The Genographic Project

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Henry Gale, Apr 14, 2005.

1. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

[c]The Genographic Project[/c]

Has anyone here participated in this yet?
    Heard about it on NPR yesterday and looked up the site.
    For about a hundred bucks they will test your DNA (total anonymity) and trace your genetic background.
    Using your code # you can come back to the site as they gain more data base and your profile will have been updated.
    I'm pretty interested in doing it, but I'm not getting any real sense of what the info will look like.
    The anonymity is nice, but once you've admitted that Warren G. Harding is an uncle...I kinda gave that up a long time ago. :b

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Pretty fascinating.

I'm tempted too.

3. Michael Warner

Michael Warner Supporting Actor

It sounds interesting but it seems like the $100 DNA kits are being used more as fundraisers rather than as real contributions to the research. It's the 100,000 indigenous people that they plan to test that form the real core of the research. Mutts like me don't provide much, if any, useful data as a man living in the U.S. with roots in Europe, Africa, and North America does nothing to help them focus their research. Still, it might be fun to look at your personal DNA info just for kicks.

4. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Hmm...this is tempting too as my family has always stated we are "full blood Chinese."

5. Dennis*G

Dennis*G Supporting Actor

True there is a core group, but the more peole that get the test done, the more detailed the reports they can get, including your DNA history..

Just wish they could get the tests a tad cheaper..