What's new

The Death Of 3DTV (1 Viewer)

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Hi All,

The increasing chatter about the death of 3DTV has me concerned and I'm sure many of you 3DTV owners feel the same way. LG and Samsung have announced that they will slowly be phasing out 3DTV production. I have quite a collection of 3D movies that will be no good to me unless I can find a suitable replacement for my Panasonic plasma 3D when the need arises. So far my Panasonic ST30 is running beautifully...knock wood...but I know its not going to last forever.
I can't believe 3DTV never caught on with the general public. IMHO...this may be do in large part to the manufacturers not promoting it properly. When set up correctly, it is the ultimate in TV viewing and friends who come over to my place to view 3D movies, will also attest to that. In the meantime I'll be handling my plasma with "kid gloves."

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I tell you one thing, I am hesitant when it comes to purchasing a 3D Blu-Ray play because of the talk of 3D dying.

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
After 214 views as of this writing and only 2 replies, I guess many of you 3DTV owners aren't too concerned about the future of viewing your 3D DVD collection on your 3DTV when it ceases to function.:unsure:

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Nope, not concerned at all. I remember back in the 1990's I had a field sequential 3D system. Probably less than one percent of the total 3D TV owners today had field sequential 3d systems back then. No problem getting 3D titles (House of Wax, Dial M for Murder, It Came from Outer Space, Andy Warhol's Frankenstein, Hannah Lee, Gog, The French Line, Spooks and Pardon My Backfire shorts, and many many more) back then on DVD. There will always be some 3D TV and projector manufacturers.

Clayking38

Agent
Real Name
Rich
I think this talk all began because LG didn't showcase any 3D sets at CES. Yet it seems some of their forthcoming OLED sets, such as OLED65G6P include 3D. I would bet that some manufacturers will always include a few models of their more expensive consumer sets to include the feature.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I could never get into 3d. I always get a bad headache when watching a 3d movie so I never bothered investing in a 3d capable player and display.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
I will continue to support 3D blu-ray releases as long as they are manufactured, domestic preferred, but foreign if necessary.

My 2 Sharp DLP projectors will have to last me for the rest of my days. I have enough spare lamps, so as long as they hold up mechanically, I'll be a happy camper.

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
I've never had an issue viewing 3D movies on my Panasonic ST30 plasma. Friends who come over to watch movies are blown away by the 3D effects. Of course some 3D movies have better effects than others.
It is documented in medical journals that for one reason or another, 3D viewing is uncomfortable for some and that of course is a valid reason. However, IMHO...I think it generally comes down to either personal preference or a poor TV display and set up that turns off viewers.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
The title should read:
The Death Of Budget 3DTV

An enthusiast was complaining on another site that he thought he saved enough to buy a budget 3D TV and now this. The following was my reply:

Time is needed for efficient 3D capable models to reach budget prices.

You should feel relieved that you didn't waste your money on an inefficient 3D source that would be in your home, possibly lasting for years!

The low-priced budget models saturated the majority of the the industry and IMO, is what caused the disappointing experiences for the masses.
i.e. Visual complaints of artifacting, 3D looking inadequate and even amateurish by todays visual standards.

Thankfully only capable proficient 3D models are going to be produced where 3D will eventually gain back a respect it rightfully deserves.
---------------------
A positive look forward:

My expereince description of a 2015 OLED 65" 3D display:

The 3D experience is so impressive and accurate using regular theater glasses that I'm amazed at the pristine quality, pop-out and depth the screen produces!

The 3D image looks similar to my HFR experience from the Hobbit.
i.e. Extremely smooth and detailed. There is no flicker.

Also, and best of all, I have enough glasses from going to 3D theaters in the last 6 years to feel I can give away without hesitation, 3D glasses to a crowd of people that can now fill my family room and enjoy the 3D expereince!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks