What's new

The Great HTF Music Challenge (1 Viewer)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Joan Jett - "I Love Rock and Roll" & "I Hate Myself For Loving You" - Always enjoyed the energy of both of these selections. Her cover of "I Love Rock and Roll" is one of those instances where the covering artist basically takes over the song.

- Walter.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
In the late 70s, the King Tutankhamun exhibit was touring the United States. Like thousands of others, I went to see the collection...

Steve Martin - "King Tut" (from SNL - and I saw this when it aired):

That lead to a guilty pleasure song from the 80s...

The Bangles - "Walk Like an Egyptian":

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Joan Jett - "I Love Rock and Roll" & "I Hate Myself For Loving You" - Always enjoyed the energy of both of these selections. Her cover of "I Love Rock and Roll" is one of those instances where the covering artist basically takes over the song.

- Walter.

The only Joan Jett song I remember playing over and over again, was "Victim of Circumstance".

(Iirc, it was on the "i love rock n roll" album).

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
We've not discussed "piano players" so...

While I've never been much of a Billy Joel fan (I don't think he sings all that well) I do like several of his songs - enough to have purchased a 2 disc "Greatest Hits" collection - although "Piano Man" got so much air play when it was released I could go my entire life without ever hearing it again and be OK (I regularly skip it when playing that set). In spite of that, he's one of the few acts I've seen live (mainly because Elton John was on the tour with him and the tickets were free).

Here are a couple of my favorites from him...

Billy Joel - "You May Be Right":

Billy Joel - "It's Still Rock and Roll to Me":

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Here's a track you just don't hear very often - at least in its original form. I much prefer this recording over the live version that gets all the attention. The album it's from, "Back in '72," needs an official US release.

Bob Seger - "Turn the Page" (this is the original studio version):

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I've been revisiting some old favorites lately... here's another classic track from Chick Corea (and it fits with piano players)...

Chick Corea and Return to Forever - "Spain":

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Billy Joel - Glass Houses. Picked this up when it first streeted and always enjoyed it.

Not a huge fan of "It's Still Rock and Roll To Me", perhaps I was reading too much Rolling Stone back then. :) I do like "You May Be Right". I was an avid motorcyclist during that time of my life and the 'And I rode my motorcycle in the rain' lyric was enough to endear this song to me. One of my favorite songs from the album is:

"Don't Ask Me Why"

- Walter.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
Kevin Croninof REO Speedwagon is a piano player. I’ve always liked the piano on this tune.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
Billy Joel is hit and miss with me, but I think Glass Houses is his best album and love both the tracks you posted.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
My cousin Flo Price from her albums 'Bright New World'(1969) and 'Back Home' (1972) folk/gospel
I think she has a really good voice similar to Joan Baez (I'm not just saying that because I'm related :)) She had a television program in the early 70'sthat aired near where she lived in California.

Last edited:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Don't Fight It

This one's OK just not something I would go looking for. It seems to lack a real identity. Is it a love song? Is it a motivational song?

Whenever

Way too mushy for me.

My Brain Is Like A Sieve

Not to the same extent of the pervious track but still on the soft side for my taste, plus now I have to look up "sieve." I hate homework.

Do You Want Crying

Of the tracks submitted I find this one the most appealing. It has an element of excitement the others lack and some nice guitar and vocals.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
The Cult - "She Sells Sanctuary":

I can get with this one. Nice drum track and accompanying guitar although it does have that typical 80's feel.

Tears For Fears - "Head Over Heels":

I've always liked this group. They just have a mellow and somewhat unique sound that I enjoy. I've heard this one many times. Nice song.

David & David - "Welcome To The Boomtown":

Not a fan of the tempo changes and the song sounds pretty generic overall.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
BIG PIG

Breakaway

This seems like one of those songs with a message only true fans can comprehend. As such it did little for me although I did enjoy the instrumentation.

Hungry Town

I'll give them points for style here. This is a very interesting take on this type of material.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
The Greg Kinh Band

"The Breakup Song":
I like this song just fine but, yea, it sounds like 1000 others of the genre so I wouldn't be seeking it out.

"Jeopardy":
This is a cool song and, like you, I had only heard Al's version prior, which I think is excellent and a great example of what makes that man special. Thanks for sharing this one!

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Joan Jett & the Blackhearts

"I Love Rock and Roll":

Always loved Joan and this is an awesome song. Weird Al took a turn at this one too and did a pretty good job.

"I Hate Myself for Loving You":
Yea Joan can pretty much do no wrong in my book. This is another awesome track.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
In the late 70s, the King Tutankhamun exhibit was touring the United States. Like thousands of others, I went to see the collection...
Steve Martin - "King Tut" (from SNL - and I saw this when it aired):

That lead to a guilty pleasure song from the 80s...

The Bangles - "Walk Like an Egyptian":

Same here with Steve Martin's legendary King Tut. What an amazing time for SNL. They had so much talent coming through that place back then. Still some talented performers today but certainly not on the same level.

I never really liked Walk Like An Egyptian but give it credit as a classic nonetheless.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
We've not discussed "piano players" so...

While I've never been much of a Billy Joel fan (I don't think he sings all that well) I do like several of his songs - enough to have purchased a 2 disc "Greatest Hits" collection - although "Piano Man" got so much air play when it was released I could go my entire life without ever hearing it again and be OK (I regularly skip it when playing that set). In spite of that, he's one of the few acts I've seen live (mainly because Elton John was on the tour with him and the tickets were free).

Here are a couple of my favorites from him...

Billy Joel - "You May Be Right":

Billy Joel - "It's Still Rock and Roll to Me":

Billy's another one where I pretty much enjoy anything he releases. These are definitely in that category. Nice selections.

Here is one of my favorites.
Billy Joel - Piano Man

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Here's a track you just don't hear very often - at least in its original form. I much prefer this recording over the live version that gets all the attention. The album it's from, "Back in '72," needs an official US release.

Bob Seger - "Turn the Page" (this is the original studio version):

Not really my style but I have heard this before and the man has a powerful voice.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I've been revisiting some old favorites lately... here's another classic track from Chick Corea (and it fits with piano players)...

Chick Corea and Return to Forever - "Spain":

Not a Jazz fan although I certainly respect the musicianship here.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Billy Joel - Glass Houses. Picked this up when it first streeted and always enjoyed it.

Not a huge fan of "It's Still Rock and Roll To Me", perhaps I was reading too much Rolling Stone back then. :) I do like "You May Be Right". I was an avid motorcyclist during that time of my life and the 'And I rode my motorcycle in the rain' lyric was enough to endear this song to me. One of my favorite songs from the album is:

"Don't Ask Me Why"

- Walter.

As I said before, I enjoy all of this mans work. He's right up there with Elton John for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks