What's new

The Dukes of Hazzard movie seems to be looming closer... (1 Viewer)

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor
Chandrasekhar: Well, we had an original script that was really a little soft, and Warner Brothers wanted the movie to feel like "Super Troopers," so I said that we'd have to bring those guys in it to rewrite it then. So we came in and rewrote every line of dialogue, uncredited, but as we were going, the guys were like "Hey, are we going to get a part in this damn thing or what?" I said "maybe" because I didn't want to force anything, and hopefully, we were able to find a part for everybody.
Well, just because Jay directed it (and he has some of the guys aboard), I wouldn't call it a Broken Lizard movie. They didn't write the thing, for example.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

They wanted to emulate a film that grossed $18 million? Well, that explains a lot.

If "Dukes" matches the grosses of "Club Dread," I'll be happy. :)

Brian_Pete

Stunt Coordinator
Gross isn't always a measure of quality.

I think Super Troopers is quite funny regardless of how much it made.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Super Troopers is a funny movie, but I don't know if I'd use that as a model for "The Dukes Of Hazard". It is a pretty specific formula, and really only worked if you followed it.

I stand by my comments. While they may have rewritten dialog, it still stars other actors and doesn't have "Broken Lizard" above the title. It is like saying "Time Bandits" is a Monty Python film because Terry Gilliam directed it and it has members of Monty Python in it.

Jason

Brad M

Second Unit
I just wanted to jump in and say that the trailer already goes against the Dukes tv show. Boss Hogg (Reynolds) offers anyone $100 to knock some guy out (in the jail). I've never known Boss Hogg to give up a single penny without being forced to. Just my observation.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
All of this is irrelavant to me, good, bad whatever, did you guy's SEE Jessica Simpson in the trailer and the music video wearing that little red bikini!? :eek:

I also think the movie looks like fun, I was always a fan of them Duke boys. I mean Starsky & Hutch was funny IMO, so you never know until you see it.

But Jessica, my goodness...

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I will admit that the new trailer that I saw for the first time tonight makes the film look much better (i.e. funnier) than the first trailer.

But it's still not good enough to get me to the theater.

But Daisy Duke was not a bleached-blonde bimbo. Just one of many casting issues I have with this film. :frowning:

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

My thoughts exactly! She is smokin', but she's not Daisy Duke! Then again, nobody cast in this movie even comes close to the original. They tried to update all of the characters, yet they still drive a 1970? Dodge Charger. The whole setup makes no sense.

From what I've heard, they don't add the confederate flag to the vehicle without some hillybilly mechanic doing it, and what the hell are Bo & Luke doing at a college?

You would have a hard time dragging me to this flick, but I'll watch the trailer a few time to see Jessica, and try to pretend that she's not pretending to be Daisy Duke.:D

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Simpson adds no additional incentive for this movie. She's never really done much for me.

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter
They tried to update all of the characters, yet they still drive a 1970? Dodge Charger. The whole setup makes no sense.
Cause the Charger is the one thing most people remember about the show.

It would be like making a Punisher movie without his skull on this che . . . . wait they did that didnt they?

The movie looks like fun and I'm sure it will do well.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
Bo and Luke were not stupid and lived in the real world in the TV show. From the trailers Bo and Luke act like they are Jethro Bodine, Harry, and Lloyd all in one and have never even heard of college.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

I wasn't implying that they should change the car, but why make the characters all look like they stepped off of the set of Friends? To me, this has a Brady Bunch effect where they're walking around in the 90s still wearing 70s clothes. Now, they're wearing new clothes, but still driving around in the same 70s car.

If they're really trying pay homage to these old shows, then do it right. In my opinion, all of these TV show remakes are more an insult to the original than an homage. Charlie's Angels, Starsky & Hutch, Bewitched, etc..... I'll avoid them all!:angry:

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
The most ridiculous thing I've read about this film is the premise of the plot. Apparently:

Bo and Luke try to stop Boss Hog from a strip mining project in Hazard County.

Yeah, sure sounds like something that would really upset two home-cooked southern boys that drive a car with a confederate flag on it.

:rolleyes

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
The most ridiculous thing I've read about this film is the premise of the plot.
How is this in any way out of character considering the TV show?

Somehow, and I don't know how this happened, but I became the champion of common (some would even say low-brow) film around here. What the heck? :)

Edit:
Boss Hog has a crooked scheme to make him a great deal of wealth at the expense of everyone in Hazzard County and Bo and Luke try and stop him. How is this not the plot of nearly every single episode? It's not like Boss Hog is trying to introduce WMD's to kill everyone in Hazzard or something.
V V V V V V V V V

Kain_C

Screenwriter
Jessica BIEL would have made a much better Daisy. Better hips for the famous shorts plus she's an all around better (and hotter, to me) actress. AND she's brunette!

I was a little let down that she was in the running for casting but was beat out by Simpson. Whatever rakes in the cash better!

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
According to a thread over at OscarWatch, Roger Ebert gave Dukes 1 star. Yikes! It'll be fun to read the review later today or tomorrow morning.

In case anyone is wondering, Roger's reviews get sent out by the syndicate sometime during the week and a guy who has access to them puts them out over at Oscarwatch in the BoxOffice thread for the weekend.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

Yes, I think everything should be faithful to the source material. Does that mean that things can't be cut, re-arranged, or re-written in order to translate to the film medium - NO! This movie doesn't fall under any of these categories though. As I've already stated, this movie falls in line with a parody a lot more than it does an homage. This has been a problem with all of the TV show re-makes in my book. If Hollywood wants to make a movie that resembles these classic shows, then more power to them, but give them a new name, and say "Inspired By".

Nobody with a straight face, can watch "Charlie's Angels", and make more than a glancing connection with the original shows. As I recall, the girls in the TV show didn't have super powers. As for Starsky & Hutch, I don't recall the main characters being made fun of.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not some huge fanboy of any of these shows, and can't remember the last time that I watched most of them, but that doesn't give Hollywood the right to make fun of them, and not expect some people to be angry about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks