What's new

AMC Theatres Unveils Movie Ticket Prices Based on Seat Locations (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
But if this spreads to other chains, I could see them redesigning their auditoriums to put the accessible seating in less desirable areas of the theater that wouldn't be subject to the upcharge anyway.

My ANC already did this long before this plan, which is why I don't go there anymore. I go to Cinemark specifically because the accessible seating is in the middle of the auditorium. I don't know what I would do if Cinemark remodeled in the same way. I can withhold my dollars from AMC and still go to the movies because Cinemark is an alternative. If there is no alternative, that would really suck for me. I would probably go less.

People with money act with privilege and now the theater is encouraging that, just as Ticketmaster and the airlines do, and the rest of us get fleeced in the process.

I am no fan or defender of Ticketmaster and do not wish to defend them. But you do get a significantly different experience in a live show depending on where you sit and how close you are to the onstage action. The problem with treating a movie as though it is a live event is that they are not equivalent. This plan trying to make them equivalent is deeply flawed.

In this age of shrinking theatrical windows, crap like this will just convince more people to stay home and wait for streaming.

Last edited:

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
View attachment 174999

Interesting that two of the wheelchair-accessible spaces are right next to each other, but the one on the left gets to pay $2 less than the one on the right. :huh:
At least that theater also has accessible seats in the back. This is a new policy so they might have not completely thought through what seats to make which prices yet.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I am no fan or defender of Ticketmaster and do not wish to defend them. But you do get a significantly different experience in a live show depending on where you sit and how close you are to the onstage action. The problem with treating a movie as though it is a live event is that they are not equivalent. This plan trying to make them equivalent is deeply flawed.

In this age of shrinking theatrical windows, crap like this will just convince more people to stay home and wait for streaming.
Yup, you would expect to pay less to see Paul McCartney looking like an ant from the nosebleed section of a stadium than you would seeing him from the third row.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I don’t go to movie theaters anymore because poor management, lazy parents, and kids with cell phones, but if I did, I would absolutely go to any other theater venue than an AMC theater after that announcement. I’m glad my local theater is Cinemark, even though I rarely go because of the afore mentioned issues.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Seems to me the only way this hare-brained scheme is going to logistically work is for every seat in the auditorium to be numbered/lettered, and every ticket to have a specific seat assignment. Then, the theater is going to have to hire ushers/
bouncers to make sure everyone is in their proper seat. I used to think reserved seating was a cool idea, until some slob was sitting in my seat. I want no parts of dealing with strangers, and I wouldn’t rely on the ushers to get involved, so I don’t go to the cinema any longer (I don’t have the time for it anyway).

I’m not sure what you mean with this post.
Seat numbers and numbered rows are exactly what’s been going on for 5+ years now.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
Coming to.a theater near you - scales in seats!

Thats right, we're gonna charge you by the pound and for seat wear. We won't add the weight for your snacks though.

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki
AMC is dropping its “Sightline” pricing plan, instead a new front-row seating option will be available.

“Beginning in late 2023, AMC will begin testing its newest seating concept,” the company said. “Large, comfortable lounge style seating areas will allow guests to lay all the way back and relax. The angle of the seats will also make it more enjoyable to watch movies from these front row seats closest to the screen.”

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
IMHO, they should probably just get rid of the very 1st (and maybe also 2nd) row of most theaters and maybe raise ticket prices very slightly to compensate or something -- well, maybe not actually get rid of them instead of just not expecting anyone to want them (and don't have them for any new renos, etc), LOL.

Personally, I also don't really have much problem w/ them wanting to charge a tad more (than the rest) for the best seats.

_Man_

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
If the premium seats are priced $2-3+ higher than the other seats, then I imagine you might have chaos in the theater on opening weekend for some major event movies that heavily draw teen audiences, as people sit where they feel like it once they get inside.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks