What's new

Blu-ray Review The Egyptian Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Marius W said:
I case anyone is interested...
The Egyptian is being released in Scandinavia in November by SoulMedia as a DVD Blu-ray combo edition.
The funny thing is that this is a budget release here in Norway, priced at approx $14 plus local sales tax (25%).
021d3acf_egyptian-dvdbd.jpeg
Marius, thank you for that information. Too late to save me money but helpful for others I'm sure. Please let us know if any other movies come out on Blu-ray in Norway. Collectors like me are always on the look-out for new sources of supply - especially at reasonable prices!

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Robin9 said:
Marius, thank you for that information. Too late to save me money but helpful for others I'm sure. Please let us know if any other movies come out on Blu-ray in Norway. Collectors like me are always on the look-out for new sources of supply - especially at reasonable prices!
SoulMedia are also releasing DAVID AND BATHSHEBA and also have John Wayne's THE CONQUEROR amongst others. But who knows what these will be like?

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
SoulMedia are also releasing DAVID AND BATHSHEBA and also have John Wayne's THE CONQUEROR amongst others. But who knows what these will be like?
Wow! Doug, do you have a link to the info on DAVID AND BATHSHEBA? I found their website but this release wasn't mentioned. I'm really hopeful that they will release some of the other Fox gems I've been dreaming of in BD form. If you're listening, SoulMedia, please give us DEMETRIUS AND THE GLADIATORS, BOY ON A DOLPHIN, SODOM AND GOMORRAH, THE STORY OF RUTH and BENEATH THE 12 MILE REEF. I wonder why there is no ordering protocol on their website. Is it possible that they won't ship outside Scandinavia? If not, how, indeed, can one spirit these away through shady channels? It seems that our beloved Fox has sold Twilight Time down the river. Not sure that I like that as the TT people are nice folks just trying to get rare product to fans. I don't regret my two EGYPTIAN BD purchases even with this news.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Ed Lachmann said:
It seems that our beloved Fox has sold Twilight Time down the river. Not sure that I like that as the TT people are nice folks just trying to get rare product to fans. I don't regret my two EGYPTIAN BD purchases even with this news.
Depends on if this R2 release will be region locked or not. If it's is, there will not likely be much sales lost.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
JoHud said:
Depends on if this R2 release will be region locked or not. If it's is, there will not likely be much sales lost.
Still, my trusty OPPO 83 can crack just about anything. Best investment I've ever made, aside from THE EGYPTIAN from Twilight TIme. The studios are to blame for all this insanity! Occupy Wall Street! I say occupy the greedy selfish bastard studios and force them at swords point to release the classic films we demand!

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Ed Lachmann /t/313127/the-egyptian-blu-ray-review/90#post_3863104
It seems that our beloved Fox has sold Twilight Time down the river. Not sure that I like that as the TT people are nice folks just trying to get rare product to fans. I don't regret my two EGYPTIAN BD purchases even with this news.
I don't think we can read that into this. Twilight Time is pretty small and its possible that they have their hands full prepping the Columbia releases that we know are coming. I know they have a lot more Blu-ray being planned, I just don't know what the titles are yet.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Ed Lachmann said:
Wow! Doug, do you have a link to the info on DAVID AND BATHSHEBA? I found their website but this release wasn't mentioned. I'm really hopeful that they will release some of the other Fox gems I've been dreaming of in BD form. If you're listening, SoulMedia, please give us DEMETRIUS AND THE GLADIATORS, BOY ON A DOLPHIN, SODOM AND GOMORRAH, THE STORY OF RUTH and BENEATH THE 12 MILE REEF. I wonder why there is no ordering protocol on their website. Is it possible that they won't ship outside Scandinavia? If not, how, indeed, can one spirit these away through shady channels? It seems that our beloved Fox has sold Twilight Time down the river. Not sure that I like that as the TT people are nice folks just trying to get rare product to fans. I don't regret my two EGYPTIAN BD purchases even with this news.
DAVID AND BATHSHEBA supplier link: http://www.discshop.se/filmer/bluray/david_and_bathsheba_blu_ray_dvd/P95251
I can't work out whether they ship internationally but this is one which I really want.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
They appear to ship to all European countries (Storbritannien for UK), but that's it. Postage seems to be a little steep for one disc, but - I think - is better for multiple items. BTW, if SoulMedia can knock 'em out for this price in the much smaller European market, you *do* have to question TT's pricing...
Few more titles:
Man of The East
The Barbarian and the Geisha
The Conquerer
Against All Flags

ShowsOn

Second Unit
Real Name
Simon Howson
Very tempted by The Barbarian & the Geisha. It has some extremely beautiful cinematography by the hopelessly under rated cinematographer Charles G. Clarke (who shot most of Love is a Many Splendored Thing, even though the cinematography credit went to Leon Shamroy).

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Adam Gregorich said:
I don't think we can read that into this.  Twilight Time is pretty small and its possible that they have their hands full prepping the Columbia releases that we know are coming.  I know they have a lot more Blu-ray being planned, I just don't know what the titles are yet. 

It looks like the next Twilight Time Fox Blu-ray is, The Roots Of Heaven (1958) on Jan. 17th. The Scandinavia Egyptian BD release proves that some of these titles will be released outside the US, & a lot cheaper (& better cover).
EDIT. Oops, that's wrong. I didn't know Rapture was 20th Century Fox.

jaaguir

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Javier Aguirre
Ed Lachmann said:
Adam Gregorich said:
I don't think we can read that into this.  Twilight Time is pretty small and its possible that they have their hands full prepping the Columbia releases that we know are coming.  I know they have a lot more Blu-ray being planned, I just don't know what the titles are yet. 

They are supposed to release "Rapture" on December before that (unless they've changed schedule lately). So the Fox deal seems to go on well.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Douglas R said:
DAVID AND BATHSHEBA supplier link: http://www.discshop.se/filmer/bluray/david_and_bathsheba_blu_ray_dvd/P95251
I can't work out whether they ship internationally but this is one which I really want.
I sent Disc Shop an email about this and received the following reply:
QUOTE:
Dear Robin
Thank you for your e-mail!
Select the produkt you´re interested in.
After that you click on the “köp” button (buy) and the selected item will then be placed in the basket.
And when you´re done you press “till kassan” (Checkout)
Förnamn = First name
Efternamn = Sir name
Gatuadress = Adress
Postnummer & ort = Postal number and place
Land = Country
Epost =email
Then press (till steg 2)
A black popup will appear, press “fortsätt ändå”
You are now at the payment slection and creditcard is the only way to pay when ordering abroad. Press “genomför köp” and fill in the creditcard-information.
Kortnummer = cardnumber
Kortinnehavarens namn= owner of card
Giltighetsdatum = validation date
And fill in the CVC number from the back of the card and press “Betala” Pay.
Shipping is 100 SEK for 1-5 items and 500 SEK for 6 items and more
Best regards
Dennis
UNQUOTE
So, it's now a matter of working out the exchange rates.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Robin9 said:
I sent Disc Shop an email about this and received the following reply:
QUOTE:
Dear Robin
Thank you for your e-mail!
Select the produkt you´re interested in.
After that you click on the “köp” button (buy) and the selected item will then be placed in the basket.
And when you´re done you press “till kassan” (Checkout)
Förnamn = First name
Efternamn = Sir name
Gatuadress = Adress
Postnummer & ort = Postal number and place
Land = Country
Epost =email
Then press (till steg 2)
A black popup will appear, press “fortsätt ändå”
You are now at the payment slection and creditcard is the only way to pay when ordering abroad. Press “genomför köp” and fill in the creditcard-information.
Kortnummer = cardnumber
Kortinnehavarens namn= owner of card
Giltighetsdatum = validation date
And fill in the CVC number from the back of the card and press “Betala” Pay.
Shipping is 100 SEK for 1-5 items and 500 SEK for 6 items and more
Best regards
Dennis
UNQUOTE
So, it's now a matter of working out the exchange rates.
Thanks for that Robin. I've copied and pasted your post for future reference!

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Ed Lachmann said:
I expect Twilight Zone knew that this might happen. After all, video discs are sold on a territory basis for sale in specific countries - they are not intended for world wide sale. THE EGYPTIAN has the standard Fox statement "For distribution only in the United States, its possessions and Canada". Also, the Swedish version is unlikely to have the audio commentary and may not have the isolated music track.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
I've been really frustrated and perhaps someone can help me out. I've been trying to order these Cinema Classic blu-rays from Discshop in Sweden but they will not ship to the United States. You get to the "Land" (Country) button and there is no USA, so the order will not go through. I emailed them and they replied that they do not ship to the US. Has anyone here in America tried to order from them or any other outlet that carries SoulMedia product and been successful? I've even tried the Swedish Ebay, but they do not have any of these titles (I used both the English and Swedish titles). I had no trouble getting, for example, the TARAS BULBA from Australia at all. What's up with Sweden? Fox would be rotten bastards indeed if they would not let them ship here. Titles like NORTH TO ALASKA, DAVID AND BATHSHEBA, THE BARBARIAN AND THE GEISHA or THE CONQUEROR will certainly never see the the light of day as American blu-rays. Why do they make things so dreadful for classic film collectors?

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Douglas R said:
I expect Twilight Zone knew that this might happen. After all, video discs are sold on a territory basis for sale in specific countries - they are not intended for world wide sale. THE EGYPTIAN has the standard Fox statement "For distribution only in the United States, its possessions and Canada". Also, the Swedish version is unlikely to have the audio commentary and may not have the isolated music track.
Exactly right. Fox has licensed individual titles to Twilight Time for North America. U.S.Fox Home Video has no control over what other regions opt to release.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
One question about this, then. Why is it that when MGM licenses something like TARAS BULBA to Australia, it is no problem for an American to order a copy from an outlet in Australia. I will be ordering the French release of EXODUS and the British release of CLEOPATRA when they are available, and don't foresee any problem in obtaining them. There must be some way around this. It will be a cold day in hell when the buggers at Fox will ever give us blu-rays of these classic films they licensed to Sweden. Anybody find a nice Swedish DVD outlet who will ship to the USA? Anybody from Sweden reading this thread? We need an Ebay store where Americans can buy the American movies we grew up with as kids. I really HATE Fox!

jaaguir

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Javier Aguirre
Ed Lachmann said:
One question about this, then. Why is it that when MGM licenses something like TARAS BULBA to Australia, it is no problem for an American to order a copy from an outlet in Australia. I will be ordering the French release of EXODUS and the British release of CLEOPATRA when they are available, and don't foresee any problem in obtaining them. There must be some way around this. It will be a cold day in hell when the buggers at Fox will ever give us blu-rays of these classic films they licensed to Sweden. Anybody find a nice Swedish DVD outlet who will ship to the USA? Anybody from Sweden reading this thread? We need an Ebay store where Americans can buy the American movies we grew up with as kids. I really HATE Fox!
They answered your email saying they don't ship to the US? That's weird indeed. Didn't someone mention a shipping cost of $15 to the US, here in a previous post?
You could wait, maybe these movies will be released by Twilight Time in the US (you could try asking in their FB). Or you could wait until they pop up in eBay. Or you could have them shipped to some friend in Europe, and they would ship them to you. I wouldn't mind doing it but I don't think you'll take nicely to the added shipping costs. I've sent registered packages to the US before, and it's up to 12 or 15.5 Euros, depending on weight (and it could be more than that if it weighs more than 1 kg). Then it could get taxed by your US customs, I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks