What's new

THE EGYPTIAN Blu Ray on DVD July 12 from Twilight!!!!! (2 Viewers)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by ShowsOn

MOD DVDs for $15 each would be better, they can then just press more if a title turns out to be popular. I have been told that they have licensed 100 titles "as is" without first finding out what sort of transfers Fox has. Many of them that I have asked about are widescreen but only 4:3.

I still don't understand how Criterion can make Eclipse titles for $15 effectively each from new transfers, but other companies can't do the same. OK, I appreciate that Eclipse films are rarely early Eastmancolor which are prone to fading.

I did not purchase Violent Saturday because it was not anamorphic and will not on any title that is not OAR and anamorphic when required. I would say that Eclipse and Eureka (UK) did not limit themselves to a 3000 run limit. If Twilight Time is trying to make a profit on just 3000 discs made, I would assume the price would be higher. Why they limit themselves to that number I do not know, but it appears to be the same business plan that SAE uses for soundtrack CD releases that has been successful.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
ahollis said:
Why they limit themselves to that number I do not know...
Because it justifies the higher price in the mind of the consumer (and giving them the benefit of the doubt, on their financial end as well) and it creates a "I gotta get it now before it sells out!" mentality in the mind of the consumer. The mentality helps them sell most, if not all, of the copies right out of the gate rather than potentially selling the same amount over a long period of time. You don't see anyone in this thread saying "Eh, I'll wait until it's on sale for $10". :)

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm still in the camp opposed to MoD schemes; not least because they are hellishly expensive to import. If this high-price/limited edition model is adopted by the studios for catalogue BDs, I may jump from a tall building.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Originally Posted by Powell&Pressburger

I can't justify a blind-buy without reading a review or two first, not at that cost. Money's tight right now. So I guess I'm taking a big risk waiting. I definitely want this, though...
My mini-review: I havent seen this in many years. I remember it being entertaining, but it's not $40 entertaining. IMHO.

ShowsOn

Second Unit
Real Name
Simon Howson
I would love Beneath the 12-Mile Reef on Blu-ray. The best aspects of the film are the beautiful early CinemaScope cinematography and the rousing Bernard Herrmann score. The story itself is basically romeo and juliet, but it would be fantastic to see it in HD.

Sadly, I doubt it will happen for a long time.

ShowsOn

Second Unit
Real Name
Simon Howson
Originally Posted by John Hodson

Eureka in the UK license titles from (amongst other folks) Fox; even for a parsimonious so and so like me, I'd say their BD prices range from the very reasonable to downright steals. And that's in a market a fraction the size of the US.
It wouldn't surprise me if Masters of Cinema releases The Egyptian on Blu-ray once the Twilight Time version is sold out. And I suspect ti will be half the price.

ShowsOn

Second Unit
Real Name
Simon Howson
Originally Posted by ahollis

I did not purchase Violent Saturday because it was not anamorphic and will not on any title that is not OAR and anamorphic when required. I would say that Eclipse and Eureka (UK) did not limit themselves to a 3000 run limit. If Twilight Time is trying to make a profit on just 3000 discs made, I would assume the price would be higher. Why they limit themselves to that number I do not know, but it appears to be the same business plan that SAE uses for soundtrack CD releases that has been successful.
Look for the Australian version of Violent Saturday. It isn't anamorphic, but I bought my copy for $10.

ShowsOn

Second Unit
Real Name
Simon Howson
Originally Posted by John Hodson

I'm still in the camp opposed to MoD schemes; not least because they are hellishly expensive to import. If this high-price/limited edition model is adopted by the studios for catalogue BDs, I may jump from a tall building.

Get used to it. Of course the big media companies will release their famous titles on Blu-ray. But many other titles will only be released by these boutique labels at high prices.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
How do we know this is not a BD-R?
(I haven't seen any text that clearly states this standard, pressed BD, and not a burned one.)

I already ordered, but will be annoyed if it is a burned format.

ShowsOn

Second Unit
Real Name
Simon Howson
Making an order of 3000 pressed Blu-rays is probably cheaper than buying 3000 blanks and paying to have them burnt.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Mark Walker

How do we know this is not a BD-R?
(I haven't seen any text that clearly states this standard, pressed BD, and not a burned one.)

I already ordered, but will be annoyed if it is a burned format.

I trust that it is not a burned BD-R in that their four other releases in DVD were pressed and their announcement for this private label clearly stated that all their releases would be pressed.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Originally Posted by ShowsOn

Get used to it. Of course the big media companies will release their famous titles on Blu-ray. But many other titles will only be released by these boutique labels at high prices.

Well, I'm used to that; and I'm all in favour of boutique labels, especially the one who try that little bit harder - where would we be without the BFI, Eureka, Criterion and the like? It's the business model I'm concerned about; the limited edition element has not only seemingly cranked the price up (and there's no comparison with Criterion; the SRP of some of their discs might be $39.95, but since when did anyone pay SRP?) but is leading to scalping - I've read on other fora of folks snapping up more than one copy, one for them, one for profit down the line.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
According to Twilight Time's Facebook page, the DVDs and the Blu-rays are not burned discs:

"Just to answer a question that has been asked recently (particularly owing to speculation on some message boards): all of Twilight Time's DVDs are properly pressed discs, and are not, in any way, shape or form, "burned" DVD-Rs--this of course includes our Blu-rays--additionally, all of Twilight Time's titles are strictly limited editions of 3,000 units apiece. They will not be repressed once the run is sold out. """

I wonder if this is the message board in question.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by RichMurphy

I suspect the less cynical answer is that they are constrained by the arrangements they make with the various creative unions. "We created a deal with the American Federation of Musicians for a limited-edition market where we would address the 3,000 to 5,000 people in the world who care about soundtracks," said Twilight Time's Nick Redman, in an interview with the Los Angeles Times about his series of Fox soundtrack CDs from several years ago. I would imagine that project was used as a model for the Twilight Time series of DVDs and Blu-Rays.

I think that is exactly what I said in my post when I poised the question.

"Why they limit themselves to that number I do not know, but it appears to be the same business plan that SAE uses for soundtrack CD releases that has been successful." - Post #44

I would appreciate it if you would use the full quote.

Thank you.

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
ahollis, my apologies. I was addressing my remarks to post #42, which also truncated your original quote (from #41, not #44). No offense intended. In fact, my point was to back up your assertion, rather than assume that the limited run is just a marketing move by Twilight Time.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
RichMurphy said:
ahollis, my apologies. I was addressing my remarks to post #42, which also truncated your original quote (from #41, not #44). No offense intended. In fact, my point was to back up your assertion, rather than assume that the limited run is just a marketing move by Twilight Time.
Not a problem, sometimes if misread what someone else is trying to say and act before I think.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I got it this morning and am pleased with what I have seen by skipping around. The transfer looks sharp with good balance of colors. Sound is strong and as advertised has isolated music score, audio commentary, and a very poor trailer transfer and even cover says not HD for the trailer.

They also include trailers for FLIM FLAM MAN and MY COUSIN RACHEL.

I look forward to other thoughts on the transfer.

Another laserdisc gets retired.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks