What's new

The Future of Multi-Disc DVD Players? (1 Viewer)

Matt-B

Auditioning
First let me start off by saying this is my first post here at HTF, so be nice.

I'm 21 years old, and ever since they started syndication of The Simpsons back in the mid-90's, it's always been my dream to have an "all Simpsons" channel. Then, when other great shows such as Futurama, Seinfeld, Family Guy, Curb Your Enthusiasm, The Critic, etc came out, in my little dream world I would add those to my personalized channel. It is only now, thanks to the advent of DVD's, that my dream can come true.

So, pursuing the dream, you can only imagine my horror when I found out the only player on the market that does more than 6 or so discs is the 400-disc Sony DVP-CX985V. Actually, the horror wasn't when I found out that that was the only player available, but rather when I started hunting down reviews for it, only to find out many people were plagued with problems with it, it's a pain to program, gives you a small limited number of groups to program, and has a terrible interface.

So, I ask you now, what is on the horizon for large disc capacity DVD players? Is Sony currently working on the successor to this model, which will hopefully fix all the problems of its predecessor? Are any other companies working on a large capacity disc DVD player with the ability to program custom groups and a "random" playback mode? What does the future hold?

-Matt

Jimi C

Screenwriter
Kenwood also has a 400 disk dvd changer, in fact i beleive they were the first.. but you will find the reviews on these too be the same if not worse than those of the Sony. There have been rumours of them updating the high end soverign line next year, which i assume will include an updated 400 disk dvd changer. Hopefully with fewer bugs. Personally, id hold out for the Kenwood.. there 5 disk changer, the dv5700 had a large following here at htf due to its superior video quality. It was the first to use the forudja chip and didnt suffer from the chroma bug.

Bob*S

Stunt Coordinator
The Pioneer DV-F727 and Pioneer Elite DV-F07 are both 301 disc changers.

Bob

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
its called the kaliedoscope. its around $45k right now for a full system. on-demand movie access from multiple rooms in the house. no quality degredation, and is scalable to hold several thousand movies uncompressed...

sure, its expensive, but one day it could be affordable. but its very very very slick. you can have a touch-screen in a room, select from a list of movie titles, and when you press play, it skips all the crap, and starts the movie immediately. and you get all the pause, play, stop, etc commands on the fly, as well as serving out movies to multiple rooms at once. almost like what a hotel would/could use for an on-demand PPV system.

Hank_P

Second Unit
Matt, you may be missing something by reading the reviews of the sony 400 disc changer. I have read many of the same reviews, noticed the same statments, but I would have to disagree with the term "plagued with problems". I have yet to read any review where the sound suffered or the picture was bad, "off", or distorted in any way. If you have a piece of equipment that gives you great sound and great picture, I don't think this is a problem (actually a perk for much of the equipment on the market).

I think what you want to say is "that the 400 changer is not user friendly, is there one out there that has as good/better sound/video"? I am seriously looking at the 985 or the 777ES, the question I have to ask myself, is this user interface acceptable? Probably, because there is some software available for the 777ES that would allow me to resolve any interface issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks