What's new

The "Ever Meet Someone Famous?" Thread (1 Viewer)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Have you ever met someone who is considered "famous"? Or perhaps you personally know a well-known personality? Who would it be?
With the exception of standing next to several major-league baseball players in the 1970s while getting autographs, I can't think of any famous people that I've been close to. How 'bout you?

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
Met them? Yes. Close to them? Well, I was, when I shook their hands. :)
My most accomplished friend is a Pulitzer Prize winning Broadway lyricist, but even he admits he isn't famous:frowning: :

Matthew_S

Second Unit
I've shook hands/talked briefly/been within 2 feet of the following:

Oliver Stone
Daniel Day-Lewis
Michelle Pfieffer
Jason Lee
Jared Leto

all i can think of for now (also, i've lived in California, that's where i saw most of these folks)

Jefe Noche

Stunt Coordinator
I used to be a golf pro so I've met a few:
played 18 with David Robinson (very nice man)
met Kevin Costner (jerk!)
met Jimmy Conners (pretty cool)
met Jack Nicholson (super cool) (It was during the filming of The Two Jakes)
Before I was a golfer, I was a very competitive junior tennis player. As a kid I played Agassi, Sampras and Micheal Chang.
My claim to fame is that I actually beat Pete Sampras 6-0, 6-0. Of course I was 11, and he was 10. :)
Their not really famous (unless you're a golfer), but I've also competed against Casey Martin, Scott McCarron, and Paul Stankowski.

MichaelAW

Second Unit
Let's see... I've played tennis with Jennifer Capriati (back when she was a 14 year old phenom), gotten a peck on the cheek from Milla Jovovich, and shaken hands with Bill Clinton.

Jarrod_L

Stunt Coordinator
I nearly plowed over country musician John Michael Montgomery in the hallway of a law office I used to work at in downtown Lexington KY....I was in a hurry to make the elevator. I just said "excuse me" and kept on moving...wasn't until later that I learned he was famous in some circles.

I met former Black Flag lead singer Henry Rollins in a Cincinnati record store in the summer of '99. It was three hours before I saw him in concert...and it wasn't a record signing or anything, he was just over there looking at CDs and records--just being your average Hot Animal Machine. He used the tried and true slogan "Right on!" after I gave him this mini-speech on how much I enjoyed his music.

After I did so, I had to get out of there because I had this vision of him turning and pummeling me into oblivion for interrupting him, but he was really cool, and my friend and I saw him a couple more times that afternoon going from shop to shop along that street. He smiled and nodded each time he saw us.

Nice guy.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
My brother and I met and had our picture taken with legendary Muppet master Jim Henson. He even did the voice of Kermit The Frog for me. He was a gentle spirit and a great man. He was wearing sunglasses, but he decided to take them off when my mom took the picture (this was at Disney World)...he took off his sunglasses so when people saw the picture, they would know that was him.

Sincerely,

John "I remember my mom said that she and my dad met Mitzi Gaynor in Vegas once" Kilduff

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
John,
That's awesome.
Steven Spielberg. Came to our college to receive an award for Schindler's List. Got to have lunch with him (and 20 other students). Sat right across from him. Asked him who laid the rose on Schindler's stone at the end. Heard some interesting SL stories. Good lunch :)
Take care,
Chuck

Bill_D

Supporting Actor
Met Sade at a restaurant in MAUI ten years
ago on my honeymoon. Very nice. Very small.

Ricky Lake: Saw/Met/Almost shot her an elbow
last week at Disney's Animal Kingdom after she,
her brood and entourage almost bowled over my
3 year old outside of the Lion King show.

A host of other athletes, intellectual perverts
and nuts during my 6 year tenure as academic slave
at Georgia Tech. Now, let's not leave any room for
speculation: I obtained two(2) degrees in 6 years.

Kenny Goldin

Second Unit
-Bill Cowher
-Franco Harris
-Mr. Rogers
-Mr. McFeeley
-Jack Hannah
(Can you tell I used to live in Western PA?);)

Shana

Stunt Coordinator
When I was 19, I worked at the D/FW Airport at Avis Rent-A-Car and came in contact with the following people:
Don Henley, he was returning his cadillac after Xmas and he had a problem with his bill (I couldn't believe he would quibble over the amount) and so I was left alone in the return area to talk to him. :D
Andre Aggasi, was returning a vehicle with his brother, and was already pretty bald 12 years ago but had a beautiful smile.
Steadman Graham, Oprah's beau (assuming he still is), handsome and nice man.
Chuck Norris, my manager actually refused to rent to him as our policy was that you have to have both your drivers license and credit card to rent, and he and his brother had just one of each.........I couldn't believe we turned him down, he went to Hertz and they rented to him, but he was goodhearted about it.
and numerous sports figures that I also got autographs from but couldn't remember their names now to save my life.
Saw Batman Adam West in Vegas and played craps with some hunky NFL player who was helping me win a nice wad of dough.
Have Sheryl Crow's guitar pick from being on the front row of the Lilith Fair concert (no, I am not a lesbian but sat next to one of the bands that played that day and they certainly were as were 90% of the people there, and pretty freaking open about it, NOT that there is anything wrong with that).

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
In high school (mid-70s) I worked in a movie theater in Shreveport, LA. One afternoon Terry Bradshaw and his then-wife (some ice skater whose name escapes me) came in. They weren't exactly rude, but it was obvious they thought very highly of themselves. :rolleyes
One of the perks of being Music Director at my college radio station in the late 70s was interviewing (or sitting in on interviews with) many of the musical acts that came to our school. Lousiana Tech is a mid-size school, so we got mainly mid-sized acts. Those I met include:
Sammy Hagar (pre Van Halen, obviously)
Head East (St. Louis based Styx wannabes)
England Dan & John Ford Coley (MOR act with several late 70s hits)
Harry Chapin (late, great "story song" king)
All of these (yes, even Hagar) were actually pretty nice folks. Chapin was the best - he was just an incredibly open and generous man. He spent half an hour talking to us after the show and this was time he really didn't have to give (he had to catch a plane back to Washington D.C. that night - this was when he was lobbying Congress on world hunger relief).
In 1983 I saw Mark Hamill in "Amadeus" on Broadway. I was one of several folks who he gave autographs to after the show. He was very friendly and took special care to talk to the kids who were there, which I thought was cool.

Marshall Alsup

Second Unit
I've met Marina Sirtis (sort of) at a ST convention.

I met most of the bands from the second stage at last years Ozzfest. Drowning pool was probably the biggest of the ones I actually talked to.

-Marshall

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
I met Pete Rose in Cooperstown and asked him if he "did it." I could tell he wasn't very pleased.

Shana

Stunt Coordinator
Forgot to mention, if any of you are into true crime books, Roy Hazelwood, retired profiler for the F-B-I (say it like Hannibal) teaches a class where I work once a year, very nice man who loves to come home to Texas to eat Whataburgers, apparently they aren't in the DC area, shame. Also, James Michaud I met last year who writes true crime books.

Brian Kissinger

Screenwriter
This one time I went to a lecture by Kurt Vonnegut Jr. and afterward, I got to shake his hand and ask him a few questions. Extremely nice and down to Earth guy. He talked to everyone that stayed.

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
I met and shook hands with Robin Williams on April 20th here in Seattle. I was gaming with some friends, and he came into the store looking for some games for his son. I walked up to him, and said "Thank you for making your movies", and shook his hand. He said "Thank you very much". Very nice guy. My wife and family were quite impressed :).
John.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks