What's new

The "Guilty Pleasures" Movie Confession Thread (1 Viewer)

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
A couple of other guilty pleasures of mine are:

The Stupids with Tom Arnold. 21% on rotten tomatoes if that means anything. This has to be in the top 5 movies I laughed the hardest at when I first saw it. I met John Landis years ago at the Austin Film Festival and just mentioning the title he started laughing and said it was the funniest screenplay he'd ever read.

Land of the Lost. This was a huge bomb at the box office, but it seems to get funnier every time I watch it. There are big gags, subtle background gags and so much in-between. It's completely absurd. And the desert with random remnants of our world dropped in is masterful production design.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I am not as big a fan these days of these films as I once was, but in the spirit of this thread I'll mention a couple of exploitation films from the late '60s and early '70s.

1967's Born Losers - The films claim to fame is the introduction of the character of Billy Jack. It featured a whole array of scummy bad guys for our hero to face off against in the form of a violent motorcycle gang terrorizing the inhabitants of a small California town. This film was part of the wave of cinema in which standards were relaxed, in terms of its treatment of some of the female characters and in the level of violence depicted on screen.

1971's Billy Jack - This film embraces a counter culture life style for its ostensible protagonists, but despite that viewpoint there is plenty of violence. This film ups the martial arts component of the title character's arsenal which is part of the attraction of the feature. (Still remember Billy Jack explaining to someone how he was going to take his foot and hit them in the face with it. :) )

Two B films that found an audience and gave Tom Laughlin a measure of stardom. They are an interesting artifact of that time in filmmaking and American culture.

- Walter.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Billy Jack was the top grossing film in America for 1971. Very impressive for a B film.

Personally, the "drive-in" nature of both films puts them in the guilty pleasure category for me, but it certainly is a subjective judgement.

- Walter.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Billy Jack was the top grossing film in America for 1971. Very impressive for a B film.

Personally, the "drive-in" nature of both films puts them in the guilty pleasure category for me, but it certainly is a subjective judgement.

- Walter.
I disagree as the movie became too mainstream to be put into any guilty pleasure category.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

- Walter.
That really surprises me, that it was the top grossing movie of the year. I've seen it once since I saw it in the theater, many years later, and it is not a good movie.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That really surprises me, that it was the top grossing movie of the year. I've seen it once since I saw it in the theater, many years later, and it is not a good movie.
I was in high school when Billy Jack came out and just about most of the kids I hanged out with back then watched Billy Jack in the theater or drive-in. It was a real popular movie.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
In light of recent news, a definite guilty pleasure for me is Six Days and Seven Nights with Anne Heche and Harrison Ford.

Last edited:

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I also finally watched Clue after hearing so many people saying they love that movie. I'm pretty sure they watched it when they were in that magical 8-12 years old period, because it did very little for me (other than the obvious with Yvette, the maid). So I wouldn't be surprised if Clue were mentioned somewhere in this thread. ;)

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
All things Kaju...Godzilla, Mothra, etc!! Toho was and is still super fun time!!
Ishiro Honda Godzilla GIF by Coolidge Corner Theatre
Flying Inoshiro Honda GIF by Turner Classic Movies

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Watching Speed. I put this in the guilty pleasure category- not a good film, but an entertaining bowl of popcorn. This is a film that snobs can pick apart in the suspension of disbelief department- it just occurred to me a flaw in logic is at the beginning of the film- Jack and Harry go to the roof of the building to hook the cable to the elevator. Payne blows the emergency brakes. How does Jack and Harry know which floor to go to for unloading the passengers?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Watching Speed. I put this in the guilty pleasure category- not a good film, but an entertaining bowl of popcorn. This is a film that snobs can pick apart in the suspension of disbelief department- it just occurred to me a flaw in logic is at the beginning of the film- Jack and Harry go to the roof of the building to hook the cable to the elevator. Payne blows the emergency brakes. How does Jack and Harry know which floor to go to for unloading the passengers?
IMO, it's too popular of a film to be consider a guilty pleasure.

Barney1

Grip
Real Name
Vince
Bridesmaids.

I guess because it's a chick movie, but I've watched it several times. I actually think there's a lot of pain in that movie that's played for laughs. Comedy/tragedy two sides of the same coin. It helps if you've been to a lot of weddings and if you grew up with sisters. You can count on weddings to bring out the worst in people.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I picked up an obscure TV series that Network remastered in a BD Boxset. I had only seen it on YT. I loved the 50s Space Partol series, but this is totaly different. They were able to remaster the full series and just pulls the child right out of you. Right Along with Gigantor, it's Space Patrol (with puppets)

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Adventures In Babysitting - 1987 film starring Elisabeth Shue. She is just so darn cute in this film. Vince D'Onofrio is cast as Thor. What else can go wrong? "Nobody leaves here without singin' the Blues!"

Xanadu - 1980 musical with Olivia and Gene Kelly. Fantastic soundtrack and a sweet dance/duet with Olivia and Gene.

Valley Of Gwangi - James Franciscus in 1969 stop-motion dinosaur favorite. I remember watching this on on TV and enjoying James Franciscus. I then fully enjoyed another of his films from the same time period, Beneath The Planet Of The Apes. I mean, really, Heston returns and Nova (Linda Harrison) has more screen time. This one I like almost as much as the original. I saw them at the appropriate age (13-14) and both Apes film ran at our local theater as part of the afternoon triple feature.

Not sure if this one counts, the 1976 King Kong starring Jessica Lange, Jeff Bridges, Charles Grodin.

George Of The Jungle - 1997 Brendan Fraser cartoon to film Tarzan parody with great voice work from John Cleese. Slapstick comedy that still tickles me.

Hunter Killer - 2018 Gerard Butler and Gary Oldman submarine film. An enjoyable "mission;impossible" type film.

Barney1

Grip
Real Name
Vince
Another day, another guilty pleasure...

Anaconda (1997)

As I have posted before I am quite fond of survival stories and that story element is present in this film. This film has a pretty decent cast, including Jennifer Lopez, Jon Voight, Eric Stoltz, Ice Cube, Owen Wilson, and Danny Trejo. Jon Voight is the main attraction here with his hammy, scenery chewing villain Paul Serone.

The film deals with a National Geographic crew in the Amazon jungle whose expedition goes astray when they run into issues with their craft and pick up a mysterious stranger, Paul Serone. Serone eventually subverts their expedition and a hunt for the title creature begins. A survival story of sorts ensues with members of the crew perishing as the storyline of the film proceeds.

True to its action film roots, there is an eventual horrific confrontation with the anaconda.

I consider this a guilty pleasure due to the nature of the film, but it is reasonably well crafted in terms of cinematography and production design. The editing and pacing of the film help generate suspense and it is an easy adventure / suspense film to take in. I have not seen this in a long time, maybe something I need to correct.

- Walter.
I remember enjoying this, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks