What's new

The COVID Vaccination Thread (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Third Pfizer dose in arm. Fifteen minute waiting period to make sure it’s all good (nothing happened last time). Will update you all throughout the day of any side effects. First two doses were just mild shot site pain, so I’m hoping for a repeat.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Also stupid me I forgot my vaccine card so they just gave me a new one and wrote it in the third dose. I keep my original in a protective lanyard (like a conference badge) so this will just be added. But for those who are scheduled, don’t forget to bring your card if you don’t want to have to lug around two cards lol (first world problems).

But most places in California accept the official Healthvana app and I also have the MyHealth app which my HMO uses to track my vaccines.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
11 hours post shot. So far just shot site pain like last time, mild. I thought I might be feeling a bit warm (but not feverish). Thermometer says 98.1. I normally run 97.7 so I guess technically that’s a mild increase. But I don’t feel bad, my face just feels slightly warmer to the touch than normal.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
11 hours post shot. So far just shot site pain like last time, mild. I thought I might be feeling a bit warm (but not feverish). Thermometer says 98.1. I normally run 97.7 so I guess technically that’s a mild increase. But I don’t feel bad, my face just feels slightly warmer to the touch than normal.
Monday afternoon and night will be the real test. I hope it goes well for you.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Monday afternoon and night will be the real test. I hope it goes well for you.
Thanks! And if I have any symptoms tomorrow that will already qualify as “worse” than the first two shots, as after the mild shot site went away pretty much overnight (was only slightly sore the following morning) I was already feeling pretty much normal on Day 2 after both shots.

Time will tell. I have lots of sick and vacation time so I won’t be afraid to pull the trigger and stay home if I wake up feeling bad. Already watched Black Widow today, so that was a fun way to blast through a couple of hours.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thanks! And if I have any symptoms tomorrow that will already qualify as “worse” than the first two shots, as after the mild shot site went away pretty much overnight (was only slightly sore the following morning) I was already feeling pretty much normal on Day 2 after both shots.

Time will tell. I have lots of sick and vacation time so I won’t be afraid to pull the trigger and stay home if I wake up feeling bad. Already watched Black Widow today, so that was a fun way to blast through a couple of hours.
I didn't have any problems with the first two shots. I really didn't have any problems with the third shot at first. I didn't realized she gave me the shot until she started putting on the band aid. It was 3:30 p.m. on a Monday. However, by Tuesday late afternoon into Wednesday afternoon, my body felt like I was fighting off some kind of infection. I felt achy all over my body except I didn't have any type of headache, but I did have some chills. I never felt feverish. If I had to work, I probably would have been able to do so. By Wednesday night I was feeling better after taking some Advil. I think you're about 20-25 years younger than I am so that might be in your favor too.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
But most places in California accept the official Healthvana app and I also have the MyHealth app which my HMO uses to track my vaccines.
The State of New York only recently started requiring proof of vaccination for state employees, and fortunately I was able to resolve the mismatch between my information and the information my vaccine provider submitted to the Department of Health database shortly before then and got my "Excelsior Pass".

I still don't understand why we don't have a national app-based vaccine passport like the Excelsior Pass. It makes providing proof of vaccination so much easier. When I was in New York City the last time, I didn't need to bring my CDC card at all because I could just whip that out on my phone.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
24 hour post-booster update. I think Robert put it best when he said "it feels like my body is trying to fight off something". Shot site pain is still mild, a little less than yesterday. But I woke feeling a bit of malaise. Not fully feverish, no real aches and pains, just sluggish/tired.

I took my temperature: 98.7. Which for me is about 1 deg F higher than I normally run, so technically you could say I have a slight fever compared to my baseline of 97.7.

If I had to guess, and remember it's been six months and memory is tricky, I'd say I'm reacting a little more strongly to this booster than I did for either of the two initial doses, but so far nothing that causes me concern. I took the day off just to rest (technically I'm working from home). But if I had to come in to the office for whatever reason, I totally could.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
I had first and second Pfizer shots last February/March. Booster in September. Flu shot in early October. No reaction to anything. Yes, sore arm, like any injection, but not lasting more than a day or so. I think it depends on where the needle hits in your arm, frankly. The medicine itself didn't affect me at all.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I think it depends on where the needle hits in your arm, frankly.
I would agree with this. I have an injectable medication I take weekly; most weeks I feel nothing at all but this past week I must have hit an area with a nerve as I almost jumped out of my skin.

Had my flu shot last week and felt nothing at the time or after. COVID booster is coming up this Saturday.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I also informed the nurse administering the shot that I had a flu shot scheduled for Thursday and asked if I needed to reschedule it, and she said pretty firmly "no it will be fine, keep your appointment". So that's what I'm doing.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I didn't have any problems with the first two shots. I really didn't have any problems with the third shot at first. I didn't realized she gave me the shot until she started putting on the band aid. It was 3:30 p.m. on a Monday. However, by Tuesday late afternoon into Wednesday afternoon, my body felt like I was fighting off some kind of infection. I felt achy all over my body except I didn't have any type of headache, but I did have some chills. I never felt feverish. If I had to work, I probably would have been able to do so. By Wednesday night I was feeling better after taking some Advil. I think you're about 20-25 years younger than I am so that might be in your favor too.
One more thing about my aches and pains, I'm at the age and weight in which arthritis probably had more to do with my achy feeling after my booster shot than the actual serum injected into my body. With that said, it doesn't explain the chills I was having which is why I knew my body was reacting to the injection.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Five hours after my earlier post about a slight elevated temp, it's going back down (98.3F just now, normally I run 97.7) and I'm basically feeling pretty close to normal now. It's now 29 hours post-injection.

The worst of it was my eyes feeling a little warm (like when you might be starting to get sick) and a little bit of sluggishness/malaise. Shot site pain is reduced again, it was never bad but now it's barely noticeable.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
Pre-existing conditions may be affecting those of you having side effects.

Anyone with a compromised immune system should at least take the precaution of getting the vaccinations. Without the vaccinations you probably have less of a chance of surviving Covid if exposed. IT IS worth it, don't you agree?

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Got my Pfizer booster at today's regular checkup visit with my PCP. I also asked for the flu vaccine but they ran out yesterday - and the Dr. said he normally doesn't do both at the same time in case of reaction because if there were one they'd not know *which* vaccine caused the issue (an explanation that makes perfect sense). He also said he didn't give the pneumonia and flu vaccines at the same time - but he did for me last year and was the one who suggested both at the time (and I absolutely remembered as it's the first flu vaccination I've gotten in over 20 years). He was surprised when I told him that.

Anyway - minor pain with the injection (a "tiny" stick) and right now, about 2 hours later, just a hint of pain/soreness at the injection site.

I'll be getting the flu vaccination either from my pharmacy (they're on the way home from work so an easy drop in thing) or check with my PCP in a week or so (they're only 6 blocks from my office [opposite direction from home] - also an easy drop in thing).

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
It's been 24 hours. My arm got a bit sore at the injection site last night (not unexpected) but not so bad that it'd wake me if I rolled over on that side. Today it's still a bit sore but not as much as with the first 2 shots and I don't notice it unless I think about it. I have a bit of neck soreness right at the shoulder on that side but don't know if that's a side effect of the shot or me sleeping "funny" on it last night. Otherwise, no feeling "puny" or any kind of fever/pain/tiredness.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Now that all 3 US vaccines have authorized Booster and the Mix and Match things may be looking up.

Now just have to get them to authorize Boosters for a wider group of folks. Somewhat more interesting is the Johnson folks all sort of now sidedoor eligible for Booster regardless of any other factors. Since the Johnson was just being rolled out right when I became eligible, I think I was one of the very early J&J locally -- the slightly lower protection rate was fine back then since I didn't really meet any of even the medium risk factors esp since I'm perfectly fine being at home 99% of the time. Back then, the Delta 4th Wave wasn't really a overly worrisome thing and I figured saving the better vaccines for those who needed it more was a logical thing -- even knowing my local community was likely to be somewhat tougher, even I didn't expect the Vaccine resistance to be nearly as bad as it turned out, but I was wrong.

Now my decision is whether to opt for a 2nd dose of J&J or go with an mRNA booster waiting to see if the Winter/Holiday 5th Wave will occur -- I leaning toward the mRNA.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Now my decision is whether to opt for a 2nd dose of J&J or go with an mRNA booster waiting to see if the Winter/Holiday 5th Wave will occur -- I leaning toward the mRNA.

Everything I have read from epidemiologists, virologists and doctors whose opinions I’ve trusted through the pandemic, suggests that mixing a first dose J&J with a Moderna booster yields the best combination of protection - potentially stronger than two of the same doses of either of those vaccines. If I had received J&J, that’s what I’d be looking to do.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Everything I have read from epidemiologists, virologists and doctors whose opinions I’ve trusted through the pandemic, suggests that mixing a first dose J&J with a Moderna booster yields the best combination of protection - potentially stronger than two of the same doses of either of those vaccines. If I had received J&J, that’s what I’d be looking to do.

Reading and hearing the same. The CVS where I got my Flu shot last week even has the Moderna, but they've not updated to allow Booster Doses yet -- maybe next week

I did have a John Mellencamp Small Town moment a bit earlier. Since the local numbers have dropped 60-70% in the last 2-3 weeks I decided I had to get a simple haircut (no styling, no shampoo since I had just got out of the shower) which I've been delaying since August. Normally my Barber (just 2 people usually) isn't too busy early afternoon and mid week often you can walk in and get immediately or one person ahead
I left the house at 3:10, drive 2 miles - only 1 Barber was there today and the guy in the chair was just finishing as I walked in, "Hello - Been a long time -- need 4 months of hair to go away........" a bit of chit-chat in the chair, finish-pay and walk back into my house at 3:35. I had to laugh a bit -- this was big outing for the week

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
That’s how I felt getting my first haircut in over a year earlier this summer. I was amazed at how quickly nearly two years of mess was shaped into something presentable!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks