What's new

General Discussion The Criterion Channel Streaming Service (Official Thread) (1 Viewer)

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Huh. I don't get that.

View attachment 57486

Strange I get it as well...

79BBA554-A9A7-4CA4-9A2B-34DE6BA84F34.png

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Robert,

We're talking about the phone app, not a TV app. He's saying he doesn't get the add button when he hits play

We're talking about viewing the complete films list at films.criterionchannel.com via Safari on the iPhone and adding a title to the Watch list.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
Robert,

We're talking about the phone app, not a TV app. He's saying he doesn't get the add button when he hits play

This is with the Criterion Channel desktop site via browser. That's the only place, so far, where you can get the “All Films” list. The streaming apps themselves don't give you that list.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
Even after hitting the play button? (Obviously, it doesn't play being on the phone, but I get the spinning logo)

The film does play for me. I just don't get any “Add to List” button from the desktop site, either with iPhone/Safari or iPad/Safari.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
We're talking about viewing the complete films list at films.criterionchannel.com via Safari on the iPhone and adding a title to the Watch list.

This is with the Criterion Channel desktop site via browser. That's the only place, so far, where you can get the “All Films” list. The streaming apps themselves don't give you that list.

I know, guys. I know. You can see in my screenshot I was checking the site on Safari. I meant to say we were talking about the "phone" not the "phone app" as I said.

Last edited:

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
It occurred to me that so far this week I've watched 4 titles on the service - Mildred Pierce, Stagecoach, Detour, and Night of the Living Dead.

If I were to have purchased those on blu-ray from Amazon it would have been:

$26.29+$29.91+$27.97+$25.54

=$109.71

So $89.99 and I can keep watching as much as I want for the rest of the year? No. Brainer.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
But how much would it have cost you to RENT those discs, assuming they were available? If you bought them, you could watch them far beyond the end of the year.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
But how much would it have cost you to RENT those discs, assuming they were available? If you bought them, you could watch them far beyond the end of the year.

Let's say you watch 2 movies a week. That's about .87¢ per viewing.

If you can show me how a disc rental (which I don't believe is even available) or a $29 purchase would have made more sense, the floor is yours and we're all ears.

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
My second movie on "The Criterion Channel" was "The Scarlet Pimpernel (1934) starring Leslie Howard, Merle Oberon, Raymond Massey and Nigel Bruce. It's been years since i last watched this wonderful film.

Just installed The Criterion Channel on my AT4 this evening.

Just finished watching THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL. Never saw it before but based on Crawdaddy's recommendation, I made it my first watch.

Really liked it. Only negative was the occasional mistakes in the subtitles, but no biggie.

Thanks for the recommendation, Robert!

"They seek him here, they seek him there, the Frenchies seek him everywhere."

Last edited:

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I watched The Lineup last night and noticed some stuttering, like frames were being dropped from time to time. It wasn't a bandwidth issue, as I have gigabit internet directly wired into an Apple TV from the modem, and I ran a speed test which showed I was getting 950+MB. It's not something I've noticed since getting very high-speed internet, and doesn't seem to be an issue with Netflix or iTunes.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Tom Logan

Second Unit
I've watched 3-5 movies (including The Lineup!) in the past week or so, and no streaming problems--audio or video--whatsoever. And I was looking for them.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I watched The Lineup last night and noticed some stuttering, like frames were being dropped from time to time.

I watched The Lineup this week and everything looked great to me. The next time it happens go back and see if the problem repeats in the same spot...

I have to say I was slightly disappointed in The Lineup - some good moments ("Say something!" "You're dead.") but it kinda fell flat to me.

Last edited:

Popcorn1

Agent
Real Name
Richard
I watched The Lineup last night and noticed some stuttering, like frames were being dropped from time to time. It wasn't a bandwidth issue, as I have gigabit internet directly wired into an Apple TV from the modem, and I ran a speed test which showed I was getting 950+MB. It's not something I've noticed since getting very high-speed internet, and doesn't seem to be an issue with Netflix or iTunes.

Has anyone else noticed this?

ISSUE WITH APPLE PRODUCTS: I have written to Criterion last week about this, and they are aware, and working on the problem (they replied to me 4 days ago).
I noticed it right away when I watched my first movie on this service (also The Lineup!). I have a new 4K Apple TV, and also tried on old Apple TV with Airplay, same issue. Also on iPhone, but way less noticeable since screen is so small.
Every 6 seconds, no matter what I watch on Criterion, there is a 'hiccup', like a frame is missing, and it is way more noticeable when there is movement, especially when camera pans left or right.
It is fine when I watch online on my laptop.
Should be fixed before too long.

Last edited:

Popcorn1

Agent
Real Name
Richard
SOUND MIXES:
Has anyone else noticed that some stereo titles are streaming on Criterion in mono? For example 'Mulholland Dr'', ''The Elephant Man''.
While some stereo movies with 5.1 mixes on bluray, only have 2.0 stereo on Criterion Channel.

Is there a setting that I have missed ??

Last edited:

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
I also noticed that the sound is only 2.0 and did ask that question in an e-mail to the site with some questions. They answered all my questions except for the one about the sound.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
...Every 6 seconds, no matter what I watch on Criterion, there is a 'hiccup', like a frame is missing, and it is way more noticeable when there is movement, especially when camera pans left or right....Should be fixed before too long.
Good to know.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks