What's new

"The Flash" - A Worthy Blind Buy? (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Damn those DVD-9s!!! :angry:

;)
my copy of the pilot played fine. if there are problems with the set it's going to take a while to find out because i probably won't be pulling it out very often until i finish off other sets.

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
No problems here (Denon DVD-1600), other than the fact that the sound on the pilot was coded unusually low (most of my other TV titles run at -12dB, but here I had to crank the amp to -4dB to get the same volume)...

James@R

Second Unit
I remember watching this when it originally aired, so I may pick it up. Unfortunately, it looks like this is yet another title my local Best Buy will understock.

The only episode I remember is the one with Nightshade. The animated Batman did a similar show which always reminded me of it.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Well, the pilot played fine on my Malata player - no skipping or glitches.

What? You mean other than The Hulk and Wonder Woman?

Bill Thomann

Supporting Actor
Mine skips at the second the Flash symbol appears to begin the credits 1:32:33 & skips for about 10 seconds of show time then stops & goes back to main menu. I'm playing it on a Panasonic DV-D4744S. I'm not even going to try to return it to CC since it plays the episode until the credits but I'll be at the front of the disc replacement line if one is offered. If anyone has an email address or 800 number to WB DVD I'd like to let them know of the problem (& the more they hear about the better chance of a disc replacement offer).

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
The skipping news is disappointing. I was hoping to pick it up from Best Buy today and use some of my rewards coupons. Of course, based on some reports, they might not even have it in stock. If it is only the pilot, maybe there will be a return plan. I'll probably give the store a look anyway.

I loved the show when it was on and taped (and kept) all the episodes (except the one that was interrupted by a Presidential health report). I've watched my tapes at least twice since then and am looking forward to the DVD versions.

Neil

Jason Gordon

Auditioning
Before it was announced for a dvd release,
I had not thought about this show that much.
I AM curious to see it again, but I'll wait for some more members reviews and also feedback about those skipping issues.

Others here have mentioned that the show was not campy.
I seem to remember a bit of camp; which did not thrill me at the time.

Hey, what can I say...when I was a kid in '71 reading The Flash comics, I thought James Franciscus was the definitive Barry Allen.

Man I need a life. HA!

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
I'm buying my copy tomorrow after work. I can't wait to crack open the set--I used to have the series taped on crappy VHS tapes and haven't watched the show in nearly a decade! I find it weird--though ultimately vindicating--that all the short-lived shows I enjoyed from the 90s are being put out on DVD!

Tried to play mine on my Sony DVP-S7000 and it skips and freezes up at the end of the pilot episode. Man I am pissed about this, I have waited forever to get the Flash and now that I have it it's messed up. I hope WB gets a fix on this and quick.

Henry V

Stunt Coordinator
Patrick, return if for a replacement set. I got my defective FLASH set replaced by Amazon and this one had no problems with the pilot so it's not an issue with all of the sets.

Bill Thomann

Supporting Actor
I took my defective copy back to CC & the replacement Pilot ending is glitch free.:emoji_thumbsup: I'd recommend giving at least one try with a new copy for those with bad ones. As Henry V says, it's not an issue with all copies.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
The Best Buy I went to yesterday was sold out, but I got a rain check and had them put the reward member price on that. Maybe the ones they will get in stock won't have any problems.

Neil

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
well I got my copy from DDD today... the episode plays perfectly until right after The Flash beats Pike.... and there it completely freezes up! :frowning:

I have a Pioneer DV-270

Went to exchange my messed up copy today at the local Best Buy but they were sold out. I guess I have to wait till they get more and cross my fingers that I get a better copy or wait for WB to do something about it. As it stands now I am waiting to watch any of it till this problem is fixed.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
No problems with the pilot episode on my Cyberhome 300 el-cheapo (I watched this in the computer room this morning while gathering TSoD news, so I haven't tried it yet on the big Panasonic 5-disc changer).

For about 2 minutes I thought the 3rd episode was going to have some problems on me, but they never quite developed. Heard a weird noise from the drive during that time, but no actual freezing occurred. It straighted out pretty quickly.

BrandonJF

Second Unit
Mine locks up at the end of the pilot as well. Funny how many Best Buys are sold out of this. It's gone at the two closest to me. I wonder if that's due to it selling well or because they are depleting stock with exchanges.

I remember when I wipped them out of one of the Gilmore Girls sets as we went through almost every copy in the store to get a disc 2 that wasn't all scratched up.

Rick P

Supporting Actor
Finally picked this up at BB today.. they had just (gasp!) re-stocked! It had been out since release-day and they got 6 more sets in this AM apparently... haven't tested it yet.

BrandonJF

Second Unit
I drove pretty far to get to a BB that had it in stock so I could exchange my defective one. None on the shelf had the exclusive comic (all of the ones I had seen on release day had it), so I was assuming they may have re-stocked or at least I hoped it was a different print run than the ones with the comic.

Luckily, the new set didn't lock up at the end of the pilot. After that drive, I was not gonna be happy if it had...

Julio Diaz

Stunt Coordinator
Cracked mine open tonight and watched the entire first disc. No worries at all on my cheapo Cyberhome CH-DVD 320.

On other notes: I thought for sure I had seen every episode, but I didn't remember the second and third episodes at all, so it was nice to see some "new to me" stuff. Looking forward to getting to Nightshade, Trickster, Captain Cold, etc.

Also, what a weird choice for the included comic at Best Buy. While it's not a bad read - I bought it when it was originally released in comic shops a few years back - it has nothing to do with the version of the Flash on the TV show at all. You'd think they'd have chosen a story that featured Barry Allen, and not one that would likely confuse people from outside the comic world by having two Flashes and neither one of them is Barry (and the cover even has ay Garrick, who wears a completely different suit!). DC did a one-shot based on the TV series back when it was on the air and I figured for sure that was what they'd reprint; otherwise, a classic Barry tale.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks