went missing. Once inside, they discover some oddities that lead them to believe they've entered some sort of portal where time passes differently than in the outside world.

Not exactly a horror film, but a neat little sci-fi thriller with some horror elements. Enjoyable as long as you just go along for the ride and don't think too much about the actual science or logic of things. Notable perhaps for the casting of Cassidy Gifford, daughter of Kathy Lee and Frank Gifford.

Currently on Netflix, but only through April 11 according to the app.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Here's one I've been looking for for decades. I *thought* I knew the title (remember it from the end credits from when I saw it in the early-mid 60s) but it doesn't show up under that name.

Briefly:

Young man is driving his car through the mountains/hills during a severe thunderstorm. Car dies, he starts walking, and shortly comes to a house. When he knocks an attractive girl answers and he persuades her to allow him to come in. Of course they have no phone and the parents/guardians (don't recall just which) are less than thrilled. They bond, he falls in love, and when the car has been repaired he tries to talk her into leaving with him as she's very unhappy in the house. She constantly tells him "No" she can't leave. She can *never* leave the house. He wears her down and she agrees to go with him. As they leave the house headed to the car he looks back to discover she's turned into a pile of dust, apparently very, very, old and has been bound to the house even in death with it keeping her alive. Shocked, he gets into his car and drives away. Roll credits.

Anyone know this film?

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
From that loooong ago memory I believe I saw "House on Haunted Hill" as the title. And that *can't* be correct (that's the William Castle film with Vincent Price). Searches for movies with any part of that in the name comes up empty ("House on the Hill" - "Haunted Hill") as far as that plot is concerned.

I also, distinctly, recall a scene when she's showing him some of the house's horrors (don't recall if she discovered him prowling around or she showed him in an effort to scare him away). They go into a room in the basement where there's a pit filled with a liquid. As he goes to examine it she stops him and tells him to stay away as it's filled with acid. He doesn't believe her so she goes to the wall and pulls a lever which causes a skeleton to come up out of the pit having had the flesh eaten off by the acid. Yes, I know the Castle film has a very similar scene. I'd not seen "House on Haunted Hill" when I saw this film so when that scene came up in the Castle film I immediately thought "Oh... they stole that one from that other movie." It's done differently in both films yet is, essentially, the same. She showed him other "horrors" in the basement/dungeon but I only remember that acid bit as it was quite shocking to a ~9yo.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Caught this on Netflix. Pretty decent setup: a group goes to check out the spirits in a house where a woman murdered a group of people years ago. One in the group has a connection to the original murders and the story generally is pretty good, but I figured out how it would end about 2/3 of the way through. But it's a pretty decent movie if you have 90 minutes to spare. Demonic (2015)

6D5C08BF-7DA0-4C6D-AB14-C8BDA0B3E2C7.jpeg

SixOfTheRichest

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Daz
This is one of my favorites. Slasher tone, but so much more and a perfect example of how style, terror and even substance can meld together perfectly without buckets of gore. A one of a kind.

Screen-Shot-2021-04-07-at-01-20-50.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moviefan88