What's new

THE BOWERY BOYS on DVD: continuing discussion of Warner's eventual release plans (NEW UPDATE 10/2 Po (2 Viewers)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Seanhtf said:
Monogram/Allied Artists and British Pathe had a reciprocal distribution deal. British Pathe handled Monogram/Allied Artists product in the United Kingdom, and Monogram/Allied Artists handled British Pathe releases in the United States, usually through their Stratford Pictures subsidiary.Sean
Thank you very much for sharing this most valued information, Sean! This confirms what I had already suspected in regards to UK distribution of the Bowery Boys Films. I also wasn't aware of Monogram/Allied Artists handling of British Pathe Titles! I also assume by your inclusion of the Allied Artists name (Which Monogram changed their name to in 1952, for those who are unaware.), that their reciprocal association with British Pathe must have lasted for some time.

Most interesting, indeed!

CHEERS!

Tony

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I'm once again starting to feel the itch of anticipation regarding when the next (And in this case, final!) Bowery Boys Volume will see the light of day!

"Da suspendahs is moidah!"

CHEERS!

Tony

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I'm getting anxious as well Tony. I've only watched a few titles in anticipation of watching the whole series in chronological order. This series really does have more continuity than many people realise; especially with the characters, character changes and the shift in the tone of the series. Hopefully we will be getting Volume 4 soon.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Randy Korstick said:
I'm getting anxious as well Tony. I've only watched a few titles in anticipation of watching the whole series in chronological order. This series really does have more continuity than many people realise; especially with the characters, character changes and the shift in the tone of the series. Hopefully we will be getting Volume 4 soon.
This matches my actions and reasoning to a tee, Randy!

CHEERS!

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Tony Bensley said:
I'm once again starting to feel the itch of anticipation regarding when the next (And in this case, final!) Bowery Boys Volume will see the light of day!

"Da suspendahs is moidah!"

CHEERS!

Tony
Likewise!!

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I'm ready!

Bowery 6.25.49.jpg

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I'd bet that it will be soon. We know Vol. 4 is coming - it's just a matter of time . WB hasn't released much during this first quarter of 2014.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
The Warner Archive's big announcement on their Facebook Page today (Besides a link to Variety's Announcement of Mickey Rooney's Sad Passing!) is their new to instant of the MGM Our Gang/Fitzpatrick Travel Talks Shorts. Absolutely nothing regarding the Bowery Boys, I'm afraid!

CHEERS! (But I'm Loozin' Duh Patients!)

Tony

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I'm getting anxious for The Bowery Boys Volume 4 as well. Since its a higher profile release for Warner Archive I'm pretty sure it will be available for pre-order at least 2 weeks in advance so I don't think it will be one of their weekly surprise releases.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Randy Korstick said:
I'm getting anxious for The Bowery Boys Volume 4 as well. Since its a higher profile release for Warner Archive I'm pretty sure it will be available for pre-order at least 2 weeks in advance so I don't think it will be one of their weekly surprise releases.
I'm really hoping this gets released at least before the end of May, as I hope to be making a major book purchase (The long awaited Randy Skretvedt Third Edition of LAUREL & HARDY: THE MAGIC BEHIND THE MOVIES.) from Amazon, quite possibly in July or August, and don't want to be stuck with having to make a choice!

Thank you very much, Warner Archive for issuing these Bowery Boys Volumes, but can you please "hoirry up" on dat last one?

CHEERS!

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Tony Bensley said:
I'm really hoping this gets released at least before the end of May, as I hope to be making a major book purchase (The long awaited Randy Skretvedt Third Edition of LAUREL & HARDY: THE MAGIC BEHIND THE MOVIES.) from Amazon, quite possibly in July or August, and don't want to be stuck with having to make a choice!

Thank you very much, Warner Archive for issuing these Bowery Boys Volumes, but can you please "hoirry up" on dat last one?

CHEERS!
It's got to be soon . I'd guess that WB is probaly just about done with the mastering.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I don't know where they would go in the series, but Warner Archive Streaming just added the following BB films in HD today:Blonde DynamiteBlues BustersBowery Bombshell

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Peter Apruzzese said:
I don't know where they would go in the series, but Warner Archive Streaming just added the following BB films in HD today:Blonde DynamiteBlues BustersBowery Bombshell
Hi Peter!

BLONDE DYNAMITE and BLUES BUSTERS are the first and last Bowery Boys Theatrical Releases for 1950, and BOWERY BOMBSHELL was their third Release for 1946 (Out of a perspiring total of five in their inaugural year! :blink: ), and also the third in the BOWERY BOYS Series.

Of course, all of the above Features are also on THE BOWERY BOYS, VOLUME 1 Warner Archive Set! :D

CHEERS! :lol:

Tony

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Tony Bensley said:

CHEERS!
Hi Tony!

Like you, I've been looking forward to Mr. Skretvedt's updated (and very, very essential) L&H book. Have you heard confirmation of a Jul/Aug release date? His FB page indicates he is still working on the text. Whenever it comes out it will be worth the wait as his previous volume was a goldmine of information and it can only get better. I can still clearly remember finding the 2nd edition at Borders and devouring it over multiple sessions. This is easily the best reference book on the making of L&H films and arguably one of the best reference books on film in general.

Steve

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Peter Apruzzese said:
Yeah, I was surprised to see them. I hope to watch the HD stream of Blues Busters and then compare to the DVD this weekend.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Jakerman1988 said:
I believe Warner located a 35mm print of MR. HEX.
Though I could be mistaken, if memory serves me correctly, I believe it was the previous lack of accessibility to a decent print for MR. HEX that held up the issuing of the Bowery Boys Volumes.

Speaking of MR. HEX, it looks as though I'll have to wait until sometime after my 50th Birthday next week to view a proper print of this. To date, I've only seen the out of focus transfer that TCM aired in 2010.

AH WELL! "Finks kome two doze hoo weight, eye guezz!!"

CHEERS!

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks