What's new

The "Guilty Pleasures" Movie Confession Thread (1 Viewer)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
What is the definition of a guilty pleasure film? The reason I ask because I see a lot of films mentioned in this thread that are actually good movies. To me, a guilty pleasure is a film that isn't good, but you like it anyway and enjoy watching it quite often.

In general, I agree with Robert's description of a "Guilty Pleasure", but people can (more or less) use the description they choose to. A LOT of movies I see panned as "garbage" are really just misunderstood, and actually extremely well done, or more often, highly ambitious but flawed. Several of the movies I'll include on my list are simply ones that most HTF members probably wouldn't ever be inclined to watch.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
1659627884849.png

Eight Legged Freaks, a creature feature comedy in the same family as Critters or Gremlins with a touch of Arachnophobia. They actually give some of the spiders vocalizations that sound a bit like gremlin laughter. :laugh: Cast includes David Arquette, Kari Wuhrer, Scarlett Johanssen, Rick Overton, Doug E. Doug, and Matt Czuchry. Love the gag with the cat vs. spider fight inside the walls of a house.

Finally came out on blu-ray last year from Shout! Factory, though I always thought the DVD from 2002 looked pretty good.

1659628399220.png

BeneficialAggravatingCaracal-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

- Walter.

Well, I already mentioned Before I Fall. At the moment, I'm just slammed with things, such as managing the lives and finances of my 90 year old parents, who are on a waiting list to go into assisted living after three months of investigating options. In addition, I shattered a crown a couple weeks ago and am in the middle of three months of processes to prevent the tooth from having to be removed and replaced with an implant. Also, my refrigerator died, so I got a new one, which is defective, and I get to go through the endless process of getting something functional. Oh yeah, I have a full-time business in addition.

So... I'll get to it, eventually.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Sorry you're having to deal with all that kind of stuff. The real world sure has a way of intruding into our lives. Anyway...

I thought more about the subject of this thread and Robert's definition sounds pretty close. Some of the films that I consider guilty pleasures might be more accurately classified as underrated or misunderstood.

- Walter.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
"The Bonfire of the Vanities" would qualify for that.

I like Bonfire, I guess it certainly qualifies as a guilty pleasure.

My take on a guilty pleasure is it should be a film that most people think stinks. So, that they can attempt to make you feel guilty for liking it. Ha!

If the picture is thought to be good by critics or most people how can anybody try to make you feel guilty for liking it?

This is why I always try to make people feel guilty for liking Prometheus. It's a steaming turd of a film and so there has to be some kind of shame for liking something like that...right?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
This is why I always try to make people feel guilty for liking Prometheus. It's a steaming turd of a film and so there has to be some kind of shame for liking something like that...right?
Please just don't go there. For one thing, you've made your opinion quite obvious.

Most of all, this thread is intended to celebrate what we each find to be unsung gems, at least in some way. Not to slam anyone for liking a movie.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
So, one area of "Guilty Pleasure" I often enjoy is movies which tend to have a low critic rating and a relatively high audience rating on RT. One I was going to mention is Cruel Intentions. It has a moderate 54% critics and 80% audience, and I think it's basically pretty awesome. A more extreme case is The Best of Me (Theatrical. NOT, NOT the revised version), which has a 12%/59%. I can definitely see what's wrong with the movie, not the least of which is the teen years actors bear zero resemblance to the 30s actors who portray the same characters. All the same, I freaking love this movie.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Not thinking of any title specifically, but in general, if it was a film that I loved from like ages 8 to 12, I still love it today with the same uncritical, adoring, innocent viewpoint that I had back then. I can recognize on a technical or intellectual level the shortcomings those films have, but I still love them and find them infinitely watchable. I’m glad its worked out that way because it keeps a tiny bit of my childhood alive and present no matter how old I get or how much I grow and change.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Please just don't go there. For one thing, you've made your opinion quite obvious.

Most of all, this thread is intended to celebrate what we each find to be unsung gems, at least in some way. Not to slam anyone for liking a movie.
It was just a joke, maybe not a great one but a joke none the less. I don’t believe anyone should feel guilty about liking any picture. If you enjoy it or are moved by it, or entertained great.

Well, maybe except for Prometheus. 😀

tsodcollector

Supporting Actor
Real Name
matthew baduria
You could double feature Deal of the Century with Brian De Palma's 1986 black comedy flop Wise Guys, which features SNL alum Joe Piscopo and the always great Danny DeVito. It's another film I enjoy watching that is pretty much seen as a bomb that critics hated and audiences rejected at the time. De Palma did start doing comedy so not out of his wheelhouse to make one but like Friedkin, at the time he made this he was not known for comedy.
i've seen it,it was pretty good.

tsodcollector

Supporting Actor
Real Name
matthew baduria
I have Can't Buy Me Love through iTunes, and it's always just been a sweet, silly movie. I watched it recently. I recall taking a couple hours off from work one afternoon in my early 20s to see it at a theater in San Antonio. Unfortunately, Amanda Peterson, who was born and raised about 30 miles from where I was and returned to in my 30s, had a rather short and tragic life.
i've seen can't buy me love,it's one of my all time favorites.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Trailers for the two movies I mentioned today.

Cruel Intentions

The Best of Me

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I grew up in a factory town, but I some how went through a “stuck up sticky beak” stage when I was in university where I looked down on popular music and popular movies. The 60’s were also the era of gargantuan flop musicals. I would put a paper bag over my head and be the only one in the audience for “Star”, “Goodby Mr. Chips”, “Dr. Doolittle” etc. etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks