What's new

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Because there are lots of movies I do not like and that I do not want to ever watch again - why would I post in a thread that is dedicated to the home video version of that movie when I have no interest in watching, let alone purchasing it?

Apart from that I never said he should not post here - as you correctly point out it is not against the rules.
Does everyone have to act according to your personal posting behavior? Or even mine, as I'm usually the same as you, when it comes to not posting in threads about movie(s) I dislike and have little interest in seeing again. However, I recognize that posting/communication behavior is quite different among us humans. We're the same in so many ways, but quite different in so many other ways.:)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Does everyone have to act according to your personal posting behavior? Or even mine, as I'm usually the same as you, when it comes to not posting in threads about movie(s) I dislike and have little interest in seeing again. However, I recognize that posting/communication behavior is quite different among us humans. We're the same in so many ways, but quite different in so many other ways.:)
Yes we are all so similar yet also different - it would be a very boring world if we weren't!

As for your posting behavior I would say that with your widespread interest in movies and huge collection you would probably run out of time if you also posted in threads about movies that do NOT interest you :D

Last edited:

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I would be surprised if there were no 6-track roadshow prints left that they could work with. No idea why they did not go that route when they first noticed the missing parts. I know of a German 70mm print but unfortunately it is dubbed. There is also a chance that prints could be accessed in Norway, the Netherlands, the UK or Sweden.
Don’t forget we are talking about MGM here. They have a history of just doing as little as they can.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Don’t forget we are talking about MGM here. They have a history of just doing as little as they can.
Things seem to have changed lately but back then they were probably perfectly fine with that kind of bandaid solution.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Things seem to have changed lately but back then they were probably perfectly fine with that kind of bandaid solution.
What's the change? They are waiting on the Justice Dept to approve their sale to Amazon, I see them doing as little as possible and then we will see what kind of work Amazon will do on those films.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
What's the change? They are waiting on the Justice Dept to approve their sale to Amazon, I see them doing as little as possible and then we will see what kind of work Amazon will do on those films.

There is now an 8k version of West Side Story and they did some work on The Alamo and The Hallelujah Trail. Compared to the complete failure of the first version of The Hallelujah Trail and the also quite horrible release of TGSET I consider this an improvement.

Regarding the sale this is probably not a good thing where work in progress is concerned and I would not be surprised if this was also the reason those Capelight releases are delayed.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
There is now an 8k version of West Side Story and they did some work on The Alamo and The Hallelujah Trail. Compared to the complete failure of the first version of The Hallelujah Trail and the also quite horrible release of TGSET I consider this an improvement.

Regarding the sale this is probably not a good thing where work in progress is concerned and I would not be surprised if this was also the reason those Capelight releases are delayed.
I‘m not sure exactly how much work MGM did themselves. Dose the 8K WSS have the correct opening?

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I‘m not sure exactly how much work MGM did themselves. Dose the 8K WSS have the correct opening?

Not sure either but at least this time MGM did not prevent the work from taking place! To my knowledge no home video or even cinema version of this has been made available so far. I take it that NHK funded most if not all of it and the rights to the 8K master will probably stay with them for a while.

Last edited:

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
"MGM’s motion picture group, led by chairman Michael De Luca and president Pamela Abdy, has had a great run recently with Paul Thomas Anderson’s widely nominated Licorice Pizza, House of Gucci and the latest Bond installment No Time to Die. Its library includes titles like 12 Angry Men, Basic Instinct, Creed, James Bond, Legally Blonde, Moonstruck, Poltergeist, Raging Bull, Robocop, Rocky, Silence of the Lambs, Stargate, Thelma & Louise, Tomb Raider, The Magnificent Seven, The Pink Panther, The Thomas Crown Affair, The Alamo, The Greatest Story Ever Told and The Hallelujah Trail to name a few."

OK. I made a few changes to the above statement.

Last edited:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
"MGM’s motion picture group, led by chairman Michael De Luca and president Pamela Abdy, has had a great run recently with Paul Thomas Anderson’s widely nominated Licorice Pizza, House of Gucci and the latest Bond installment No Time to Die. Its library includes titles like 12 Angry Men, Basic Instinct, Creed, James Bond, Legally Blonde, Moonstruck, Poltergeist, Raging Bull, Robocop, Rocky, Silence of the Lambs, Stargate, Thelma & Louise, Tomb Raider, The Magnificent Seven, The Pink Panther, The Thomas Crown Affair, The Alamo, The Greatest Story Ever Told and The Hallelujah Trail to name a few."

OK. I made a few changes to the above statement.

That was quite sneaky of you to add legally Blonde and Thelma and Louise in there...

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Kidding aside MGM had a rather impressive lineup of large format movies that would now stop being limited by funding and Shawn Belston liked to work with the also extensive large format library at Fox so maybe he will bring some quality improvements at MGM.

These are the ones in my collection and there are probably more:

VistaVision:
The Pride and the Passion

Technirama / Super Technirama 70:
The Vikings
Sayonara
The Big Country
Legend of the Lost
The Pink Panther
Solomon and Sheba

Todd AO:
The Alamo

Super Panavision 70:
Exodus

Ultra Panavision 70:
The Greatest Story Ever Told
It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
The Hallelujah Trail
Khartoum

Edit:
Of course there is also West Side Story but with a recent 8k scan I would hope that the work for it is already done.
It would be nice if under new management they could revisit some of really bad looking releases first like The Greatest Story Ever Told and The Pride and the Passion and of course it would be very nice to finally have The Hallelujah Trail in all its UP70 glory.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Lets hope that Kino is aware of Olive's Blu-ray issues and will have them corrected on this December 13th release.

Coming December 13th!

The Hallelujah Trail (1965)

• HD Master by MGM – From a 2K Scan of the 35mm Reduction Inter-positive
• NEW Audio Commentary by Filmmaker/Historian Michael Schlesinger and Author/Screenwriter C. Courtney Joyner
• Includes the Roadshow Overture, Intermission, Entr'acte and Exit Music
• Theatrical Trailer (Newly Mastered in 2K)
• Optional English Subtitles
Color 156 Minutes 2.35:1 Not Rated

From legendary director John Sturges (Bad Day at Black Rock, Last Train from Gun Hill, The Great Escape) comes this rip-roaring western comedy about the year Denver was nearly devastated by a drought—of whiskey—and had to have forty wagonloads imported through very harsh—and very thirsty—territory! Screen greats Burt Lancaster (Gunfight at the O.K. Corral), Martin Landau (North by Northwest) and Lee Remick (Days of Wine and Roses) star in this spry, sprawling and spirited adventure that “wins both laughs and thrills” (The Hollywood Reporter)! Also starring Jim Hutton (Major Dundee), Pamela Tiffin (One, Two, Three), Donald Pleasence (Soldier Blue) and Brian Keith (The Rare Breed), with epic Ultra Panavision 70 photography by Robert Surtees (Ben-Hur) and a rousing score by Elmer Bernstein (The Magnificent Seven), this irreverent and literally dry look at frontier life is “possibly the funniest western ever made” (Los Angeles Times)!

1664723925363.png

Dennis Gallagher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dennis T. Gallagher
As most here probably know: 2.35:1 is the wrong aspect ratio for an Ultra Panavision film. There's also no indication what the audio format's going to be (hopefully something which mimics the original multi-channel "Cinerama" release.

PaulRossen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Rossen
As most here probably know: 2.35:1 is the wrong aspect ratio for an Ultra Panavision film. There's also no indication what the audio format's going to be (hopefully something which mimics the original multi-channel "Cinerama" release.
Kino has already stated this new release is from a 35mm reduction…and not from the original 70mm Elements. That’s correct they have not stated the sound of the upcoming release. Hope it’s not mono.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks