What's new

The Haunting Of Hill House-Netflix (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
766471DA-99EA-4865-B5BE-4F88BFDCA45A.jpeg

AUDIENCE SCORE

92%

Critic Consensus: The Haunting of Hill House is an effective ghost story whose steadily mounting anticipation is just as satisfying as its chilling

I thought this was by far the scariest series I have ever seen. And it had more scares per episode than most horror films I have ever seen.

A touching powerful family drama set against the backdrop of a supposedly haunted house.

The acting of the adults and children are excellent across the board. Standouts are Henry Thomas, Carla Gugino as the parents.

It is absolutely fantastic and terrifying.

Last edited:

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
It would have been better if they would stop flashing backwards and forwards. I got bored and stopped during episode 4.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
It would have been better if they would stop flashing backwards and forwards. I got bored and stopped during episode 4.
I loved that technique. It created fascinating links and foreshadowed many events between the past and present. I thought the show really kicked in after the fourth episode after an already terrific first three episodes.

Different strokes......

old mole

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
George
View attachment 51185
AUDIENCE SCORE

92%

Critic Consensus: The Haunting of Hill House is an effective ghost story whose steadily mounting anticipation is just as satisfying as its chilling

I thought this was by far the scariest series I have ever seen. And it had more scares per episode than most horror films I have ever seen.

A touching powerful family drama set against the backdrop of a supposedly haunted house.

The acting of the adults and children are excellent across the board. Standouts are Henry Thomas, Carla Gugino as the parents.

It is absolutely fantastic and terrifying.

old mole

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
George
I agree. Liked it a lot. Mike Flanagan is a master of the horror genre. Look forward to his upcoming Doctor Sleep film, the sequel to The Shining. Stars Ewan McGregor and Rebecca Ferguson.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
My wife and I really liked this series. Took less than a week to get through the episodes. VERY creepy throughout and delightfully layered in the style of modern television. I thought it was easy enough to distinguish the flashbacks and such. I never saw either film version nor read the book, but am very interested to now.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I loved the premise behind the series adaptation and I thought it started promisingly, but then devolved into the most tedious whining. Lord, I grew to hate that family. And aside from Thomas and Hutton, I found all the actors really bland and uninvolving. Ultimately a waste of my time. But I did enjoy some of the subtle visual nods to the 1963 film scattered throughout.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
My wife and I marathanon'd it the first weekend it came out and really enjoyed it. My wife usually in anti scary movies but I turned it on thinking she'd ignore it but by the end of episode 1 she was hooked. She couldn't wait for each episode. She wondered if there was going to be a 'season2". LOL I told her it was based on a book and as far as I knew, that was pretty much it.

Sure some parts, including the ending was a bit of a letdown, but the overall creepiness overruled those blah parts.

I'd give it 4 out of 5 stars.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Regarding a sequel, Director Mike Flanagan has some ideas but is waiting on Netflix and Paramount to ask. But it won’t be about the Crain family. That story is done.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I watched the first episode last night. I'll probably give it at least one more but not sure I'll stick with it. It's well done but just not really my thing. I thought it was an interesting decision to cast Henry Thomas as the young Timothy Hutton. Feel like it would have made more sense to just "youngify" and "oldify" Hutton in the different timelines a'la This is Us. Thomas and Hutton don't look enough alike and it was just confusing at first.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I watched the first episode last night. I'll probably give it at least one more but not sure I'll stick with it. It's well done but just not really my thing. I thought it was an interesting decision to cast Henry Thomas as the young Timothy Hutton. Feel like it would have made more sense to just "youngify" and "oldify" Hutton in the different timelines a'la This is Us. Thomas and Hutton don't look enough alike and it was just confusing at first.

It took me two episodes to finally connect the young/old versions of each character. This Is Us has the advantage of aging the parents and using younger versions of the siblings who are a lot more distinct than the Crain kids.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I haven’t followed much about this and had no idea really what to expect. But I was in the mood for something “spooky”.

I started watching this early yesterday afternoon and was completely hooked at the end of the first episode. I couldn’t stop, and I finished up around 2:30 this morning. I was absolutely not planing on binging the whole thing as I was looking for something to spread out over the next few weeks, but like a good novel this was a “page turner”. It was excellent.

Take a powerful and sad family drama and mix it with a strong dose of creepiness, chills and disturbing supernatural imagery and concepts and you’ve got The Haunting of Hill House.

I don’t think I’d want there to be a season 2 because this story is concluded, though I could understand wanting more.

Last edited:

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I suppose that if they did do a season 2 the focus could be on different people that are at Hill House for some reason, but the Crain family story should stand they way they ended it here.

The tricky thing with that is that
three Crains
are still at the house.

With the family still owning the property and knowing that Mom, Dad and Nell are still there I would expect that they’d want to leave it stand untouched indefinitely. I suppose someone outside of the Crain family could have a reason to want to sneak in, maybe paranormal investigators, and a story could be built around their experiences. That could give an opportunity for the three Crains to have some “presence” in the story without the living siblings being involved. Or, I suppose something could be going on with the other more malevolent ghosts, like Poppy, that threatens the three Crains in some way and the living Crain siblings feel drawn back to the House to address this. I’d leave their story alone, but I guess if Netflix is set on doing another season they could do “something”.

Probably the best option would be to treat it more like an Anthology. If they they stick with Hill House, then somehow make different people the focus of the story. Or they could do a different haunted house each season. So it wouldn’t be “The Haunting of Hill House 2” it would be “The Haunting of xxx House” or something like that.

Anyway, this family drama stands on its own and does need a follow-up. But we could always use more well told spooky stories.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The series is an anthology like American Horror Story on FX and will feature entirely new characters the next season (though some of the same actors may be playing other characters).

Last edited:

John Lee_275604

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Lee
I find Michiel Huisman oddly distracting in a way that isn't his fault. He has this ineffable quality where his looks and demeanor reminds me of several disparate people at once. Sometimes it's Eric Bana. Sometimes it's Christian Bale. There's even moments where he looks like he could be Rhys Darby's younger brother.

He's not doing anything wrong, I just find myself obsessing more on who he reminds me of than his actual performance.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
About halfway though this on blu-ray. I find myself wishing it had half as much family drama and twice as many ghosts.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Some incredible LFE with the thunder in the episode "Two Storms". It was rattling the door of the closet in my HT room (almost like a ghost was wanting to come out). :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks