THE BOWERY BOYS on DVD: continuing discussion of Warner's eventual release plans (NEW UPDATE 10/2 Po

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jul 24, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    I admit I was ready to pounce, and say yeah, yeah, but what about the 8 minute segment from almost 2 years ago?

However, having seen the entire teaser, complete with the "Coming Soon" and perhaps more importantly, the 2016 copyright information, it indeed appears the long wait for the Bowery Boys documentary might be nearing a "Dead End"! :D

Me thinks the ole Yuletide Wish List is beginnin' to grow excruciatin'ly! Incidentally, Jamie Farr still looks really good!

Thanks for posting this, Joe!

CHEERS! :)

Karrenola and Mr. Handley like this.
  2. Karrenola

Karrenola Stunt Coordinator

Karen
    Well Joe that was mighty unanimous of yous! I finally got to see Little Tough Guys in Society.

Sheesh though. What a mess just to satisfy a trend, huh. But a very interesting look at attitudes toward and treatment of women a year before war breaks out in Europe, and a year before the New York Expo that publicized television.

It was GREAT seeing Billy Benedict and David Gorcey with good in your face parts though. Too bad the studio didn't have more faith in Billy as a leader, he could've easily been convincing. Better writing and starring Billy would've probably lessened the focus on Halop, Hall and Leo Gorcey. :rolleyes:

Mr. Handley likes this.
  3. Karrenola

Karen
    Well waddaya know. FINALLY!! And the current level of social media can really give this thing a huge boost into the mainstream where it should be.

I hope it goes in depth into the these points:

1) Why New York City mattered so much then and how that relates to why it matters now.

2) Why female fans across the color and age spectrum love the Boys so much.

3) What benefits there were and still are to the inclusion of character actors without diplomas and with plenty of ad lib.

I also hope the producers give the fans Facebook / Twitter / Snapchat pages to encourage dialogue. If this thing comes out before October, fans like me are going to write to our favorite journalists and ask them to take a serious look here to see this major part of the undying roots of this current election year.

Reddit will probably see some level of surge on the topic as well.

I also hope Leo and Huntz's sons, as well as willing family of other Boys, actors and producers / crew join us in discussing this ongoing phenomenon. It's bound to awaken European and other fans worldwide. :banana:

Tony Bensley and Mr. Handley like this.
  4. Karrenola

Karen
    Well Mr Handley, you got trough all 48 o' dese films, huh? Dat's good, you've reached da pineapple o' your career. Congrats!

Glad you put Meet the Monsters at #1, it really IS that good.

Your list, though, really does look like that of a diehard Stooges fan. Your taste seems to be more slapstick and less story, but that could change as you see these over and pick up more dialogue and banter.

Thanks to you going so meticulously through these, I've become able to settle on my one true favorite #1 of the 48 --

Drum roll, please :drum:

BLUES BUSTERS!!!!!!:lol:

Yes. Dat one's got ALL the elements I cherish about the Boys during this dynamic final stage of their time in the sun:

1) A great opening theme and scenes

2) The greatest of moments for Whitey, Chuck and Louie ('I ain't hollerin'!).

3) Butch's great one liner 'And dis bell ain't got no crack in it.'

4) LEO. He just shines in dis. 'I'm sick too. Sicka YOU.' 'Still holdin' out, huh.' And the tears in his eyes, despite the hilariousness of Sach just being across da street, summed up how I felt about Sach being out of the gang. His reaction to his girl biting the finger he wagged in her face. His way with Rick the Cocacabana Club owner. Just superb from start to film finish.

5) HUNTZIE. His timing in dis is impeccable. I'll never forget my shock at first hearing him go 'Here's 800 dollas.' A gal can forget all about his nose the way he handles those crooning scenes, engaging the audience like a seasoned performer, even without a mike. He played those scenes after getting kicked over to Rick's place with all the talents he had amassed up to that point and beyond. That scene with him and Leo over their fate leaves no doubt as to why they ruled and others got fewer and fewer lines. There was just no competition with these two heavies.

6) ADELE. That woman is one of my heroes. Smooth, understated, tough and beautiful New Yorker. 'Aren't you applauding the wrong act?!' 'It's like singing in a mausoleum out there.' 'I'll take it.'

7) PHYLLIS. She had the distinction of being the one to bite Leo's finger and save Sach. She played her role really well and did it like a thinker rather than a traditional woman for those days.

8) BERNARD. All his many talents were evident in this film. He had the Louie camp, debonair, hungry and total emo at his fingertips with impeccable timing. ' I don't like da complexion of tings...'

9) EVERYBODY in the club / thug / fight scenes. The pratfalls were hilarious, including Leo's. The reactions to Huntzie's singing and Leo's corny jokes were tops.

10) SONGS. Bluebirds Keep Singing in the Rain, You Walked By, Let's Have a Heart to Heart Talk. I don't care who sang 'em, these are great songs. Usage of a variation on Bluebirds for the tap dancing was cool. The three Boys dancing to Swanee River was so sweet in that empty place with Louie trying not to vomit. Leo bad singing Dixie was fun too. Louie walking by during Sach's You Walked By and getting waved away like a fly was priceless.

Blues Busters being one of the only films to go on VHS is for a good reason. It can be thought of as definitive of the Bowery Boys. It has all the elements that make it not any other genre or type of comedy. I can see it over and over and find something I hadn't seen before in it every time. The story is tight and fun with bits of New York reality thrown in. It is truly an American classic.

:)

5. Karrenola

Karen
    Hey gang, just a quick heads up. Just saw a few Bowery Boys films up on Apple TV's Movies, rentable for a whopping $3.99 fish each. They're all from the 48 films, no DNK, LTG or EEK, no 1937 Dead End. That documentary's gonna generate some interviews and renewed interest, to what degree remains to be seen. iTunes getting ready, putting their big toe in it looks like.

Mr. Handley and Tony Bensley like this.
  6. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    It's nice that Apple TV's making the Bowery Boys accessible to viewers, but that high premium, especially for rentals, is just a bit incineratin'!

By the way Karen, did you happen to notice whether these were in HD format, or are they SD like our DVD volumes?

Karrenola and Mr. Handley like this.
  7. Karrenola

Karen
    Hey Tony, the three up on Apple TV so far - Bowery Bombshell, The Bowery Boys Meet the Monsters and Bowery to Bagdad are all in HD format and not for digital sale, just rental.:blink:

Tony Bensley and Mr. Handley like this.
  8. 1788 Aug 25, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
    Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    I had suspected that Warner's Bowery Boys scannings were at least HD, if not 4K. Your Apple TV findings appear to confirm this. It's too bad that Warner's standards for Blu-ray release are so high that these won't likely be released in that format, but their going the Digital Download purchase route for "Lesser Quality" HD Transfers isn't unheard of. Hopefully, Warner will add that option for U.S. based customers, at least! Sadly, we internationally based residents tend to miss out on these, due to differing copyright clearance issues, and such. Ah well!

Mr. Handley and Karrenola like this.
  9. Karrenola

Karen
    Hey yous guys, can any of yous gimme a heads up on dose tree books Hollywood's Made To Order Punks?

Are dey woith the dough dey're askin'? <_<

10. Joe Davis

Joe Davis Stunt Coordinator

Joe Davis
    I have to say right off the bat that there was a huge gap in between my viewings of these next few films and the review process, so this post might not be as organized as some of my previous ones. :)

Angels Wash Their Faces (8/26/1939) -
    Directed by Ray Enright. Written by Michael Fessier, Niven Busch, Robert Buckner, and Jonathan Finn. Produced by Max Seigel, Hal Wallis, and Jack Warner. Costarring Ann Sheridan, Ronald Reagan, Bonita Granville, Henry O'Neill, Margaret Hamilton, Eduardo Ciannelli, Jackie Searl, Marjorie Main, Bernard Nedell, Dick Rich, Grady Sutton.

Gabe Ryan (Frankie Thomas) is released from reform school, and he and his sister (Ann Sheridan) move to a new neighborhood in order to start a new life. Gabe befriends the Termites Club (the Dead End Kids), but is soon forced out when crooked land speculator Alfred Martino (Eduardo Ciannelli) frames him for arson. In order to break his pal out of jail, Billy Shafter (Halop) studies to become honorary mayor during Boys' Week. With the help of DA Pat Remson (Ronald Reagan), Billy and the rest of the gang manage to catch the real culprits.

"Angels Wash Their Faces," also known as "The Battle of City Hall," is an interesting film because the Dead End Kids are given a slight makeover - one that would take full from in the next Warner Bros. film "On Dress Parade." The guys are treated as more positive role models. Their battles are not against neighborhood kids or unsuspecting society types - well, not for the most part, anyway. The main enemies are high authority figures. The kids feel that the way to reach those people is to move up to their level. That's not to say the Dead End Kids' tough guy images are completely thrown out the window. For instance, Leo Gorcey picks a fight with new kid Frankie Thomas. But after Frankie wins, the gang happily welcomes him into their organization.

Ultimately, the end goal is not to cause trouble, but to end it. It seems likely that Warner Brothers was trying to present the Dead End Kids as better role models for their ever-growing juvenile fan base. While seeing these lower class kids take on higher ups is satisfying, certain attempts at cleaning up the DEK's act aren't always convincing. For instance, the guys' organization - the Termites Club - is treated as something the Our Gang kids might put together. In most other DEK films, the group would have found such a club to be lame. The fact that DEK themselves don't seem too comfortable playing a cleaner gang is also noticeable.

There are some strong dramatic scenes to be found. The kids' unsuccessful attempts at rescuing their pal Sleepy (Bernard Punsley) from a fire is played well, particularly through the shocked emotions afterwards. Marjorie Main's strong ability to play a defeated mother is brought back, as she helplessly reacts to her son's death. The climax, in which the kids turn the entire town against two of Martino's thugs, and turn their punishment into a public display is presented well, particularly through the reactions of actors Bernard Nedell and Dick Rich.

Ronald Reagan is on board again, and Ann Sheridan is always a strong presence. Frankie Thomas, while from a different acting school than the DEK, is always welcome. Thomas' "Nancy Drew" costar Bonita Granville plays Leo Gorcey's tag-a-long sister. She seems to be a bit too old to be playing a cute younger kid. That's no fault of her's, though.

"Angels Wash Their Faces," while not the best DEK movie, is still worth seeking out. it's available on DVD from the Warner Archive.

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/146776/Angels-Wash-Their-Faces-The-Original-Trailer-.html

Call a Messenger (11/3/1939) - Directed by Arthur Lubin. Written by Arthur T. Horman, Michael Kraike, and Sally Sandlin. Produced by Ken Goldsmith. Costarring Robert Armstrong, Mary Carlisle, Anne Nagel, Victor Jory, Buster Crabbe, El Brendel, Jimmy Butler, George Offerman, Jr.

In order to avoid reform school, the guys get jobs as messenger boys. They learn to like the job, but trouble arrives when gang leader Jimmy (Halop) and his older brother (Victor Jory) get involved with gangsters.

I'm not sure if this was indeed filmed in between "Angels Wash Their Faces" and "On Dress Parade," or after the Dead End Kids left Warner Brothers. Either way, the lineup here is interesting. We've still got four of the five Little Tough Guys - with the fifth one (Charles Duncan) getting a random mention in dialogue at one point. Leading the group are Billy Halop and Huntz Hall, both of whom are given special billing.

This film introduces the first of many problems with the Universal Dead End Kids films - the attempt at turning Halop and Hall into a comedy duo. They never seemed to quite gel, especially since Billy's reactions to Huntz's goofiness tended to be little more than "shut up!" and a slap to the face. I understand the want to mix Halop's more serious story lines with comic relief, but the idea would be pulled off much more effectively in the later Gorcey-Hall films.

Huntz is now in full comic form, but he has a long way to go before his Sach persona is found. The rest of the gang is still pretty interchangeable, but all put in good performances.

A favorite moment from the film is when the gang gets transferred to a new place of business. Beforehand, they are warned that their new boss O'Neill is a strict one. Upon arriving at their new workplace, the tough guys demand to see O'Neill, expecting it to be a fellow they can easily take on. The punchline is that O'Neill is an attractive young lady (Anne Nagel). Suffice it to say, the guys all immediately fall for her. I have to say that it's pretty cool to see a 1930s movie that presents a female character as a business manager.

Also on board is El Brendel, as the gang's pal and fellow messenger "Baldy." As in "Code of the Streets," Brendel - while maybe not terribly funny - is certainly likeable.

My memories from several weeks ago are admittedly fuzzy at the moment, but I seem to recall finding "Call a Messenger" enjoyable enough.

I've run into some technical trouble with getting this one up online, but hopefully I'll be able to work them out soon.

Karrenola likes this.
  11. Joe Davis

Joe Davis
    On Dress Parade (11/18/1939) - Directed by William Clemens and Noel M. Smith. Written by Tom Reed and Charles Belden. Produced by Bryan Foy, Hal Wallis, and Jack Warner. Costarring John Litel, Cecilia 'Cissie' Loftus, Selmer Jackson, Aldrich Bowker.

Slip Duncan (Gorcey), a tough kid from the East Side, is sent to military school. He retains his smart alecky ways until his behavior nearly costs the life of Cadet Maj. Rollins (Halop). Slip changes, becoming a hard worker and a kinder soul, all the while having to put up with being disliked by the other students for his previous behavior.

"On Dress Parade" continues the idea of having cleaner Dead End Kids. You remember how the guys were completely transformed into good citizens at the end of "Crime School"? Imagine them acting like that for an entire film! With the exception of Leo Gorcey and Bernard Punsley, the rest of the kids come from decent backgrounds, and are very well-behaved, to the point where they don't take too kindly to Slip's bad boy behavior.

While odd, it's an interesting change of pace. Leo Gorcey is more or less the star this time, with Billy Halop in a (significant) supporting role. Gabe Dell gets a rare chance to shine, playing a Cadet who, while falling behind academically, is dedicated to serving. Huntz Hall and Bobby Jordan mostly stick around as Gabe's pals. Bernard Punsley's role, as Slip's pal from New York, is a minor one.

This would be the Kids' last Warner Brothers film. It's available on DVD from the Warner Archive alongside "Hell's Kitchen."

East Side Kids (2/10/1940) - Directed by Bob Hill. Written by William Lively. Produced by Sam Katzman. Costarring Leon Ames, Dennis Moore, Joyce Bryant, Vince Barnett, Dave O'Brien, Ted Adams, Maxine Leslie, Robert Fiske, James Farley, Alden Chase, Fred Hoose.

Former tough kid Pat O'Day (Leon Ames) grows up to become a cop, and tries to clear neighborhood pal Knuckles Dolan (Dave O'Brien) for a murder he didn't commit. In the meantime, Pat is also trying to keep Knuckles' kid brother Danny (Harris Berger) and his pals out of trouble. This becomes difficult when Danny gets mixed up with a counterfeiter (Dennis Moore).

The pilot film for the Monogram series is interesting, in that it doesn't feature any of the Dead End Kids. The main cast is instead made up of Little Tough Guys Harris Berger and Hally Chester, Frankie Burke (the young Cagney from "Angels with Dirty Faces"), Our Gang supporting player Donald Haines, radio actor Eddie Brian, and brothers Sam and Jack Edwards.

Perhaps it's because I'm missing the familiar Dead End Kids as the leads, or perhaps this is simply an average script, but the film feels rather dull. These would-be Dead End Kids are capable (with leads Berger and Chester as the standouts), but the lack of Gorcey, Hall, and company ad-libbing their way through the script is noticeable.

The film does benefit from its supporting cast, notably Leon Ames as the kids' unofficial guardian, and Dennis Moore as the baddie on the run.

For some reason, Hally Chester's character "Dutch" (evidently a precursor to Muggs McGinnis) is killed at the end of the film. Unfortunately, we haven't really gotten to know the character well enough to care whether he's alive or not. It all comes off as rather forced.

Future East Side regular David Durand is listed in the cast credits, but doesn't appear in the finished film. Evidently, his scenes were deleted.

Not one of the best, but worth seeing at least once for its historical significance within the franchise.

Tony Bensley likes this.
  12. Joe Davis

Joe Davis
    Boys of the City (7/15/1940) - Directed by Joseph H. Lewis. Written by William Lively. Produced by Sam Katzman. Costarring Vince Barnett, Inna Gest, Dave O'Brien, Minerval Urecal, Dennis Moore, Forrest Taylor, Stephen Alden Chase.

In order to avoid jail, the East Side Kids are sent to Algy's father's summer camp. On the way, the gang winds up spending the night in a mansion that was previously owned by a now deceased woman. With them is the woman's widower (Forrest Taylor), a judge who, along with his niece (Inna Gest) is being threatened by racketeers. As it turns out, the judge was the same one who nearly sent Danny's older brother Knuckles to the chair. When the judge is found dead, Knuckles is made a suspect. It's up to he and the East Side Kids to prove his innocence.

Sam Katzman's previous Dead End Kids knock-off film, simply called "East Side Kids," had done well enough to launch a new franchise. For a follow-up movie, Katzman was able to get Dead Enders Bobby Jordan and Leo Gorcey under contract, along with Leo's kid brother David, and ex-Our Ganger turned Vaudevillian Ernie "Sunshine Sammy" Morrison. Jordan replaced Harris Berger in the role of Danny, while Leo Gorcey was cast as his tough, wise guy pal Muggs. Sunshine Sammy played Scruno, the series' token black member, and (at least in this film), an elephant in the room. More on that later. Brother David was "Pete," but eventually became "Peewee." As with his later Bowery Boys appearances as "Chuck," David was more or less there to round the group out. However, he does get a funny moment in this film, during the dinner table sequence.

From the previous film, Katzman kept Hally Chester, Frankie Burke, and Donald Haines, although Chester and Burke would both leave after this entry. Dave O'Brien also returned to play Knuckles. Jack Edwards was set to reprise his role of "Algy," but immediately dropped out after being offered another film role. Eugene Francis was cast in his place.

"Boys of the City" had the potential of being a much better movie. The idea of putting the gang in a murder mystery is a good one. Unfortunately, the end results are only somewhat satisfying.

Before we're really thrown into the plot, we're introduced to one of the many negatives about this film - the East Side Kids. They're obnoxious, but not in a way that's charming or amusing, unlike their Dead End Kids counterparts. They physically assault a fruit vendor for no good reason, and do quite a bit of complaining. Although Leo Gorcey is pretty enjoyable as the tougher, straight-faced Muggs.

Issue number two is Scruno. While he would eventually become a delightful, memorable source of comic relief, here he is simply embarrassing to watch. Besides spending a good chunk of the film making bug eyed expressions and freaking out over "ghostes," he's also a supporter of some of the absolute worst black stereotype jokes ever written.

During the gang's trip to camp, their car gets a flat tire. When Danny suggests they push the car, Muggs lazily lays on the side of the road. He then says to Scruno -

Muggs: "Hey, boy, bring me up some ice water."
    Scruno: "Yessah!... Say, I's a guest here, too!"

Evidently, black people are born with a servant's mindset.

Later, while the kids are being guided through the spooky house by its equally spooky caretaker (Minerva Urecal), a frightened Scruno says, "man, I sho' do miss that ol' plantation."

At the dinner table, Urecal gives the all of the gang pies for dessert. All of them, that is, except for Scruno, who is instead treated to a giant slice of watermelon.

Scruno: "Ooooh! Now, I don't like that woman, and I don't like that graveyard... But watermelon, ha, is watermelon anytime!"

He literally dives headfirst into the thing.

The closing gag has Muggs mistaking Scruno's hand for a piece of chocolate cake.

Sunshine Sammy later recalled going to Sam Katzman and requesting he play "Scruno" the way he wanted to, rather than how the writers wanted him to. Katzman agreed, and as a result, in most future ESK films, Scruno is enjoyable to watch. While still the victim of bad jokes and the occasional obligatory 'scared black guy' role, he displays a cleverness that is sorely missing from this film.

Another issue is the incredibly low budget. True, this is a Monogram film. But even future East Side Kids (and Bowery Boys) entries looked better.

Despite all of this, there is still some good to be found, particularly in the supporting cast. Dave O'Brien, an actor who perhaps deserved better film roles, is always welcome. Minerva Urecal and Dennis Moore are delightfully chilling as the maid and companion to the judge, respectively. Vince Barnett makes a nice stooge, and Forrest Taylor plays scared realistically. The one drawback of the supporting cast is Inna Gest - or rather, the character she has to play. She's the stereotypical damsel in distress - always screaming, and completely incompetent without a big, strong, good-looking man by her side.

"Boys of the City," while among the weaker East Side Kids films, is worth seeing at least once. It's with this film that the Bowery Boys evolution began. Katzman's wise decision to hire Gorcey and Jordan would eventually lead to him also grabbing Huntz Hall and Gabe Dell. The carefree atmosphere among the series' directors allowed Gorcey (and later Hall) to ad-lib like hell, giving the films a much needed comedic boost. This, along with the Gorcey-Hall chemistry, would all eventually be the foundations for the Bowery Boys films.

Trivia:

The New York street sets for this and many of the early East Side Kids films were shot on Hal Roach's backlot in Culver City.

Listen closely during the cigar scene. You can clearly hear someone's voice. It's perhaps that of director Joseph H. Lewis.

Clips from this film later appeared in the Muppet Babies episode "Is There a Muppet in the House?"

You're Not So Tough (7/26/1940) - Directed by Joe May. Written by Arthur T. Horman, Maxwell Alley, and Brenda Weisberg. Produced by Ken Goldsmith. Costarring Nan Grey, Rosina Galli, Henry Armetta, Eddie Walker, Harry Hayden, Joe King, Arthur Loft.

The Dead End Kids are a gang of tramps who make their way to California for handouts. Tommy and Pig wind up working for Mama Posito (Rosina Galli), a wealthy, but kind farm owner who has been mourning the disappearance of her son from several years ago. Tom cons Mama into believing that he is her long lost son, in an effort at robbing her. Over time, Tommy develops a fondness to his would-be Mama, and ultimately manages to save her business from corrupt dealers.

This is easily one of the best entries from the Universal franchise. The story is heartwarming, as Tommy changes from a self-centered fellow with get-rich quick motives, to a caring, responsible individual. Unlike in other Dead End Kids movies of the era, the transition is gradual rather than abrupt, and therefore more believable.

Rosina Galli performs beautifully as Mama Posito, the kind-hearted who teaches Tommy responsibility. The most touching part of the film is the very end, in which it is revealed that...

SPOILER ALERT

Mama knew about Tommy not being her son the entire time.

The rest of the Dead End Kids, which now includes all of the originals, save for Leo Gorcey, are strictly there for comic relief, with Huntz getting most of the attention. They would retain these roles for the remainder of the Universal run. Huntz's Pig character does have one surprisingly non-comedic moment in which he believes that his pal Tom is still after Mama's money, despite having done a full heel-face-turn.

Also on board is Henry Armetta, a favorite character actor of the day, known for playing what one might consider an Italian stereotype.

From this point up through the end of the Universal series, the group would be billed as "The Dead End Kids and the Little Tough Guys." Clearly, Universal was a supporter of keeping things simplistic... While there are three Little Tough Guys in this film (David Gorcey, Harris Berger, Hally Chester), they aren't members of the gang, and their roles are incredibly minor. This would continue for most of the series' run, with the last couple of entries noticeably featuring zero Little Tough Guys.

Soon to be posted online - I hope. This is one I'd especially recommend checking out.

Karrenola likes this.
  13. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Doing a little web surfing, I found this SCTV classic featuring Robin Williams...

Karrenola and Tony Bensley like this.
  14. Karrenola

Karen
    Yes Ronald that WAS a great one. One of us up in here put that clip on last year and we all cracked up yet again over it. It's good in soooo many ways.

So what do you think's going on with the documentary, Ronald?

Tony Bensley likes this.
  15. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    That is a great SCTV clip!

Regarding the still unreleased documentary, this seems to be dragging on almost as long as the long delayed release of The Bowery Boys DVD volumes, themselves! I do realize that at this point at least, it only seems that way!

Is there any news regarding the above, Ron?

Karrenola likes this.
  16. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    First, apologies for reposting the video. I missed it the first time around.

I don't know anything about a documentary. Can you guys enlighten me?

Karrenola likes this.
  17. Karrenola

Karen
    Here you go Ronald, Tony's piece from June 20th last year (2016) about the yet to be released documentary.

Here is the 8 minute Trailer for the "upcoming" BOWERY RHAPSODY: THE RISE AND REDEMPTION OF HOLLYWOOD'S ORIGINAL 'BRAT PACK', as posted on YouTube, July 2, 2014 (From Nearly 2 years ago - STILL Unreleased!):

I've posted an informal inquiry in the YouTube comments section, for what it's worth! While I suspect any answer might not be what we want to hear, I would like to know what happened to this documentary, especially considering an Extended Trailer was actually posted! IE. Did Handshake Away Productions go under at the wrong time?; was there some last minute copyright clearance issue?; etc.

Conquisitive minds wanna know!

EDIT: The Handshake Away Productions website is still up and running, and the IMDB page for the documentary is still up, but was updated in January, 2016. However, I find the lack of any updated release info very frustrating, and it appears an upgrade to IMDBPro is required to get more information, which may or may not be reliable, anyway! :P

I will post more information regarding the fate of this documentary if/when I can unearth some. Perhaps other regular posters here could also try a hand at some detective work?

Meanwhile, Here's Links To The 2 Aforementioned Website Pages:
    http://handshakeaway.com/?_escaped_fragment_=in-production/bowery-rhapsody/
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3744254/?ref_=nm_knf_t1

Tony Bensley likes this.
  18. 1798 Jul 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
    Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    I get the feeling that things somehow got stalled with the Documentary just after the initial posting of the trailer.

Could it be clearance issues? The cost of replicating a disc run? A perceived lack of marketability for a Bowery Boys Documentary that was only realized by Handshake Away Productions at the 11th hour? Perhaps, some combination of the aforementioned three scenarios and/or any other factors?

I for one, would still love to know what ever happened to this Documentary, even if it's news that none of us want to hear! Going by the extended Trailer, there was certainly the appearance of its release having been imminent, although time has certainly proved this to be anything but the case! At this late stage, just getting some closure would be nice, in my opinion!

What would Slip do in such an incineratin' sitiation? :blink:

P.S. I just noticed that comments for the Documentary Trailer are closed on the vimeo site, which doesn't strike me as a positive sign!

P.P.S. Apparently, the full documentary was posted online a few months back, but the provided links unfortunately seem to lead to a "Dead End" so to speak! At this point, I have no clue as to whether this documentary has been legitimately issued in some form, but at the moment, I suspect any such release might be in the digital download/streaming realm?

For what it's worth, here is the initial YouTube link:

Randy Korstick and Karrenola like this.
  19. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    I just had a fresh viewing of the final season 3 episode of THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW titled "The Big House," in which former Dead End Kid Billy Halop portrays one of the guest prisoners!

Billy Halop, looking somewhat heavier than in his salad days as a Dead End Kid, is the prisoner on the far left:
    vlcsnap-2017-07-13-14h21m05s554.png

Here's his "Bill Halop" end credit billing for THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW "The Big House" episode:
    vlcsnap-2017-07-13-14h21m17s599.png

vlcsnap-2017-07-13-14h21m33s930.png

20. Brent S

Brent S Second Unit

Brent Seguine
    Billy also guest stars in Season 5's "Opie and the Carnival."

Tony Bensley likes this.