What's new

Wuthering Heights (1939) still has no Blu-ray release? (1 Viewer)

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Any Goldwyn titles released by WB have been productions from Samuel Goldwyn Sr., for example: Guys and Dolls, Hans Christian Andersen and The Best Years of Our Lives. While you might think his son would inherit the library, it's not a safe assumption to make, given that the rights would be held by Samuel Goldwyn Productions, a different entity from The Samuel Goldwyn Company. The rights to the majority of the Samuel Goldwyn Productions are currently held by The Samuel Goldwyn Family Trust and home media distribution rights are with Warner Bros., While Paramount Global holds theatrical distribution rights through Miramax.
According to Goldwyn book the author claimed I think some films were put in trust for his wife his son his relatives etc

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
According to Goldwyn book the author claimed I think some films were put in trust for his wife his son his relatives etc
There are only a couple of films to which this doesn't apply: Porgy and Bess [rights are with the Gershwin Estate] and The Hurricane (1937) [reverted to United Artists]. Thoroughly researched outside Wikipedia.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Sam G. Made many Best Picture nominees, and few of them are on Blu. I wish they would come out. My
Collection is incomplete!
Wish someone would ask Mr F if their deal with Sam G is still on a sin that Bishops Wife was corrected and frustrating the W Heights is on TCM but no blu

mskaye

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Kochman
There are only a couple of films to which this doesn't apply: Porgy and Bess [rights are with the Gershwin Estate] and The Hurricane (1937) [reverted to United Artists]. Thoroughly researched outside Wikipedia.
it's complicated. a lot of this started at this time in '95....https://variety.com/1995/film/features/goldwyn-s-for-sale-sign-99130403/

Craig999

Agent
Real Name
Craig
I own the WB Archive Collection DVD (2020 pressing) of the 1939 version, and also the Twilight Time blu-ray of the 1970 version, with Timothy Dalton as Heathcliff. I agree that the earlier version deserves a restored blu-ray release. Actually, I always liked Timothy Dalton's Heathcliff better than Olvier, despite the unforgivable changes they made in the ending, and the overall feel of being "just another Hammer film." The 1939 film has a soul that continues to haunt me from when I first saw it as a child with my mother (now 92) on late night TV.

filmfreak

Agent
Real Name
Brian
If Warner Archive released this on DVD in 2020 than I think it's safe to say this will be coming out on Warner Archive Blu Ray eventually. Best Years of Our Lives and Guys and Dolls both came out on Warner Archive BR in 2020. Warner Archive releases 5 new films every month so it's most likely somewhere in the queue. I would assume the holdup is that they are currently in the process of restoring the film.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I wonder if WA has the rights to the Goldwyn films still... there are a bunch I need.

I had no idea WA released this on DVD... I have the pressed disc from the Goldwyn collection.

On a personal note, the last post before this thread was revived was a year ago on my 39th birthday.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steve Latshaw
Recent bookmarks