Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
VCI wasn't part of the 2015 restoration. It was undertaken by Renown/the BFI and funded by Unlocking Film Heritage and the National Lottery in the UK. It's a shame that Renown's 2015 Blu-ray was cancelled and they apparently have no intention of ever releasing it in high def. I bought the DVD out of curiosity, and it looks beautiful.
That's what makes their permanently cancelled Blu-ray release all the more frustrating, considering that by your most valued accounting, Renown got EVERYTHING right with their new transfer, including the four missing "for reaching it out!" words, only to drop the ball on an actual HD release!

Not that I'm much in the market for new video purchases these days, but there's no way I'm making an exception for a sped up PAL encoded DVD edition. For me, it's a pristine region free Blu-ray of A CHRISTMAS CAROL (1951) or nothing. I've got the 2012 Blu-ray for the best current HD transfer, and the somewhat lousy 2005 Emerald DVD, but with complete, unaltered dialogue to tide me over.

CHEERS! :)

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
I asked my local video retailer, Videomatica, to order me the Kit Parker DVD because, well, you know me. I was told that they had it and that I could pick it up, so I did. It turned out to be the VCI 2 DVD set as pictured above, and after they did some checking for me I was told that it has the same SKU as the Kit Parker release; in other words, if they order the Kit Parker DVD, the VCI DVD will show up. Weird. Spooky, actually. Ghostly, like a visitation, in fact.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
The whole thing is odd. Usually the DVD and blu ray release are listed together on Amazon as alternate versions of the same release. This Kit Parker (corrected) release has separate listings and a one month difference in release date for the DVD and Blu Ray. I didn't see the blu ray when I made my original post. You would think if it was just the VCI release with a new cover, they would release them both on the same date. However if this was a US release of the BFI restoration I think it would say" from 2015 BFI restoration " in the description and it doesn't. Maybe the best we can hope for is a remastering from the same source as the VCI release. Maybe with the missing words back in.

The product description for these 2 releases is identical.
https://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Ca...stmas+carol&qid=1570240914&s=movies-tv&sr=1-2

https://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Ca...m_mfc_title_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

The movie will be shown Sunday December 1, 2019 at 8 PM Eastern Time on TCM. Seems to be only showing this year on TCM. It has shown up on other channels but TCM usually has the best print.
Thanks for the heads up, Gary! I'll try and PVR this if I can free up enough space with the ton of Hallmark Christmas movies my wife has recorded! :D

Reactions: davidmatychuk

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Just a heads up... the new Kit Parker release is a repackaging of the 2009 Blu-ray and DVD, rather than the 2012 release.

Can anyone confirm whether the 2012 Blu-ray is an improvement video-wise over the 2012 release as I've read? I've had horrible luck trying to my hands on it... when I ordered it from Amazon a few years back they sent me the 2009 release (they did issue me a refund and told me to keep the disc).

Reactions: Tony Bensley

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I get more and more confused as this thread surfaces every year. I've had so many versions of the Sim CHRISTMAS CAROL over the years that I've lost track of some of those early ones.

The most recent copy I own is the 2011 60th Anniversary Blu-ray set. I don't know what the difference is with the 2012 or anything beyond, but I'm largely happy with the 2011 Blu-ray. I see the moving floorboards, and I can hear the blanking out of the four words, but I'm basically happy with how good most of the film looks compared with anything that came before it.

Is there anything really better than the 2011 in Blu-ray for US audiences?

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I get more and more confused as this thread surfaces every year. I've had so many versions of the Sim CHRISTMAS CAROL over the years that I've lost track of some of those early ones.

The most recent copy I own is the 2011 60th Anniversary Blu-ray set. I don't know what the difference is with the 2012 or anything beyond, but I'm largely happy with the 2011 Blu-ray. I see the moving floorboards, and I can hear the blanking out of the four words, but I'm basically happy with how good most of the film looks compared with anything that came before it.

Is there anything really better than the 2011 in Blu-ray for US audiences?
My understanding is that the only improvement for the 2012 Blu-ray over the 2011 edition was an 8 second missing audio glitch on the 5.1 soundtrack of the latter was rectified on the former. The 2.0 audio is fine on both editions, apart from the missing "for reaching it out!" dialogue, of course.

Reactions: Harry-N

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Thanks for the heads up, Gary! I'll try and PVR this if I can free up enough space with the ton of Hallmark Christmas movies my wife has recorded! :D

Of course, TCM's Canadian feed is airing EXECUTIVE SUITE (1954) on the December 1 2019, 8 PM Eastern time slot instead of A CHRISTMAS CAROL (1951). Figures! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

RMajidi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ramin
I asked my local video retailer, Videomatica, to order me the Kit Parker DVD because, well, you know me. I was told that they had it and that I could pick it up, so I did. It turned out to be the VCI 2 DVD set as pictured above, and after they did some checking for me I was told that it has the same SKU as the Kit Parker release; in other words, if they order the Kit Parker DVD, the VCI DVD will show up. Weird. Spooky, actually. Ghostly, like a visitation, in fact.
So, David, are you telling us that the Disc of Christmas Present is the same as the Disc of Christmas Past?

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
My understanding is that the only improvement for the 2012 Blu-ray over the 2011 edition was an 8 second missing audio glitch on the 5.1 soundtrack of the latter was rectified on the former. The 2.0 audio is fine on both editions, apart from the missing "for reaching it out!" dialogue, of course.

That's right. Now I remember, I think I asked this once before. Since I don't use the wonky 5.1 track, it doesn't matter to me.

Reactions: Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
That's right. Now I remember, I think I asked this once before. Since I don't use the wonky 5.1 track, it doesn't matter to me.
Honestly, having to adjust for the frame rate jerkiness on our Samsung Blu-ray player is a bigger, more relevant issue for me. I know that the 5.1 soundtrack issue matters to some, though.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Honestly, having to adjust for the frame rate jerkiness on our Samsung Blu-ray player is a bigger, more relevant issue for me. I know that the 5.1 soundtrack issue matters to some, though.

??? It plays smooth as silk on my Sony Blu-ray players.
I believe that it's largely a your mileage might vary according to your playback device's default settings situation. Thankfully, it is adjustable.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
The whole thing is odd. Usually the DVD and blu ray release are listed together on Amazon as alternate versions of the same release. This Kit Parker (corrected) release has separate listings and a one month difference in release date for the DVD and Blu Ray. I didn't see the blu ray when I made my original post. You would think if it was just the VCI release with a new cover, they would release them both on the same date. However if this was a US release of the BFI restoration I think it would say" from 2015 BFI restoration " in the description and it doesn't. Maybe the best we can hope for is a remastering from the same source as the VCI release. Maybe with the missing words back in.

The product description for these 2 releases is identical.
https://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Ca...stmas+carol&qid=1570240914&s=movies-tv&sr=1-2

https://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Ca...m_mfc_title_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

The movie will be shown Sunday December 1, 2019 at 8 PM Eastern Time on TCM. Seems to be only showing this year on TCM. It has shown up on other channels but TCM usually has the best print.
I saw it was coming on (after watching Shop Around the Corner) but I purposely didn't watch it; too early in the Christmas season.

I guess I'll have to watch my Blu-ray copy (2011 release) in a few weeks.

Reactions: Osato

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
The Mrs and I viewed the annual CTV Presentation of A CHRISTMAS CAROL (1951) earlier this evening.

As many times as I've seen this beloved yuletide classic through the years, there were a couple of things that I hadn't noticed before tonight's viewing. At one point during the Christmas yet to come segment, the ghost's face can briefly be seen! We also noticed that the man in the mirror can be seen BOTH times Ebenezer Scrooge looks into it!

Regarding missing dialogue, the "For reaching it out!" line was intact in this presentation. However, when Tiny Tim names Mr. Scrooge as the one he thinks had the Christmas Goose sent, his "Mr. Scrooge" dialogue was missing, although I suspect that may have likely been a technical transmission glitch.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
For many of us this 1951 adaptation is the definitive version, but the new BBC/FX telling airs tonight on this side of the pond on FX.

Glad I recorded this on its first presentation. Eliminating all commercial breaks helped me grasp-on to the human element awareness of the story.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
I think Christmas Carol adaptations should be designated by the actor playing Scrooge, so I can say that I haven't watched the Guy Pearce yet but it's waiting on my PVR. I can also say that my Christmas Eve double bill of the Alastair Sim and "The Man Who Invented Christmas" (which I somehow neglected to think of trying last Christmas Eve) much more than doubled my pleasure. I've been very busy with Christmas shows myself (and I will be right up to Ukrainian Christmas on January 7th as you can see from the poster), but I want to wish my HTF friends nothing but the best this holiday season. I'm grateful to you all in ways I'll never be able to put into words, but hey, that's what Christmas is for.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I think Christmas Carol adaptations should be designated by the actor playing Scrooge, so I can say that I haven't watched the Guy Pearce yet but it's waiting on my PVR. I can also say that my Christmas Eve double bill of the Alastair Sim and "The Man Who Invented Christmas" (which I somehow neglected to think of trying last Christmas Eve) much more than doubled my pleasure. I've been very busy with Christmas shows myself (and I will be right up to Ukrainian Christmas on January 7th as you can see from the poster), but I want to wish my HTF friends nothing but the best this holiday season. I'm grateful to you all in ways I'll never be able to put into words, but hey, that's what Christmas is for.

Happy Holidays, David! :)

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaMovieMaestro