What's new

The COVID Vaccination Thread (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Looks like I should likely be able to get a booster sooner rather than later, whenever the Moderna booster is approved, (even though I'm only in my early 50's) due to underlying health risk, ie. my stroke from a couple years ago plus high BPL (though that's under control w/ medication nowadays).

Would definitely be good to get the booster by Jan before my (tentatively) planned vacation to Florida in mid-Feb...

_Man_

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Scheduled to get my booster on the 23rd, exactly 6 months after my last shot and before I leave for vacation the following week.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Is tere anything different in this booster shot then a regular shot?
Seems one could walk into CVS or wherever you got your earlier shot and just get an additional shot?

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
That's pretty much the way to do it here - as long as you're in a qualifying group. I'm double qualified (job and age) and will get mine at my next Dr. apt. (IIRC this week, possibly next - it's my 6 mo. checkup) along with the flu vaccine. If, for some reason, he doesn't have the Phizer (should - the office is associated with the hospital which provided my original vaccinations) then I'll drive a couple of blocks over to the site the hospital runs daily for primary and booster shots (same location for my primary). No apt. needed.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Is tere anything different in this booster shot then a regular shot?
Seems one could walk into CVS or wherever you got your earlier shot and just get an additional shot?

Right now it’s a third dose of the same shot that made up your first two doses.

The manufacturers are all working on developing boosters for specific variants for future use but right now it’s just an extra dose of what you had previously gotten. It does seem based on data collected that it’s getting the job done.

It may just be a simple matter that this always needed to be a three dose vaccine. Many vaccines we get in childhood have multiple doses spread over several years so that’s nothing new.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
In Canada we were encouraged to get what ever shot was available when they first came out. Many of us got Astro/Zenica. By the time we were to get the second shot, the gov’t was saying that A/Z was not the best and we should get Moderna or Pfizer. My wife and I got Moderna as the second shot.

Now people who wish to travel are finding that many countries do not accept a mixture of vaccines and some — including the USA don’t even approve of A/Z.!

HawksFord

Premium
Real Name
Maurice
I had more soreness in my arm after the booster than I did after the first two Pfizer shots. My wife had the same experience. Other than that, no issues for us.

Over the course of your life, you get lots of shots. Childhood vaccines, flu shots, tetanus shots, the shingles shot after a certain age. For me, those have all been necessary annoyances. The COVID vaccine is the first time I can say I was genuinely excited to get a shot.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Right now my wife and I do not fit the criteria for a booster shot. Hopefully that will change over the next few months (we were among the later people to become eligible for the initial vaccine). Glad to hear that most of those who have received a third shot have experienced minimal side effects. That gives us great hope that we will have a similar experience whenever we do become eligible.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I got my flu shot today at CVS and the pharmacist told me that the flu shot and any booster shot for COVID should be at least two weeks apart. I told her everything I'd read said that you could get them at the same time. She claimed it was OK to get them at the same visit, but that if you're getting them separately they should be two weeks apart.

Has anyone else heard this? I searched online but don't find anything that verifies what she told me. I'm scheduled for the COVID booster in about 10 days, so it's almost two weeks anyway. Not really sure what she was talking about.

HawksFord

Premium
Real Name
Maurice
According to this AP article, the CDC previously recommended waiting two weeks but those guidelines have been revised to say that you can get them on the same visit. There's nothing to indicate a delay is recommended if you don't get them on the same visit.

I got my flu shot and booster just one week apart. When we got our flu shots, we mentioned that we would be getting the booster. The pharmacist didn't say anything to us about waiting. When we got the booster, there was no question about when we got the flu shot. Maybe your pharmacist was just being extra cautious?

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
San Diego County announced today that 80% of residents age 12 and older have been fully vaccinated. Another 9.2% have received their first dose. So, in a few weeks, we should be close to 90% (12 and older) fully vaccinated.

Mark

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Vermont is nearly 90% vaccinated (88.9% have had at least one dose), but we're still in the midst of a spike giving us our highest case counts of the entire pandemic. Most days recently are over 200 cases daily, with a couple days over 300.

Prior to the recent spike, we were very seldom ever over 100 cases in a day at any time since this started.

1634226189955.png

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Sadly, locally I think we are are 40% eligible Fully vaccinated and 50-55% partially -- which is nowhere near the worst numbers in the state. Getting my Flu Shot tomorrow and hoping they expand the Booster shot program down is age just a little.

It appears my County is past the recent peak which was higher in case count and deaths than Dec/Jan, but maybe shorter duration assuming we don't get a 2nd peak -- down about a third in the last 2-3 weeks. Positivity rate has improved to 'only' 14% from 20 a few weeks ago. Per Capita hospitalization is #1 in the state and 14 day rolling case count is basically tied for first. The 4 county grouping we are usually bundled with easily is ahead of the pack.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
I'm getting confused about the expectations of booster shots. I'm coming up on the eight month mark, but it's been a while since they've said anything about booster shots for folks in relatively good health under a certain age.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm getting confused about the expectations of booster shots. I'm coming up on the eight month mark, but it's been a while since they've said anything about booster shots for folks in relatively good health under a certain age.
Booster shots have not been approved for those under 65 without any underlying conditions.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Booster shots have not been approved for those under 65 without any underlying conditions.
This may vary regionally, by state. I just got an exciting email from my employer that shows education workers (since we're back to in person learning) are now in the prioritized group for boosters. I'm making my booster shot appointment as soon as I can get one (I'm in my forties).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This may vary regionally, by state. I just got an exciting email from my employer that shows education workers (since we're back to in person learning) are now in the prioritized group for boosters. I'm making my booster shot appointment as soon as I can get one (I'm in my forties).
Great point!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Can officially confirm. Our workplace classified on-site employees as essential workers, and I now have an appointment for my booster tomorrow (yes, Sunday) morning. Since I didn't have anything but mild shot site pain for my first two shots (Pfizer) will be interesting to see if the third shot is any worse. I hope not, as I don't really like things mucking with my sense of taste (some reported metallic taste in mouth) but hey it sure beats the heck out of the alternative of being hooked up to a ventilator or worse!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks