What's new

Blu-ray Review The Egyptian Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
THE EGYPTIAN is one of my all time favorite films. I own 2 copies of the Blu Ray, the TT and the French version. Even with this, I truly wish it would be made available streaming !

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
The Egyptian does have a strange appeal for some of us. It's lavish, magnificent, and at the same time rather gloomy. And the main characters are at times difficult to take. It's a movie about mistakes, and yet that's part of its appeal too. The music is an integral part of the mood of this movie.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The Egyptian does have a strange appeal for some of us. It's lavish, magnificent, and at the same time rather gloomy. And the main characters are at times difficult to take. It's a movie about mistakes, and yet that's part of its appeal too. The music is an integral part of the mood of this movie.
I agree with all you wrote, particularly about having trouble with the main characters. Sinue (sp) was the worst. My god, he gave the woman everything and got nothing in return. I remember being young and passionate, but I would have seen her pretty quick.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Possible, but it's been out of TT ownership since probably late 2014 without much interest unless TT contracts on this movie was outside their typical 3 year exclusive period

john a hunter

Screenwriter
The TT does have a commentary which is not great.
From memory they refer to Peter Ustinovs' earlier role in The Robe.!!!!!

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I think the commentary that's included is okay.

4k is probably wasted on this title because it's in CinemaScope. If it were in VistaVision.....

The Egyptian doesn't seem to be available for rental streaming at amazon, which is strange. But now that it's owned by Disney perhaps they'll make use of it on one of their streaming platforms? I wish Disney+ would have a sub-channel of "Fox Classics" just as they have channels for Star Wars, Marvel, etc. They could put lots of the rated G and rated PG movies from Fox from the late 30s up until the 2000s on it, which would really enhance the value of Disney+.

Speaking of value, the long out of print blu-ray of The Egyptian is apparently worth a premium price these days. But I don't want to sell mine....
Screen Shot 2020-05-01 at 6.08.52 PM.png

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Isn't Kino releasing some films like this that were once with Twilight Time?
Yes, Kino has released several titles that previously were with Twilight Time. There have also been European releases of some of Twilight Time titles.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
I agree with all you wrote, particularly about having trouble with the main characters. Sinue (sp) was the worst. My god, he gave the woman everything and got nothing in return. I remember being young and passionate, but I would have seen her pretty quick.
I know it's just a movie. But, how can a man be so gullible and ignorant ?

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
I think the commentary that's included is actually good.

4k is probably wasted on this title because it's CinemaScope. If it were VistaVision.....

The Egyptian doesn't seem to be available for rental streaming at amazon, which is strange. But now that it's owned by Disney perhaps they'll make use of it on one of their streaming platforms? I wish Disney+ would have a sub-channel of "Fox Classics" just as they have channels for Star Wars, Marvel, etc. They could put lots of the rated G and rated PG movies from Fox from the late 30s up until the 2000s on it, which would really enhance the value of Disney+.

Speaking of value, the long out of print blu-ray of The Egyptian is apparently worth a premium price these days. But I don't want to sell mine.... View attachment 72037
[/QUTOTE]
Those are Crazy prices ! Glad I got my copy on Ebay a few years ago for $50.00 in Mint condition ! :D I wonder why it was Never reissued ??

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I know it's just a movie. But, how can a man be so gullible and ignorant ?

Yeah, he gives her everything, & doesn't even get to put his hand up her jumper! And there's the ever lovely Jean Simmonds there (but at least he gets up to a bit of off-screen how's-your-father with the lovely Jean (I fell in love with her when I was 11, watching Spartacus).

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I think the commentary that's included is actually good.

4k is probably wasted on this title because it's CinemaScope. If it were VistaVision.....

Speaking of value, the long out of print blu-ray of The Egyptian is apparently worth a premium price these days. But I don't want to sell mine.... View attachment 72037

Yeah, I don't think anyone is that stupid to pay that price. Most recently sold for $75 on eBay.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
It's available in France and other parts of Europe, but I don't know if it's region locked.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
There are several poor versions released, but even more bizarre lack of information and contradictory information from various old post.

French -- 2.0 Audio, Forced French subs, B locked. Not a very good transfer and at least one report that it was done from a PAL master and runs 5 minutes short. DVD Compare lists it as running 134 minutes vs TT 139+

Scandanavian -- appears B Locked, listed that it's 139 min, Soul Media which doens't have the best reputation though like almost every release there seems to be one poster who'll say it's done from teh old ratty 2005 transfer and other who say it compares favorably to the TT

2018 Japanese -- a post from a member here says it's great (post 169), Again lots of confusion as other reports had it as a MPEG2 1080i which is only the rear cover. A bit under $50 shipped right now

Brazil -- very few reports of this one and I think it's OOP anyway. The only mention I can find suggest it was poorly transferred and had quite a few audio issue

1 Spanish - Llamentol which almost certainly is a bootleg

Last edited:

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Yes, Kino has released several titles that previously were with Twilight Time. There have also been European releases of some of Twilight Time titles.

What films has Kino released that were or will be that were on Twilight Time on Blu ?
I wonder who has the rights now for BRs of "Pal Joey", "Picnic", and "Bell, Book, And Candle" those are Columbia's catalog.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
What films has Kino released that were or will be that were on Twilight Time on Blu ?
I wonder who has the rights now for BRs of "Pal Joey", "Picnic", and "Bell, Book, And Candle" those are Columbia's catalog.

Off the top of my head, Judgment at Nuremberg. Not sure if there are others.

Bell, Book and Candle was re-released by Sony as a MOD Blu-ray earlier this year.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Off the top of my head, Judgment at Nuremberg. Not sure if there are others.

Bell, Book and Candle was re-released by Sony as a MOD Blu-ray earlier this year.

Thanks Andrew had no clue about "Bell, Book, and Candle" love Kim And Jimmy their reunion after "Vertigo" ! Do you know if it's still available ?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks