What's new

The Dukes of Hazzard movie seems to be looming closer... (1 Viewer)

Dave Hackman

Stunt Coordinator
Fabulous

Now this real American movie should be force fed to foreigners to see what America is all about. This movie displays some damn fine acting. Jessica Simpson undoes herself at nearly every turn showing that she is much more then a reality show princess and a pretty face you pleasure yourself too. The way she positions her thighs during key scenes is amazing and makes me wonder if she is utilizing Suzanne Somers thigh master with a low-carb diet or maybe the Tony Little Gazelle and an illegal supply of track and field steroids. Watch dem eyes baby. Not since Harry Caray threw down his sunglasses during the 7th inning stretch of a Cubs game have I seen eyes move in such a unique manner. Total control with a flick of her will. I know Daisy was not a blonde in the TV show but I don’t care and respect Jessica’s decision not to let them add color. It could have been a real blowout.

Johnny Knoxville is the man, look at the way he looks when his brother is talking about his supposed relationship with his sweetheart. Classic. You simply can’t deny his ability to make you laugh ecstatically especially after he gives that face when they leave the cops in the dust. I’ve now started doing this to fellow commuters on my way to work. What facial control amongst all that big block torque…

Seann William Scott is a young Kenny Rogers if I ever saw one who is on the edge during most the movie really playing his role like a high stakes gambler. There isn’t much to dislike with this kid. He drives that gas guzzling old-timer excessively noisy horrible cornering awfully bright grandpa car like Jeff Gordon the last real American NASCAR driver that had command of the English language.

Willie Nelson did an impressive job bulking up for the role of uncle Jessie sometimes actually eating 3 meals a day although his final appearance falls a little short of perfection. Willie went out of his way to inhale smoke without the use of a stuntman, which after the news today is damn gutsy and goes to show you that he is a true team player.

This movie can only be summed up as this year’s most exciting blockbuster with a dash of superpower provided by no other then Linda let me see those wrists Wonder Woman Carter. Take that you fantastic bat freaks. If this movie can’t outdraw bewitched, something is wrong with today’s movie viewer and their ability to discern good from bad.

Go see it and unleash some magnificent hillbilly laughs.

MichaelD

Stunt Coordinator
Lee, haven't seen the movie so don't know about the Atlanta scenes, but I do know most of it was filmed in Baton Rouge. There was a huge car chase sequence here in New Orleans shot for about a week during filming.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Who needs to force feed it? An opening of $31 million says it loud and clear.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
I will probably rent it some time. I would not see this movie in a theater unless a really hot chick dragged me to it. Since the Dukes aren't exactly hunks this time around, I don't see that happening.

Greg_C_T

Second Unit
Didn't see an official thread, so I'll post it here. Saw the Dukes movie last night expecting maybe a C or C+ event. The six of us that went ranged from a radio DJ, to college professors, a psychologist, and computer engineer. My point in listing professions is to demonstrate we're not exactly a bunch of "morans". :)

We all pleasantly surprised that we had a great time at this movie! Anyone who was a fan of the original show, OR a fan of movies with fast cars racing through city streets and dirt roads will get a kick out of Dukes. It had all the original elements of the series including:

--the balladeer voiceover during screen-freezes
--Flash
--sirens on police cars that "wind-down" after they crash into the river
--officers hitting the top of the above-mentioned cars in disgust after the fact
--bow and flaming-arrow blowing things up
--Daisy. ;)

We had no complaints about the actors in the roles they played. Even Jessica Simpson did a fine job being the eye candy who can take care of herself and get the boys out trouble. The soundtrack was perfectly woven into the movie and the various songs fit the scenes they were paired with.

I would have loved to seen a cameo or two from the original stars, but besides that, we had no complaints from this fun movie. We were laughing and smiling the whole way through.

:emoji_thumbsup:

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I found it to be a very fun movie. I'm obviously in the minority, but I think it was far more representative of the original series that many make it out to be. The plot is right in line with two or so one-hour episodes strung together. The film included tons of very nice touches to the original series, as Greg has already mentioned. The biggest departure was to embellish the Dukes with additional charactaristics (like making Luke a balcony climbing ladies man and Bo an obsessive car nut) but they run with it and have some innocuous fun. Daisy is also spot on in not being a dumb (in this case blonde) bimbo but rather knowingly manipulative of her whiles.

It's far from perfect, and I say that two biggest disappointments are Boss Hogg and Roscoe P. Coltraine. Surprisingly, Burt Reynolds just doesn't cut it, although his 70's/80's cachet should have been perfect. But it's just a little bit too flat and uninteresting. He does make a good entrance, though. Roscoe is just zero personality and I really wish they'd have tried for someone with some distinctive take on the character. I wouldn't ask for someone to impersonate the TV character, but the movie's Roscoe is completely bland.

There's also a surprising amount of profanity. It wasn't that I was offended by it, and quickly adapted to it overall, but it dulled the impact of a 'Holy Shit' exclamation later in the movie which would have been better if it had stood out.

It goes without saying that the car scenes are the jewel of the whole thing. They really run the gamut here with nearly all of them done with practical effect stunts (minor CGI to place characters in car was all I saw). It's very refreshing to see some stunt workers really flex their muscles and there are some things that are done to perfection. Sustained drifts, beautiful shots of full contact dirt road racing, trademark vehicle jumping, two wheel driving, and even an amazing cold start 180 around a stopped police car from the POV of the officer inside. If you're a sucker for vehicle stunts, this is about the best in technical driving since Ronin (which has some textbook perfect precision driving).

If it had a stronger set of series-appropriate bad guys, I'd have rated it higher. 3 out 4, but I'm biased by being raised on the show and being a fan of car stunt movies as well (rarity that they are these days).

Greg_C_T

Second Unit
Alex--

Good point about the cold-start 180 around the police car! There was *very* sweet driving in this movie. One of my favorite stunts was the extended sideways skid through the traffic circle.

"What's the purpose of this?!?" :)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I know I am going to get some smartalec responses to this. But, was there a big problem with this film. I know it was #3 last week. And in two nearby theaters...one its not even playing anymore and the other its sharing a screen and showing twice a day. I am surprised a movie that was #3 is out of the theaters so quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks