What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The Giant Leeches {Attack of} (1 Viewer)

saucerfiend

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian Austin
Is there a really nice print of Attack of the Giant Leeches available anywhere?

Brian

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Wasn't there a decent release of this one one of the major labels - Rhino perhaps. I wonder what Sinister Cinema's print is like.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Thanks for the heads-up David. I have all those on DVD, but never upgraded. So, I ordered PHANTOM FROM SPACE/FROZEN ALIVE; THE WASP WOMAN/BEAST FROM HAUNTED CAVE and TEENAGERS FROM OUTER SPACE/THE GIANT LEECHES...what a haul and will enjoying watching them on the big screen.

saucerfiend

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian Austin
Marengo Films had the best DVD, paired with a Bucket of Blood

But Retormedia released it on Blu-ray with Teenagers from Outer Space. Both are widescreen

I have a good friend who has the blu-ray of "Leeches" and "Teenagers". He's like me and looking for a respectable print. He advised me to it was pretty bad. However Teenagers was very nice. I'll have to see if I have the Marengo copy. Thanks!

saucerfiend

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian Austin
Thanks for the heads-up David. I have all those on DVD, but never upgraded. So, I ordered PHANTOM FROM SPACE/FROZEN ALIVE; THE WASP WOMAN/BEAST FROM HAUNTED CAVE and TEENAGERS FROM OUTER SPACE/THE GIANT LEECHES...what a haul and will enjoying watching them on the big screen.
Please let us know what you think of them.

Brian

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
They arent that bad and are a step above DVD. I own the Blu-ray. And both titles are in their OAR, Leeches isnt that bad, but its not going to be something that resembles a Criterion release.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I think I have it. I'll have to check. I'll let you know what I think. Thanks!
I had the Alpha copy and I didn't care for it. It is somewhat watchable, but really not that good. I also noticed that every title they carry has the studio's logo and sometimes part of the opening credits chopped off.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
They arent that bad and are a step above DVD. I own the Blu-ray. And both titles are in their OAR, Leeches isnt that bad, but its not going to be something that resembles a Criterion release.
Yes. I remember that Leeches was put out on blu a while back as part of a double feature, but didn't think about it until now. I don't know how good it looks since I don't own it.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
It's worth getting as long as your expectations aren't sky high. I love the release as a whole. I wish more came out like this!

saucerfiend

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian Austin
Ordered the "Marenga" double feature and a copy of "Leeches" on the Reel Vault label as I understand it is the "Definitive" print or so a few reviews I've seen say. I'll give a report when received and viewed.
BTW, fount the Alpha copy and turned it off 15 mins. in. I think they cut off the beginning credit so there's less chance of legal problems.

Brian

saucerfiend

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian Austin
OK, watched the Marengo copy and the beginning and night scenes are lightened up to the point that you can see things that haven't been visible in other prints. The other scenes look very good to excellent. A clean and detailed print overall.Then, watched the Video Vault copy which is packaged very nicely. The print was extremely clean, but
very dark. If this was lightened while transferring it would have been excellent. Although I watched the whole movie, it was hard to enjoy, as it was too dark. Some scenes indoors and the last scenes shot in daylight looked best. I scanned through the Marenga right after that viewing to immediately see the difference. Final thoughts are that the Marenga IS THE BEST. I just wish the beginning and night scenes had some depth to them. I spoke to the guy that runs Marenga and he says if he did the transfer again with his newer system, it would be about 30% better.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SJeans123
Recent bookmarks