What's new

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Just bought a region free blu ray player. Is there a non region 1 release of 1951 Carol worth having?

Congrats on going region free! Renown in the UK released the BFI's 2K restoration, but only as a DVD... unfortunately, plans for a Blu-ray were abruptly cancelled. I stick with VCI's 60th anniversary Blu-ray for my yearly Christmas Eve viewing.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Congrats on going region free! Renown in the UK released the BFI's 2K restoration, but only as a DVD... unfortunately, plans for a Blu-ray were abruptly cancelled. I stick with VCI's 60th anniversary Blu-ray for my yearly Christmas Eve viewing.

If there’s ever been a year to start watching Christmas movies early, this is it!

Is there a digital version available too?

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
If there’s ever been a year to start watching Christmas movies early, this is it!

Is there a digital version available too?

I'll say! We all need a little Christmas this year.

It's on Amazon Prime in the US and UK from VCI and Renown respectively, but both are in SD.

Last edited:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
The BFI restoration DVD appears to be OP. Its not available at the BFI shop on their website and Amazon.UK is only selling it through 3rd parties or used.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
:oops: No showing on TCM this year. While TCM has redone their website and removed the ability to see their schedule more than 30 days in advance, someone copied the December 2020 schedule prior to the change. Ignore the Star of the Month for September at top of the page. This is the December 2020 schedule. Good news for Laurel and Hardy fans as they are apparently the stars of the month for December.

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I actually had been scouting around the other day to see if there might be a new Blu released this year (based on that restoration of a year or two ago).

Apparently not.
Unfortunately, I'm not surprised Mike. Still disappointing, though.

Thank you very much for checking! I guess the 2012 VCI Blu-ray release will simply have to suffice.

CHEERS! :)

An Elvis Fan

Agent
Real Name
Thomas Widener
So I guess there's nothing new on this topic (I check and read this site quite often!) I did want to point out something that was mentioned a few years ago that there appears to be at least three versions of the Emerald Edition. The ones that I've found are as follows:

Edition One (David's Edition) This 2005 edition has the option of playing "Scrooge" or "A Christmas Carol" title cards as bonus features. This edition also has a mini booklet and a slipcover.

Edition Two (Tony's Edition) As Tony pointed out, this is a "bare bones" release without the mentioned bonus features that Edition One has (no option to play either title cards other than "A Christmas Carol," no little booklet, and I'm unsure about the slipcover). It does, however, have the option of French subtitles, which were not in the first edition.

Edition Three 2011 rerelease. The disk is identical to Edition Two. The only difference is the name Entertainment One has replaced Morning Star as the studio, but they are the exact same company. There appears to be a Morning Star and a Entertainment One release of the Blu ray as well but they are also identical.

One last thing about the Emerald Edition Blu ray and the 2011 Diamond Anniversary VCI Blu ray:

If you have either or both of these editions, or if you can find them cheap, you many want to buy and hold on to them from a collectability standpoint. As I am typing this, the cheapest Emerald Edition Blu ray on Amazon is over fifty dollars and the cheapest 2011 VCI Diamond Edition is close to thirty dollars. Since they only made the Diamond Anniversary Edition for only one year (and I'm guessing the Emerald Edition has been long out of print as well,) I'm sure the price will increase in value. The Diamond Anniversary Edition is also the only one that comes with a mini booklet, which makes it more scarce and collectible. As David pointed out, The Emerald Edition Blu ray neither has the booklet that the Edition One DVD had or the other bonus features from that first 2005 edition.

Sorry for that rant, just trying to keep this thread going! :)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
The BFI restoration still only available on DVD, released 5 years ago, is the edition to get. It appeared to be OP but currently showing as available at Amazon UK,

Product Description
FOR THE FIRST TIME IN THE HISTORY OF BRITISH CINEMA, RENOWN PICTURES ARE DELIGHTED TO PRESENT A FULLY RESTORED 2K TRANSFER FROM THE ORIGINAL FILM ELEMENTS ..This is easily the best screen version of the much loved yuletide tale. The ever-versatile Alastair Sim is impeccable as the miser who comes to see the error of his ways through the promptings of the spirits of Christmas Past, Present and Future. Michael Hordern makes a splendid Jacob Marley and Mervyn Johns a humble Bob Cratchit, while George Cole does well as the younger, carefree Scrooge. Beautifully designed by Ralph Brinton and directed with unexpected finesse by Brian Desmond Hurst, this is not to be missed... RADIO TIMES FOR THE FIRST TIME IN THE HISTORY OF BRITISH CINEMA, RENOWN PICTURES ARE DELIGHTED TO PRESENT A FULLY RESTORED 2K TRANSFER FROM THE ORIGINAL FILM ELEMENTS

There is a used copy available at Amazon in the USA. This is a Pal DVD so need to be region free to play.

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
The BFI restoration still only available on DVD, released 5 years ago, is the edition to get. It appeared to be OP but currently showing as available at Amazon UK,

Product Description
FOR THE FIRST TIME IN THE HISTORY OF BRITISH CINEMA, RENOWN PICTURES ARE DELIGHTED TO PRESENT A FULLY RESTORED 2K TRANSFER FROM THE ORIGINAL FILM ELEMENTS ..This is easily the best screen version of the much loved yuletide tale. The ever-versatile Alastair Sim is impeccable as the miser who comes to see the error of his ways through the promptings of the spirits of Christmas Past, Present and Future. Michael Hordern makes a splendid Jacob Marley and Mervyn Johns a humble Bob Cratchit, while George Cole does well as the younger, carefree Scrooge. Beautifully designed by Ralph Brinton and directed with unexpected finesse by Brian Desmond Hurst, this is not to be missed... RADIO TIMES FOR THE FIRST TIME IN THE HISTORY OF BRITISH CINEMA, RENOWN PICTURES ARE DELIGHTED TO PRESENT A FULLY RESTORED 2K TRANSFER FROM THE ORIGINAL FILM ELEMENTS

There is a used copy available at Amazon in the USA. This is a Pal DVD so need to be region free to play.

PAL DVDs are useless to many of us. I stick with the Diamond Blu-ray.
There is also the annoying 4% PAL speedup on DVDs that aren't inherent on Blu-rays, which was another reason I found Renown's cancellation of the Blu-ray release so disappointing!

Therefore, much as I would love to be able to recommend the above Region 2 DVD edition, I just CAN'T!!!! :(

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks