What's new

The Eternal Angelriffic Thread (Merged) (1 Viewer)

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I read that Joss wanted him to be in it. I read nothing of him being cast.

Angel put David on the map but as we know from SMG's reluctance to come back as Buffy as a guest on Angel this may not be enough to guarantee his participation.

Joshua_W

Second Unit
Angel put David on the map but as we know from SMG's reluctance to come back as Buffy as a guest on Angel this may not be enough to guarantee his participation.
Actually, it appears that she was willing to make an appearance, but, due to prior commintments, she was unable to meet the schedule for the episode they wanted her to appear in. Apparently, she was willing to be in the one or both of the final two episodes, but Joss/ME didn't want her for those episodes.

Really, they could've had her make a brief appearance while Angel was preparing for the big battle. She could've said that she heard that he and Spike were running all over Europe looking for her, which would echo her appearance in "I Will Remember You." He could've introduced her to Conner, and it would've been a nice scene.

The official story was that they wanted Angel's finale to focus on the Angel cast, and not Buffy.

If I was a particularly cyncical type, I'd say it looks like one or both parties were playing games with each other.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I think they were trying to re-establish that ANGEL had grown apart from Buffy as a show that could stand on its own, and having Buffy show up during the 2 part finale would take a little away from the ANGEL storyline. Besides, it made a little sense for Angel & Spike to sort of come to terms with the fact that Buffy has clearly moved on... and she's not part of their lives anymore, which they did in 5.20 - The Girl In Question.

While they'd have to reintegrate multiple characters into the possible Buffy/Angel movie, it can't be too difficult to do. There are a handful of characters left...

Angel, Spike, Illyria/Fred, Gunn (assuming he survived somehow), Buffy, Dawn, Xander, Willow, Giles

While it might seem hard to do, Joss got 9 main characters to all fit into Serenity pretty easily. The only hard part would be getting all of the cast back at the same time, and I'm thinking in 5-8 years none of them are going to be doing much that they couldn't do a movie.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I just saw the deleted scene from Season 3's "Waiting in the Wings." That has to be the best scene EVER!!! Acker was beautiful as the ballerina and Denisof channeled the inner dork in us all.

Tim Beebe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim
Yeah. My girlfriend was really suprised when she found out he was old enough to be her dad. James Marsters, on the show at least, easily passes for mid-twenties.

Eddy-C

Supporting Actor
I thought he started showing his age this season, but it was probably the lighting(it was really crappy this season except for a few eps such as Soul Purpose and AHITW)

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
that was WB also. They said the show looked too dark, but the problem was that the darkness added to the visual style, and hid a lot of the problems with the sets. It made them look 10 times more expensive...

When they brightened it up, it made the show look cheaper, because everything LOOKED like a set...

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
After first realizing how old James really is (as opposed to how old Spike appears) I thought to myself, damn, they have actually employed a vamp....

LOL

Seriously, I suspect that even if they did hold off a few years before a reunion show, JM would be the least of our worries.

Now, does Illyria age? I know she lost most of her god powers, but isn't she still a god? Amy might have to be careful as well when cast for a reunion show. The rest of the cast, except David are human characters, or at least creatures that age.

My personal opinion, let it rest for a couple of years. We more or less know, or at least assume, Angel, Illyria, and Spike survive the battle/mob. Too much Buffy-verse could cause dilution of the mythos, much like Trek is suffering, and just whipping something out because you can could lead to Episode I badness.

Damn, as I type this I just came to the realization, I miss Wesley. I saw his death coming, unlike Tara's, but it has impacted me almost as much now, I think. What was Illyria's statement about her feelings of loss to Angel and Spike? I feel the need to use it as a quote....

Joe6pack99

Second Unit
Real Name
Jarett
I can't wait for season 4 on dvd...i need my Angel fix damn i miss this show! Its funny with Buffy I was glad it was over the show ran its course. With Angel it feels like we got cheated.

Joshua_W

Second Unit
The ages of the various actors doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me. It's just a matter of suspending disbelief.

In ten years, the primary cast will be:

Sarah Michelle Gellar (37)
Alyson Hannigan (40)
Nick Brendon (43)
Tony Head (60)
Eliza Dushku (34)
Michelle Trachtenberg (29)
James Marsters (52)
David Boreanaz (45)
Amy Acker (38)
Seth Green (40)
Charisma Carpenter (44)

Now, I realize that James Marsters and David Boreanaz play characters who don't age, but the rest of the cast will be getting up there, too. Nick will be the same age that Tony was when the series premiered! If they do make a movie in ten years, it would probably be jarring to see all of these people we watched grow up (and even then, most of them were playing characters much younger than themselves) suddenly in their middle ages.

Even if vampires don't age, is a 45 year-old David Boreanaz or 52 year-old James Marsters any more jarring than a 37 year-old Buffy or a 40 year-old Willow? (Oh, hell, Aly just keeps getting cuter the older she gets, so I shouldn't count her.)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I just finished Season 3 on DVD so I'm primed for S4 to come out. I'm actually more interested in getting S5 because S4 was so dark and I'm not exactly in the mood for that right now. I imagine it's only a temporary thing...After watching S3 I do miss the show a lot but am glad it went out on a high note.

Eddy-C

Supporting Actor
EZ STREETS, THE INVISIBLE MAN, DEADLINE, PARENTHOOD AND JOHNNY STACCATO JOIN 'BRILLIANT, BUT CANCELLED' NEW SEASON LINEUP IN SEPTEMBER

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/cgi/go...wswire&id=6672

PARENTHOOD (1990/NBC)
TRIO presents all thirteen episodes of this half-hour comedy series produced by Ron Howard and Joss Whedon (Buffy the Vampire Slayer). This complicated series based on the 1989 Steve Martin movie of the same name, took no less than six executive producers, including Ron Howard, to get it off the ground. It tackles the tricky subject of parenting and offers an honest look at complicated family life. With an all-star cast and a series of heavy hitting producers, this show looked like a surefire hit, but was met with weak ratings. NBC tried rescheduling the show in several time-slots, but it never took off and production was halted after one season. Cast: David Arquette, Ed Begley Jr. Leonardo DiCaprio, Thora Birch, Maryedith Burrell, Jayne Atkinson

IMDB has Joss down for the following:

co-writer (episode 1.12 "Fun for Kids")
writer (episode 1.04 "Plague, The") (episode 1.08 "Small Surprises")

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks