What's new

The Electric Horseman/Midnight Run...former Image Titles... (1 Viewer)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
The Electric Horseman was just re-released by Universal Studios on May 6. I'm assuming this is now an anamorphic widescreen release? I could find no reviews anywhere.

Also, Midnight Run is set for a June 3 release. I have the original Image title of that one too.

Anyone have these newer versions? Improved picture?

Thanks! :)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I don't think it was Robert. But my luck it was! Of course I sold my copy reading somewhere that a newer transfer was set for release. I still have MRun and will check it out to see if it's anamorphic.

James_Garner

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Garner
the new version of Electric Horseman may be anamorphic, but the Willie nelson music has been removed. no sale.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
the Willie nelson music has been removed.
I am not familiar with the movie and don't have time to watch the whole DVD. But a spot check shows that there is definitely a Willie Nelson song over the end credits on the Universal DVD. If someone wants to tell me where else there should be songs by him, I can check.

James_Garner

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Garner
the beginning credits should have "My Heroes Have always been Cowboys," the scene after Redford drunkenly falls off his horse should have "Mama Dont Let your babies grow up to be cowboys," & the scene where redford rides Rising Star on the vegas strip should have "Midnight Rider" as the background music. have i forgotten anything?

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
James, all the Willie Nelson songs you list--plus the end-credit tune that you didn't mention--are there except My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys during the opening credits. Instead, there's a harmonica-driven country-western instrumental (Dave Grusin's score, I'm guessing) during the opening credits.

The DVDLaser.com review of the Image DVD states:
Although the jacket cover claims that the presentation is the ‘Home Video version’ with ‘some music rescored,’ the opening Willie Nelson song, My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys, which was replaced by an instrumental on the LD, has been restored on the DVD.
So there's obviously a history to the use of this song on the home-video version of the movie, probably stemming from legal rights to its use. Either Image erred and used a version of the movie it wasn't supposed to on its DVD(now "corrected" by Universal to avoid legal problems), or Universal erred and used the rescored version when it could have used the original (based on Image's use of it).

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I can't believe that about Willie's song. That opening # was terrific. Guess I need to find this OOP dvd again. Dangit! :frowning:

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Regarding Midnight Run, the Universal DVD will have a new anamorphic transfer, according to a recent news item on dvdfile.com.

As for the music on Electric Horseman: I have the Region 2 DVD that Universal released over a year ago in Europe. It has a new transfer with the new Universal logo at the beginning so I guess it's identical to the R1.
The disc does indeed feature the instrumental music during the opening credits, but guess what I heard when I flipped over to the German language track? Exactly! The Willie Nelson song in all its glory.

Chris

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
Okay, this makes zero sense to me. "My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys" was specifically recorded for the movie. In fact, the song was actually produced by director Sydney Pollack! Why the f**k would it ever be removed? It's an integral part of the opening credits!

That's ridiculous.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Why the f**k would it ever be removed? It's an integral part of the opening credits!
Lawyers!
Willie Nelson's, too dumb to be human lawyer.
WN tax lawyer sold all of WN music!
To raise money too payoff the IRS.
The dummy didn't know that WN catalog will make much, much, more than it ever sold for. :angry:
So, now Willie doesn't own his own songs (except the ones his written since, of coarse).
Bet the person/persons that do own the songs, are trying to recoup some of the cash, from the outlay of the sale.
And Universal said, NO!

Or, someone got lazy and used the previous LD soundtrack! :b

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
"My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys" was specifically recorded for the movie.
Well, that's true, but the song wasn't written for the movie. Willie Nelson and Waylon Jennings recorded it at least three years before The Electric Horseman came out.

I have an inquiry in to Universal. We'll see if they give a sensible response.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
I have an inquiry in to Universal. We'll see if they give a sensible response.
Thank you so much; please report your findings.

And to think I almost bought this disc yesterday. I'm so glad this thread came up! By the way, a few weeks ago the movie played on Turner Classic Movies with the music score completely intact. It was in the correct 2.35:1 aspect ratio as well. Dang...I should've taped it!

Unless this was an honest mistake, this should not have happened. If they can't keep the complete original soundtrack, they should simply hold off on releasing the disc until they've got the rights. There's simply no excuse for them doing this knowingly. Let's face it. This isn't a case where they replace a song that's being played in a crowded bar scene where you can barely tell over the noise what the song is anyway. This song is specifically tailored to the opening credits. For instance, the musical interlude between verses where you hear muted trumpets as you see Redford's busted-up (and casted) arm picking up his latest rodeo medal.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I guess I should be happy I didn't dump the Image disk in anticipation for the Universal. The Image transfer is pretty darn bad though. Ironically I got snookered into buying the the Image DVD because it said "anamorphic" on the back -- I didn't read the fine print -- they were talking about the movie, not the DVD...

I guess the optimal way to watch the film would be to start with Image disk and then switch to Universal after the credits -- OK, I don't think I'm that crazy :)

Ted

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks