What's new

International The Hitcher (1986)- coming soon to Blu-Ray (1 Viewer)

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
https://www.schnittberichte.com/news.php?ID=13850

https://www.nameless-media.de/Hitcher-Der-Highway-Killer-Weltweite-erste-HD-Auswertung

the-hitcher-original-nameless-uncut-mediabook.jpg

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Loved this movie. Haven't seen it in years. Love the soundtrack as well (Mark Isham)
I didn't realize this was scored by Isham. It's been years since I watched the film (and thoroughly enjoyed it). As much as a score fan as I am, I don't recall the music, but suspect it's in the wheelhouse of his Kiss the Girls work.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I'd buy this on BD. It's a terrific, suspenseful film. Creeps me out every time I see it. I haven't watched my DVD copy in quite awhile... may have to rectify that soon.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
So it looks like this has received a new 2K master according to one of those links which would be a requirement because the existing digital version of this available on DVD for some time is, if I remember correctly, pretty horrible looking. I wonder if a new scan has been done if that new scan is going to be used for a domestic release from somebody like Shout/Scream Factory.

This is I think a heavily requested title from horror fans so this would be a pretty big release.

Last edited:

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
So it looks like this has received a new 2K master according to one of those links which would be a requirement because the existing digital version of this available on DVD for some time is, if I remember correctly, pretty horrible looking. I wonder if a new scan has been done if that new scan is going to be used for a domestic release from somebody like Shout/Scream Factory.

This is I think a heavily requested title from horror fans so this would be a pretty big release.

HBO owns the domestic rights (by virtue of it being a co-production with another company which obtained the foreign rights), and with a few exceptions, really doesn't care much about reissuing their film library on Blu. The Changeling managed to get a U.S. Blu because HBO recently lost the rights, but since The Hitcher apparently belongs to HBO in perpetuity, well, it'll get harder. This is a perfect title for Shout, but only if they push HBO. I'm pretty sure they're salivating over possibly interviewing Rutger Hauer on this film, and I can't blame them.

Last edited:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Yeah HBO retained the rights to all the films they produced during the time that they were investors in TriStar. They left shortly after the release of The Hitcher, bringing Three Amigos along with them to Orion.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
OK, two things...

First, did anybody pick-up the German blu and have any thoughts on it?

Second, I read the reason this got a blu-ray is because HBO actually lost the rights to it, anybody know if that is true?

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I may be hallucinating but I thought somebody in the US was also releasing this...I thought I read that but maybe I dreamed that or something. The German blu will cost you about 70 bucks it seems so it's not cheap.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Seems ideal for Scream/Shout! Factory, but let me suggest something a little crazier: what about Warner Archive?

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
EDIT: Okay I see it selling for crazy money on Amazon De......pity, I want it,but that is silly money when I don’t know what the transfer is like.

One of my favourite eighties flicks.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
EDIT: Okay I see it selling for crazy money on Amazon De......pity, I want it,but that is silly money when I don’t know what the transfer is like.

One of my favourite eighties flicks.

Well, these German blu-rays are a special edition that comes in a book with photos and German text but it will shortly get another release that just comes in the standard blu-ray case and will be priced like a normal blu-ray.

I thought Arrow was somehow involved with trying to get this out on blu as well and so that release may be coming later.

In terms of the quality of the transfer it seems to be getting mixed reviews from what I have found so, perhaps best not to have invested in this particular special edition.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks