English Invader

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Simon
I have seen this one and it is good but I can't honestly describe it as the definitive version. My vote goes to the George C Scott version from 1984:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Christmas_Carol_(1984_film)

I particularly like David Warner's performance as Bob Cratchit. He's mostly known for playing dark, villainous characters but this role brilliantly illustrates his versatility.

I do love the Alistair Sim version of An Inspector Calls, though.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I have seen this one and it is good but I can't honestly describe it as the definitive version. My vote goes to the George C Scott version from 1984:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Christmas_Carol_(1984_film)

I particularly like David Warner's performance as Bob Cratchit. He's mostly known for playing dark, villainous characters but this role brilliantly illustrates his versatility.

I do love the Alistair Sim version of An Inspector Calls, though.
I love the Scott version and you are very right about David Wanter. The child actor for Tiny Tim was not very good, other than that, this version is wonderful.

Reactions: Brian Kidd

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Last edited:

Brian Kidd

Premium
Guy Pierce as Scrooge could be excellent casting. I’m looking forward to seeing this.

A Christmas Carol is a strange beast. Everyone has there definitive version, but when a new one comes out, no one complains.
It's such a timeless story with ample opportunities for visual creativity that each new version has the potential to deliver a unique experience. With that said, there are several versions that don't live up to their potential (Ahem. Jim Carrey version.) Still, I'm always excited to see one of my all-time favorite stories get a new interpretation.

I'm also someone who really liked the Alastair Sim version, but prefer the George C. Scott, Albert Finney, and animated Richard Williams versions. The Sim version is a solid film, though, to be sure, and I don't fault anyone for loving it more than I do.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Probably nothing new but a new release of the 1951 film DVD only is being released by Kit Parker instead of VCI. Release date is October 15th.

https://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Carol-Ultimate-Collectors/dp/B000SR0DDE/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=A+Christmas+Carol+Collector's+Edition,+Ultimate+Collector's+Edition&qid=1570226697&s=movies-tv&sr=1-2

Product Description
Sim's tour-de-force performance as the ultimate miser has almost single-handedly made this beloved version of the Dickens story into one of the best-loved Christmas films of all time.

This ''2-disc collector's edition'' features a new state-of-the art High Definition transfer from the original 35mm negatives, also the 1935 version of the story, audio commentary by Marcus Hearn, George Cole, video featurettes, trailers, lots more.

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
I guess it's Kit Parker (not Kit Carson).

That's weird that Kit Parker would put out a Blu of this which is the same as the version I purchased in 2010. (I even get the little message from Amazon that I have already purchased this version of ACC.)

Wouldn't they be able to get access to that new transfer that VCI was advertising last year?

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
A 'new' release of an already existing 'hi-def' transfer, only made available on 'standard' DVD. Now, gee - that makes sense! Dumb marketing. Really dumb!

Reactions: Tony Bensley

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Well...there you go!

Thx, Ben!

But we're still left with the question about why wouldn't a Blu release of the '51 ACC be able to use that nice, new, shiny transfer that VCI was crowing about last year?
VCI wasn't part of the 2015 restoration. It was undertaken by Renown/the BFI and funded by Unlocking Film Heritage and the National Lottery in the UK. It's a shame that Renown's 2015 Blu-ray was cancelled and they apparently have no intention of ever releasing it in high def. I bought the DVD out of curiosity, and it looks beautiful.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tony Bensley

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
The whole thing is odd. Usually the DVD and blu ray release are listed together on Amazon as alternate versions of the same release. This Kit Parker (corrected) release has separate listings and a one month difference in release date for the DVD and Blu Ray. I didn't see the blu ray when I made my original post. You would think if it was just the VCI release with a new cover, they would release them both on the same date. However if this was a US release of the BFI restoration I think it would say" from 2015 BFI restoration " in the description and it doesn't. Maybe the best we can hope for is a remastering from the same source as the VCI release. Maybe with the missing words back in.

The product description for these 2 releases is identical.
https://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Ca...stmas+carol&qid=1570240914&s=movies-tv&sr=1-2

https://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Ca...m_mfc_title_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

The movie will be shown Sunday December 1, 2019 at 8 PM Eastern Time on TCM. Seems to be only showing this year on TCM. It has shown up on other channels but TCM usually has the best print.

Last edited:

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PhishHead00