What's new

THE BOWERY BOYS on DVD: continuing discussion of Warner's eventual release plans (NEW UPDATE 10/2 Po (5 Viewers)

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
A bit surprised they didn't show up this August. September should definitely be it now, otherwise Vol 4 probably won't come out until 2014.

I'm thinking Volume 3 will still have all Leo Gorcey films and that the post-Gorcey films will be saved for Vol 4.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
JoHud said:
A bit surprised they didn't show up this August. September should definitely be it now, otherwise Vol 4 probably won't come out until 2014.

I'm thinking Volume 3 will still have all Leo Gorcey films and that the post-Gorcey films will be saved for Vol 4.
That very well could be. However, I think the Stanley Clements entries would be best spread out over two volumes for those who aren't really interested in any of the post Leo Gorcey Bowery Boys Features. This way, there's still at least eight Leo Gorcey BB titles out of twelve for Volumes 3 AND 4. I'll be fine with it either way, though I'm sure there are those who won't be, in the case of a top heavy Stanley Clements/Sans Leo Gorcey Volume 4!

With that said, I'm really hoping that Volume 3 has the usually in and out of focus MR. HEX, and/or the typically out of sequence SPY CHASERS!

CHEERS!

Tony

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I think Volume 3 will be out in the next 3-6 weeks but I too am fearing that volume 4 will not be out until early 2014. They have said on facebook that they have run into more issues than expected on Volume 3 which is why it is not already out. So I'm sure the wait will be worth it like the last 2 volumes.
Tony Bensley said:
Me thinks the Warner Archive's 12 month time frame (November 2012 - November 2013.) for issuing all four Bowery Boys Volumes may not quite be met, or that we'll even have the final fourth set in time for Christmas!

Or, perhaps Warner Archive might make an announcement next week regarding Volume 3? I do hope it's soon, as I'm waitin' on tender hooks!

CHEERS!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Randy Korstick said:
I think Volume 3 will be out in the next 3-6 weeks but I too am fearing that volume 4 will not be out until early 2014. They have said on facebook that they have run into more issues than expected on Volume 3 which is why it is not already out. So I'm sure the wait will be worth it like the last 2 volumes.
Thanks for the heads up, Randy! At least this is a good indicator that Warner is committed to getting it right, which is more important than sticking precisely to their original timeline, as difficult as the wait may be! This could also indicate that at least one of the heretofore problematic Bowery Boys titles are on the upcoming set.

CHEERS!

Tony

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
ahollis said:
Not listed for tomorrow.
In light the information provided by Randy on a previous post, this unfortunately comes as no surprise. Interestingly however, I was unable to find any corresponding information on Facebook when I navigated to The Warner Archive's FB page! Hopefully, the wait will be no longer than a few weeks.

CHEERS!

Tony

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Tony Bensley said:
In light the information provided by Randy on a previous post, this unfortunately comes as no surprise. Interestingly however, I was unable to find any corresponding information on Facebook when I navigated to The Warner Archive's FB page! Hopefully, the wait will be no longer than a few weeks.CHEERS!Tony
Hear you. Their Facebook post said coming soon and they were finishing up on the last of the masters back in August. In the past, this statement was usually followed by a release two or three weeks later. Examples would be the Jack Benny movies, Andy Hardy Volume 2 and the Tarzan Season Two series this week. This is why I'm a little disappointed but still loving the anticipation.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
At this point, I'm going by Randy Korstick's 3-6 week timeline for Volume 3's release, so am not in a panic about it, as yet. The way things are looking for me personally, Volume 3 will likely be a Christmas treat for myself, and Volume 4 will hopefully be a birthday (Late April) or Father's Day treat, as I think it's reasonable to assume we may be dealing with a 6 months plus timeline for each of the last two Bowery Boys sets, given the heretofore problematic titles that should be in each.

CHEERS!

Tony

Brent S

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Seguine

Attachments

• Bowery Boys 3.jpg
    Bowery Boys 3.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 37

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Brent S said:
That's great news, Brent! I am a bit disappointed that neither MR. HEX or SPY CHASERS is in this set, though in my opinion, including four of the Stanley Clements titles is an astute move on Warner's part, as now even the final set will still have 9 Leo Gorcey led Titles. With arguably the two most problematic Bowery Boys Titles not yet issued (Especially MR. HEX!), in my opinion its safe to say that Volume 4 will not likely be issued before March, 2014.

More disappointing from a personal standpoint is that I'll have to wait a bit to order THE BOWERY BOYS, VOLUME THREE as I've already spent my entertainment budget for the time being! This is moider, LOL!

CHEERS!

Tony

P.S. A quick check revealed that Movies Unlimited doesn't yet have this set, which is another reason I'll have to wait, as The Warner Archive won't ship outside the U.S. SIGH!!!

JeffT.

Deceased Member
296202-SpookChasers00003.jpg

I knew (if you check my earlier message postings) that some of the Stanley Clements' (THE) BOWERY BOYS entries would be packaged in this next upcoming batch and they (boldly) included four of them not leaving much for the final volume. At least two of the better ones SPOOK CHASERS (1957) and LOOKING FOR DANGER (1957) are featured in this (mixed bag) group.

I wish that CRASHING LAS VEGAS (1956) Leo Gorcey's final film in the series was (more appropriately) left for the finish but I always enjoy seeing it nonetheless mainly because it was Leo's last.

If you study the sampling preview for DIG THAT URANIUM (1956) Bernard Gorcey (aka Louie Dumbrowski) looks great (likely could have continued on in his popular role for years to come) and it was a real tragedy that the gentleman was mortally injuried in an unfortunate auto accident.

Well, this means that the final 12 films will be MR. HEX (1946), TROUBLE MAKERS (1948), TRIPLE TROUBLE (1950), BOWERY BATTALION (1951), HERE COMES THE MARINES (1952), JUNGLE GENTS (1954), BOWERY TO BAGDAD (1954), SPY CHASERS (1955), JAIL BUSTERS (1955), FIGHTING TROUBLE (1956), HOLD THAT HYPNOTIST (1957) and IN THE MONEY (1958).

I'm also looking forward to SPY CHASERS (1955) and can't wait to hear Slip Mahoney (Leo Gorcey) say to the traitorous conspiring Colonel Baxis (Leon Askin): "Alright Fatso! Here's where you get yours!"

It's a real shame that the original theatrical trailers weren't included in all of the sets!

:D

Jeff T.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
THE BOWERY BOYS VOLUME THREE is now available for Pre-Order (It's MU release date is October 11, which appears to be the 'defective' issue date for non U.S. orders, at least!) at Movies Unlimited for $39.95 (Regularly $49.95.). For that low price, this Canuck decided to pony up for it, and I greatly look forward to getting this set sometime later this month!

Here is the Movies Unlimited link for this set: http://www.moviesunlimited.com/musite/product.asp?sku=D32809

CHEERS!

Tony

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Tony Bensley said:
THE BOWERY BOYS VOLUME THREE is now available for Pre-Order (It's MU release date is October 11, which appears to be the 'defective' issue date for non U.S. orders, at least!) at Movies Unlimited for $39.95 (Regularly $49.95.). For that low price, this Canuck decided to pony up for it, and I greatly look forward to getting this set sometime later this month!

Here is the Movies Unlimited link for this set: http://www.moviesunlimited.com/musite/product.asp?sku=D32809

CHEERS!

Tony
Thanks for the heads up. This Canuck ordered it too, and Beast With Five fingers.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
JeffT. said:
http://pics.imcdb.org/0ge29/296202-SpookChasers00003.jpgI knew (if you check my earlier message postings) that some of the Stanley Clements (THE) BOWERY BOYS entries would be packaged in this next upcoming batch and they (boldly) included four of them not leaving much for the final volume. At least two of the better ones SPOOK CHASERS (1957) and LOOKING FOR DANGER (1957) are featured in this (mixed bag) group.I wish that CRASHING LAS VEGAS (1956) Leo Gorcey's final film in the series was (more appropriately) left for the finish but I always enjoy seeing it nonetheless mainly because it was Leo's last.If you study the sampling preview for DIG THAT URANIUM (1956) Bernard Gorcey (aka Louie Dumbrowski) looks great (likely could have continued on in his popular role for years to come) and it was a real tragedy that the gentleman was mortally injuried in an unfortunate auto accident.Well, this means that the final 12 films will be MR. HEX (1946), TROUBLE MAKERS (1948), TRIPLE TROUBLE (1950), BOWERY BATTALION (1951), HERE COMES THE MARINES (1952), JUNGLE GENTS (1954), BOWERY TO BAGDAD (1954), SPY CHASERS (1955), JAIL BUSTERS (1955), FIGHTING TROUBLE (1956), HOLD THAT HYPNOTIST (1957) and IN THE MONEY (1958).I'm also looking forward to SPY CHASERS (1955) and can't wait to hear Slip Mahoney (Leo Gorcey) say to the traitorous conspiring Colonel Baxis (Leon Askin): "Alright Fatso! Here's where you get yours!"It's a real shame that the original theatrical trailers weren't included in all of the sets!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCWGaur5CXUJeff T.
For those who want at least some Bowery Boys/Dead End Kids Trailers, there is a 60 minute DVD dedicated to these that's available through Movies Unlimited for $14.99: http://www.moviesunlimited.com/musite/product.asp?sku=D81131&shopRef=%3Arelated

CHEERS!

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
I'm kinda surprised so many Stanley Clements films made it onto Vol 3 myself. I haven't seen any of these so I'll be looking forward to seeing how they stack up.

Though I do find it strange that both of the swan song Bernard and Leo Gorcey movies are included but the very first Clements films isn't. It would have made the series transition in Vol 3 more interesting but since the second Clements film is included it's not a big deal. Maybe that one needed more work?

Very interesting that the product description of Vol 3 flat out guarantees Vol 4 is coming. I think March 2014 is a good guess considering the gap between 2 and 3 was almost exactly 5 months. Hopefully it comes out sooner but I wouldn't be surprised if it ran into delays as well.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
fighting-trouble-movie-poster-1956-1020703208.jpg

One aspect I enjoy is that through this common online medium we are all able to share personal thoughts and knowledge on these classic film series like THE BOWERY BOYS which is nice considering we individually likely live hundreds of miles apart yet are drawn together with a common bonding interest.

I totally agree. It would have been preferable to have DIG THAT URANIUM (1956) marking Bernard Gorcey and Benny Bartlett's final appearances, CRASHING LAS VEGAS (1956) marking Leo Gorcey's final appearance and Jimmy Murphy's debut and FIGHTING TROUBLE (1956) marking Stanley Clements and Queenie Smith's debuts all kept together in chronological order as these three films marked significant transitions in the series.

But there is no real transition to speak of. Stanley Clements is suddenly there like he had been part of the group all along.

(In my opinion) FIGHTING TROUBLE (1956) is a better film than HOT SHOTS (1956) and that may have something to do with the former's exclusion from the volume 3 set. The need to keep some sort of quality balance.

:D

Jeff T.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks