What's new

The funs almost over.......sorta (1 Viewer)

MatS

Screenwriter
looking forward to the (first of many) OT Star Wars dvds
but just like I didn't stop watching other movies when Star Wars came out I will not stop purchasing other dvds

the fun is far from over

John Alderson

Supporting Actor
After Star Wars and the forthcoming Hitchcock box set, about all I truly crave (that I can think of) is The Double Life of Veronique.

Catalogue titles, that is. Still lots of good new stuff coming out :)

john mcfadden

Stunt Coordinator
I too have the original versions of the TRILOGY on LD that i ran through the computer, remastered them ,sharpened the picture and damn if they do'nt look and sound offical. So like the other postings ....I could care less about Lucas's ego versions ....I wanna know when WARNER is going to release "ICE PIRATES" and i know that warner holds the rights because i found a brand new copy on VHS at Boscovs for 2.99 !! Cover said MGM all over it and once i opened it it had a Warner Bros sticker .....I also want more catolog titles than the shit the studios try to pump down our throats as being the bees knees on dvd...

BarryS

Second Unit
Bah.. who needs Star Wars when you've got Lord of the Rings? In my personal opinion, Peter Jackson's trilogy is vastly superior to Lucas'. We've already got the greatest fantasy films ever made on the greatest DVD sets ever made (Extended Editions). That's all I need. And a Kill Bill mega-special edition.

DanFe

Second Unit
BarryS, I was waiting to hear someone with common sense to come into the thread and state the obvious.:)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Actually, I am just sorta sick of Star Wars.

Yes, it's one of my all-time favorite films and
I am extremely excited about its release to DVD.

But you know what? The mere fact that Lucas made
us all wait 7 years for this title gives me a
rather negative perspective on its release.

I will say san Star Wars this was the year
that I got everything I wanted on DVD. With the
release of the Marx Brothers and Jerry Lewis to the
format, I now own every title I ever longed for.

Oh, sure there are a few titles I'd like to see
released but I'm certain they will come soon.

James N

Grip
If you're passionate about film, the fun will never be over, plain and simple. There is so much to see.

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
I won't rest until the always-talked-about version of It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World comes out. Y'know, the roadshow cut, fully restored, correct aspect ratio, re-recorded dialogue etc....

Then I'll be happy!

(Actually, I'm already happy this year with Seinfeld, Dawn of the Dead Ultimate Edition, Videodrome Criterion, Knight Rider, A Woman is a Woman etc...!)

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
i still want 'the abyss - director's cut' in anamorphic widescreen + audio commentary by james cameron and a 2nd one with the cast members.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member

Ron:

Thanks for stating that. A lot of us feel that way.

However, either Lucas is a marketing genius, or has incredibly good luck, because this is the best time for the Original Star Wars Trilogy to be released to DVD. DVD is at its peak as a format at this time *and* Episode III needs the boost in interest that this release will provide.

As for the fun being gone from DVD: Far from it! We're still looking for "The Original, Original" Star Wars Trilogy on DVD! The next chance for that release is probably ... 2007! (As part of the 30th Anniversary "definitive" box, perhaps?)

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will

It wouldn't surprise me. That would definitely be one of those releases that I'd swear blindly not to buy - for fear of further lining Lucas' pockets.

(I'd end up buying it in the end, of course.)

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"Bah.. who needs Star Wars when you've got Lord of the Rings? In my personal opinion, Peter Jackson's trilogy is vastly superior to Lucas'."

JRR Tolkien's LOTR is pretty good. It is not a trilogy, and neither is Star Wars. I don't know many trilogies containing 6 entries. That's one of the crazy things I don't understand about the new SW DVDs...SW hasn't been a trilogy since 1999, and yet the set is labeled "The Star Wars Trilogy".

Scotty_McW

Second Unit
I'm as big of a Star Wars geek as anyone and I'm certainly looking forward to the release. But there are other films that I'm discovering for the first time (The Enemy Below, The Ox-Bow Incident, etc) and titles I would like to see re-released (The Abyss, Ghost and the Darkness, etc). Plus all of the TV shows I want to get as well.

The fun isn't over for me. I've been collecting DVDs since 1998 and six years later I still get a rush at getting a new movie or TV season.:D

Jeremy, I understand what you mean. When I got my first movies in april 97, I was reading a lot on the net and waiting for Paramount and Fox to jump on the dvd train. those were big victorys. After that I was hoping for all my favorites childhood movies. And they all came (almost). In a way Star Wars in the end of a chapter in the history of the dvd format. But fun is not over. We just got news that Wild at Heart is coming in december. And I'm still waiting for Blade Runner. It was the first dvd I got. It could also be the last... before Hd-dvd or blue-laser.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
You know what Ron - youi pretty much nailed it.

Star Wars pretty much ceased to be Star Wars when the Special Editions came out. Also, I just finished transferring the first film from LD to DVD to my PC, and was pretty much blase about it. Eventually I'll do the other two, but I've got so much product right now that once I get them done they're just more space taken up on an overfilled shelf. At least I'll be happy that they aren't bootlegs, but personal copies that will be around until the LDs rot (knock, knock, knock).

Collecting Futurama was more fun...

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

I disagree with that. Star Wars is now two trilogies, the classic story, which centers around Luke, and the prequel, which centers around Anakin. The fact that there aren't that many characters in common with both trilogies allows me to seperate the two.

As for LotR, there are arguments both ways. To be honest, since it was published as three books, and made into three movies, I'd call it a trilogy.

As for the subject of this thread, I'd have to agree with Ron. A Star Wars release at this point doesn't even rate that highly anymore, particularly since we have so many great films out on DVD any more. I found I felt the same way when Indiana Jones came out as well. Course, I will pick it up, but I can't say I'm waiting with baited breath for it.

Jason

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member

I would suggest that it is not a trilogy in construct. As you know Jason, is was published as three books over Tolkien’s objections—he thought of it as one book.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
We certainly don't need another Star Wars vs. LOTR discussion around here. Why people constantly feel the need to compare these two trilogies is beyond me. If you like LOTR better than Star Wars, good for you! There are millions of others(like myself) who feel exactly the opposite.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks