What's new

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Capelight Pictures in Germany are supposed to be releasing the generally well regarded HT streaming transfer this year, UHD & Blu-ray (Mediabook). They did say the first quarter, but I've heard nothing since, if it comes up & ticks all the right boxes, I'll buy it, & hopefully it'll pop up from some company in America.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Capelight Pictures in Germany are supposed to be releasing the generally well regarded HT streaming transfer this year, UHD & Blu-ray (Mediabook). They did say the first quarter, but I've heard nothing since, if it comes up & ticks all the right boxes, I'll buy it, & hopefully it'll pop up from some company in America.

They had BD and UHD releases of both The Lover and The Running Man that were a pleasant surprise.

So I am very much looking forward to that UHD release!

Last edited:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I hope it is announced soon.

Contacted them today as I was curious myself.

The release will be pushed back to what now looks like a late summer release. The master they will be using isn't ready yet which also means that it will NOT be the same one that is currently used by the streaming platforms.

No further info at this point about the new master but any improvements over the already very solid streaming version will be fantastic!

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Contacted them today as I was curious myself.

The release will be pushed back to what now looks like a late summer release. The master they will be using isn't ready yet which also means that it will NOT be the same one that is currently used by the streaming platforms.

No further info at this point about the new master but any improvements over the already very solid streaming version will be fantastic!

Full roadshow Ultra Panavision 2.76 AR with overture, Intermission and Exit music?

1647307866485.png

1647307903314.png

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Full roadshow Ultra Panavision 2.76 AR with overture, Intermission and Exit music?

I am sure none of us would mind but I would like to emphasize that nothing like that has been mentioned by Capelight Pictures. So it may as well be a 4K scan from the same 35mm elements that until now may have only been scanned in 2K or something similar.

In any case it will be a monumental improvement over that Blu-ray from Olive that looks worse than a good DVD.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I am sure none of us would mind but I would like to emphasize that nothing like that has been mentioned by Capelight Pictures. So it may as well be a 4K scan from the same 35mm elements that until now may have only been scanned in 2K or something similar.

In any case it will be a monumental improvement over that Blu-ray from Olive that looks worse than a good DVD.

I was just joking. To get the full 2.76 AR you would have to scan from the 70mm Ultra Panavision elements. Costs are higher ($100,000?) to scan 70mm than 35mm.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
They would also have to go back to the mono reel one. When mgm did the first sd laserdisc, they used the soundtrack album for the Main title music in stereo. they still do - the original main title had a 50 plus orchjetra and a 35 piece chorus. the record al;bum only used about 22 players in the orchesdtra and a 12 voice chorus. Hoever,m you can go the that song sung again for the final cast music and hear part of how the original sounded.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
They would also have to go back to the mono reel one. When mgm did the first sd laserdisc, they used the soundtrack album for the Main title music in stereo. they still do - the original main title had a 50 plus orchjetra and a 35 piece chorus. the record al;bum only used about 22 players in the orchesdtra and a 12 voice chorus. Hoever,m you can go the that song sung again for the final cast music and hear part of how the original sounded.

I would be surprised if there were no 6-track roadshow prints left that they could work with. No idea why they did not go that route when they first noticed the missing parts. I know of a German 70mm print but unfortunately it is dubbed. There is also a chance that prints could be accessed in Norway, the Netherlands, the UK or Sweden.

Last edited:

Malcolm Bmoor

Second Unit
Real Name
Malcolm Blackmoor
I fully realise that one isn't supposed to be negative about a film on this forum as there are always those who love it and take offence.

But I saw HALLEJUAH TRAIL back in the day in a perfect 70mm Cinerama presentation and thought it an unfunny feeble non-event. Terrific technical quality is my enthusiasm as much as anyone else's but if this film was back into that perfect presentation over the road I wouldn't move the cat from my lap to go there.

Surely there are a multitude of films worth the discussion but this one, and I thought the huge screen stretched the alleged comedy even thinner, can IN MY OPINION be forgotten here as it's been forgotten or never known in most other places. It's apparent that the script was always the problem and no matter how beautifully it was made it was only made to make money and it didn't, because the moment that it was decided to film that script it was going to be a failure.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I fully realise that one isn't supposed to be negative about a film on this forum as there are always those who love it and take offence.

But I saw HALLEJUAH TRAIL back in the day in a perfect 70mm Cinerama presentation and thought it an unfunny feeble non-event. Terrific technical quality is my enthusiasm as much as anyone else's but if this film was back into that perfect presentation over the road I wouldn't move the cat from my lap to go there.

Surely there are a multitude of films worth the discussion but this one, and I thought the huge screen stretched the alleged comedy even thinner, can IN MY OPINION be forgotten here as it's been forgotten or never known in most other places. It's apparent that the script was always the problem and no matter how beautifully it was made it was only made to make money and it didn't, because the moment that it was decided to film that script it was going to be a failure.

No offence taken as life is too short for that.

I will say though that it never ceases to amaze me when people come to a thread like this one to tell the other participants in that thread what a worthless/forgettable stinker that movie is.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I will say though that it never ceases to amaze me when people come to a thread like this one to tell the other participants in that thread what a worthless/forgettable stinker that movie is.
Why does that amaze you? People should be able to express their opinion regardless whether they like or dislike any film. What I find distasteful is people being obnoxious with their negativity such as posting multiple negative comments throughout a thread.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
"But I saw HALLEJUAH TRAIL back in the day in a perfect 70mm Cinerama presentation and thought it an unfunny feeble non-event"

How dare you!

Actually I agree with you. Comedy just wasn't John Sturges or Burt Lancanster's forte, & the film isn't a good one. It's just that I saw it at the cinema when I was 14, & I liked it then & still do. It's a beautifully shot big Hollywood western with a fantastic Elmer Bernstein score & I'd like to own a good looking Blu-ray of it (another not so great film I saw & enjoyed in 1965 was Hammer's She, & I'd love a Blu-ray of that one too).

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Why does that amaze you? People should be able to express their opinion regardless whether they like or dislike any film. What I find distasteful is people being obnoxious with their negativity such as posting multiple negative comments throughout a thread.
Because there are lots of movies I do not like and that I do not want to ever watch again - why would I post in a thread that is dedicated to the home video version of that movie when I have no interest in watching, let alone purchasing it?

Apart from that I never said he should not post here - as you correctly point out it is not against the rules.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Comedy just wasn't John Sturges or Burt Lancanster's forte, & the film isn't a good one. It's just that I saw it at the cinema when I was 14, & I liked it then & still do. It's a beautifully shot big Hollywood western with a fantastic Elmer Bernstein score & I'd like to own a good looking Blu-ray of it [...]
It is a western it looks fantastic and the score is beautiful - obviously I am very easy to please!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks