What's new

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (4k Remastered Blu-ray) Single Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Any dye transfer print used as reference is a bit of a fool's errand, unless one has a CORRECT dye transfer print.

While I'm not suggesting that an incorrect use of reference is at fault here, I've made the point before, and will make it again, that there is absolutely nothing that makes a typical dye transfer print magically reference material.

RAH

It looks more natural though, I say that having been at the places where the dollar movies were shot a few times - the sky was never greenish when I was there. And I know very well that this single IBTech print will hardly look exactly as the director and DoP intended.

Lil Brutto

Agent
Real Name
LB
Thanks for your reply, Robert. I've read your article on the subject. How about if you have 6 dye transfer prints from around the world (US, German and Italian) at your disposal and they all are comparable with each other? On top of that a screening of another US dye transfer print had an image similar to the 6 dye transfer prints. Of course there's some color variability across prints/reels, and even any bias that results from the conversion from analog to digital color space, variability in computer monitors/TVs etc we've yet to see a print source that looks anything like the MGM 4K BD.

Last edited:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for your reply, Robert. I've read your article on the subject. How about if you have 6 dye transfer prints from around the world (US, German and Italian) at your disposal and they all are comparable with each other? On top of that a screening of another US dye transfer print had an image similar to the 6 dye transfer prints. Of course there's some color variability across prints/reels, and even any bias that results from the conversion from analog to digital color space, variability in computer monitors/TVs etc we've yet to see a print source that looks anything like the MGM 4K BD.

As the Blu-ray of TGTBATU looks unlike any print of any westerns that I have ever seen theatrically including three of the Leone westerns I would say that there is a good chance that you are on to something there - really 6+1 prints? That is a lot and hard to ignore but I would not be surprised if somebody would say that you got it all wrong and that it means very little. Myself I hope that there will be a retiming of the 4k scan by MGM. It certainly has very nice detail.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
AND, I really hope that if they revisit this title they'll ALSO give us the theatrical cut.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Once again, one must take into account that any showing of any dye transfer print that was timed for carbon arc projection has to be seen with that projection, rather than today's Xenon bulbs. If adjustments aren't made for that you're not seeing the print as it was shown back in the day.

Lil Brutto

Agent
Real Name
LB
...I would say that there is a good chance that you are on to something there - really 6+1 prints? That is a lot and hard to ignore but I would not be surprised if somebody would say that you got it all wrong and that it means very little.
That's correct, a total of 7 serving as color references , which at the very least should give an acceptable approximation of what it looked like in theatres in the late 60s.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
That's correct, a total of 7 serving as color references , which at the very least should give an acceptable approximation of what it looked like in theatres in the late 60s.

Excellent!
It has to be said there that this is some incredible work that has been done there with people coming together from all over the world, Let's hope that MGM does not ignore your findings.

hanshotfirst1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
Well, I'm glad I kept my old DVD to make a combo pack anyway. Damn you, MGM :(! Well, at least we got the mono this time, I suppose :(.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks