What's new

The Color Purple Special Edition DVD (1 Viewer)

Dean Andre

Grip
So still no work on The Color Purple Special Edition DVD? I've been patient Warner Brothers. What's the hold up?
This is the first DVD I bought back in 1999, and it's the one that I really want an SE for!
Any news? ;)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
The EE/grain/MPEG artifacting (they all happen on this title) is so bad on the existing disc it looks like the picture is CRAWLING with little halos and bugs.
the opening credits having rining so hard it looks like a double exposure!
Looking *very* forward to a new SE with a new transfer :)
-dave

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
I too have been waiting on a SE version. It was also my very first DVD purchase back in 1999 and was one of Warner's "test market" titles back in 1997... long overdue for a re-release!

Last I heard the SE could possibly be out in the 3rd quarter?

Dean Andre

Grip
I guess I can wait for 3rd quarter. I can't wait to see what all is going to be included.

I remember something about the cast doing a commentary. Is that still true? I also heard they are doing a new retrospective on the movie that will include interviews with the cast, Alice Walker, and Steven Spielburg. Has that been confirmed?

Any news at all would really be appreciated!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I think the delay is due to the need to meticulously go through the movie frame-by-frame and identify anything that needs to be digitaly replaced with walkie-talkies. :D
I've seen evidence - which I am not at liberty to identify - that this SE will indeed be coming this year. Plans can change, of course. But it looks promising.
My wife cannot wait for it; she's been patient for 2 years in not buying the old disc. I hope the payoff is worth it!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks