What's new

The Eternal Angelriffic Thread (Merged) (1 Viewer)

Jonathan Carter

Supporting Actor
I'm sorry, but it's impossible to buy that the cast of Smallville was 15-16 in season one. They can MAYBE pass for seniors in the first season... but going into season 4, they look like grad students. Lex is supposed to be older, so that works, but Clark does NOT look at all like 15-17.
Sorry but I have to disagree. I even started watching the season 1 dvds the other day. They all look so young to me, especially Chloe and Pete, but the rest of the cast also. As for the Buffy cast, you've got to be kidding me. Everyone looks like they belong in senior year of HS or freshman year of college in the 1st season. Hell, Cordy looks like she's 25 in the 1st season. Only Buffy and Oz look the right age to me.

As for the acting, I disagree as well but I guess it's just a matter of opinion. They act like their ages. Getting overly mopey or melodramatic or happy, etc... These are the ways teenagers act. I just got back from my younger brother HS graduation and it's like that exactly.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Well, I'm myself am 17... so I am able to disagree.

Being overly mopey and melodramatic IS not my problem with the show. It's poor acting. I probably should have used the actors names in my post to make that more clear.

The characters on Buffy moped all the time, and that was perfectly normal. But watch that flashback episode of Smallville, with Tom and Kristin playing duel roles... it's just so horribly done and corny.

Also, it wouldn't hurt that they look so old, but at least other shows try to keep their characters from doing too much. Buffy kept most of the characters out of cars, made them seem more like kids who had to walk places. I've forgotten how many cars Clark has had, or trashed. No wonder they have so many money problems.

How many kids Chloe's age can just hop into a car and drive what must be a 5 hour roundtrip into metropolis to visit a secret testing place on a school night?

There just don't seem to be boundaries. It's like giving Lana her own restaurant when she's a sophomore in high school...

Sometimes it's just too much to swallow.

I know exactly how teenagers act. The problem is that the characters on Smallville aren't mopey about having to fight evil (like on Buffy), or feeling insecure in high school. They are mopey because their fathers lost their jobs, they have to handle running their own coffee shops, are planning trips to Paris.

They don't DO much that teenagers do, at least not after the first season. They've taken on adult roles, and it just seems premature for the show. It's like they took what could have been a great transition into the college years, and crammed it into the beginning of the 2nd season.

Jonathan Carter

Supporting Actor
Actually, Metropolis is only about 45 min. away and Clark is hardly ever behind the wheel of a car. He ususally just runs everwhere. Now when you get into destruction of the farm, that's where the wheels come off and the Kent expenses get sky high.

By the way, you are an impressive debater and writer to be 17. Most 17 year olds on message boards aren't able to make 1 good point and get it across. You do so all the time. I was guessing you were like 30+. Not that I think all teenagers are idiots either, they just don't ever come across on message boards as anything but their age, sometimes younger.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Oh well, thank you.

I am at the top of my class...

Wait... no, no I'm not. :) Going to college though... ;)

To be fair, I haven't kept up with the show lately, because it became so little of a priority. I think my problem with the show is that it's got little rewatchability with me. Once would be enough per episode, whereas I can watch Buffy and Angel multiple times, and find something new and interesting each time.

I thought in the first year they'd made a comment about Metropolis being super far away, but if it's 45 minutes, it's not that unlikely she could have made it there and back.

But that really is all my problem. Shows like Buffy were great because the kids dealt with kids problems, and eventually had to deal with bills, jobs, extremely complex relationships, etc. It seemed like with Smallville they got restless and made them grow up way too early, but emotionally, they're all still 17. I don't know how in the world I'd balance school, running a restaurant, having a social life, and being attacked by a psycho monster every other week like Lana does...

For me, the show remains more like something I'd watch for just mindless entertainment, like this past year of ALIAS...

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Actually, IIRC, Metropolis is 3 hours away from Smallville. They made mention of this in one of the last 4 episodes of this season.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
Actually, IIRC, Metropolis is 3 hours away from Smallville. They made mention of this in one of the last 4 episodes of this season.
They mentioned this way back in the first season. It's why they're able to take so many field trips to the city. I have always wondered though. If Metropolis is only 3 hours away from Smallville, Kansas, how can it have a harbor? :)

Tim Beebe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim
Hey, this isn't a "you're going off the topic of the thread" post, but is there a thread for Smallville? I searched and I didn't see one.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I just watched that episode on dvd a couple of weeks ago and it's definitely among the best ones, IMO. Very stylish direction and good performances. I especially liked that they managed to keep Angel in the past believably detached from humanity since making him too compassionate would have been an easy trap to fall into.

He's also quite lucky that those hotel people didn't make that hanging rope too long. If they had, his head would have torn clean off when they threw him over the side of the staircase :)

Jon Torres

Second Unit
Just saw Chronicles of Riddick over the weekend and was surprised to see Alexa Davalos or Gwen Raiden from the 4th season. She was the pretty electricity girl.

Daryl Stovall

Second Unit
Probably because he knows that the ship (WB) is sinking. Ironically E.W. posted the final ratings and of all the shows on the WB, Angel was the only show who had a ratings gain while its' other shows declined. In fact Angel's ratings was up by 22% (an average four share).

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Angel was the only show who had a ratings gain while its' other shows declined. In fact Angel's ratings was up by 22% (an average four share).
Sadly that is not completely correct. It may be that the ‘overnight’ ratings are better, but not one episode of Angel hit a 4 in the ‘national’ ratings in its last season. I refer you to post #3523 in this thread, where I copied most of the last season’s national ratings—and in fact there was an overall decline in ratings for Angel since the start of the year.

The average ratings for season 5 showed an increase (less than 15%) over season 4, but no better than season 3 and worse than either of the first two seasons.

Check out post #3532 for details, but basically the numbers indicate that Angel would never have climbed back to the levels of the first two seasons. (And even here there was a steady drop over those first two years).

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
The increase have not been insanely large, but an increase is an increase. I can understand why the WB would want to get something that does better, but it's not like the network has any shows that are very highly rated.

"Are You Now Or Have You Ever Been" is one of the top 5 Angel episodes. Discuss.
I didn't like it all that much when I saw it for the first time, but now after watching it multiple times, it's one of my favorites. Very Barton Fink with it's style. It's one of the top Tim Minear episodes.

...speaking of Minear, what are your favorite episodes of his:

episode 1.06 "Sense and Sensitivity"
episode 1.09 "Hero"
episode 1.11 "Somnambulist"
episode 1.15 "Prodigal, The"
episode 1.19 "Sanctuary"
episode 2.02 "Are You Now or Have You Ever Been"
episode 2.07 "Darla"
episode 2.09 "Trial, The"
episode 2.10 "Reunion"
episode 2.15 "Reprise"
episode 2.16 "Epiphany"
episode 2.21 "Through the Looking Glass"
episode 3.03 "Old Gang of Mine, That"
episode 3.06 "Billy"
episode 3.09 "Lullaby"
episode 3.14 "Couplet"
episode 3.21 "Benediction"
episode 4.22 "Home"

Eddy-C

Supporting Actor
My favorite Tim Minear episode is probably Lullaby. The scene when Darla stakes herself and Holtz comes out of the burning caritas to see Angel with the baby in the rain is just so AMAZING.

And now you can get the music from that scene too.

http://www.cityofangel.com/behindThe...ws.php~content

The Angel score soundtrack has been greenlighted. 76 minutes of Angel orchestal music from seasons 1-5

Eddy-C

Supporting Actor
My favorite Tim Minear episode is probably Lullaby. The scene when Darla stakes herself and Holtz comes out of the burning caritas to see Angel with the baby in the rain is just so AMAZING.

And now you can get the music from that scene too.

http://www.cityofangel.com/behindThe...ws.php~content

The Angel score soundtrack has been greenlighted. 76 minutes of Angel orchestal music from seasons 1-5

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks